5b south Rattlesnakes

mdbrown

Long Time Member
we are about to leave to hunt 5b south for elk near happy jack, the wife has this obsession of not being bit by a rattlesnake. what is the snake population in the area? thanks for the help. maybe a little info on taranculas too , is there any there?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 09:22PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 09:21?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 05:58?PM (MST)

hey u r in the woods - anything is possible - i do not recall seein any snakes on my last few times in 5b -

don't set on any wood piles or fallin trees and you should be ok

make sure she carries a long walkin stick when she ventures out of camp!

go buy her a ski pole - /trekker pole - great for hikin gives you something to discourage any snake at a safe distance

good luck on ur hunt!

Not any tarantulas but I have seen some timber rattlers in that unit,their pretty cool looking,all dark and black markings,boy I bet their bite really stings. Have fun be safe

I got my feet all tangled up in a rattler last time I was there on an elk scout.

It was 61 degrees, raining, at the 7200 ft elevation and the last thing I was expecting. Here on the desert I am looking for one all the time. I wasn't there. I am now.

There are some of the timber rattlers and the AZ Black Rattlers up there, but they are few and far between. I have seen several tarantulas near clint's well, but they are not big like the ones in the desert. Neither have ever been a problem on any of my hunts in that area. Just enjoy the elk. This is going to be a good year.

I've hunted 5BS a couple times and have never seen a single snake, and wouldn't worry about it at all. Just watch where you step or put your hands and you'll be fine.

Those Arizona Black rattlers are sinister looking devils. I saw one in 22 South a few years ago. It was almost dark and I was walking down a two track and saw this black stick across the track, and then it moved! I walked up to a couple feet of it, and man did that thing ever look spooky. I'm told they're agressive, but this one was pretty docile. Of course, I had a walking stick that would have tamed him if he hadn't behaved.

Buddy just about stepped on a huge rattler in 6A across from 5B a couple of years ago. It was laying across the trail in the dark on his way back from hunting. In 5B we have never seen one in 20 years but I am sure there are a few there. I have walked in the dark through the woods there so many times and never worried about snakes.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom