5bs vs 6a vs 8 early archery

BigPig

Very Active Member
These are all pretty close as far as draw odds. If you goal was a 325+ bull and you were more concerned with ample opportunity of bulls in that class versus the off chance at a 350+, which unit would you choose?

6a has more bulls in it than 8 or 5. It also is bigger and more people. There are 325+ and 350+ in all of those areas. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the units you mentioned. I dont know 5bs as well as I know 6 and 8 but so I dont put in for it but I know there are elk everywhere

I helped a buddy on the two week archery hunt in 6A last September up on the north end of the unit and we were into elk 13 of the 14 days. We never sealed the deal, but had some nice bulls inside 100 yards almost every day that would have been dead if it had been rifle season. I'd go there again in a heartbeat,as we had a great time. We were told that the following week they were really fired up and this year the season is moved back a week and should be great.

Big Pig, 6A has more hunting pressure than any unit in AZ especially for elk and the elk can be hard to find on some hunts. There are more elk there but there will be less pressure in 5BS and don't overlook 5BN but there aren't as many elk. 8 is a good unit too. If you decide to put in here and get drawn and would like some suggestions let me know. Regards, CA

5Bs or 8. Every one of those units is easily and does easily produce 325 inch bulls every year.
But I agree with the others on the amount of hunters in 6A. Alot. I like 8 alot and theirs some bruisers that come out of that unit but for the quality of the hunt I like 5BS. But dont put in for it, its been my first choice for the past few years . lol

- lots of bulls over 350 in every unit in the state.

if I'm applyin for early archery elk - 8 first and then 5bs.

my biggest bull comes from 8

in my opinion 8 has better elk but 5bs is easier to hunt

My choices would be in order 8, 6A, 5A, then 5BN or 5S. The north end of 5BS is on fire right now and the south and middle gets multiple blinds on most the water sources.

I haven't hunted 6 or 8, but have hunted 5BS a couple times. We had real nice elk hunts each time we were there, and saw some excellent bulls. My son shot his first ever elk at 16 years old in 5BS on a muzzleloader hunt. It was a young 5x6 that scored 334, and we saw much bigger bulls than that on both of the hunts I have made there.

They are ALL good units though.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom