63a moose

baerman

My wife drew the cow tag this year. I've done some research but am not feeling too confident yet. I drove to the area last week but a terenchal downpour hampered my efforts.

I'm curious, is there a good boat ramp near Heise to put a jet boat in and can you make it all the way down to the confluence of Henry's and South Fork? Is the north or south channel best for floating and for moose? Are there any decent free camping spots in the area? Do you need a boat to hunt and retrieve a moose?

I also drew an extra whitetail doe tag. Looking forward to spending some quality time in the area.

Thanks for your input!

If you're gonna jet boat, you could use the Byington (Poplar) ramp and go down. We prefer to launch at Menan and go up to the juction and hunt the lower ends for bulls. For a cow hunt, I would ask a couple farmers for permission and shoot one off the alfalfa that you could take the truck to.

Thanks for the info. That confluence area looks like a great area. Is there a boat ramp at Beaver #####?

Yeah, it is an improved camping area. Ramp and dock with camping spaces and picnic shelters. Can hunt the 400 acres jof BLM ust south also. Do a simple google search for it. We live in Idaho Falls, so never drive any further than Menan.

Most of your WT will be jump shooting the banks or islands, but there are some really nice bucks there in addition to the doe tag you already have.

I've been fishing the twin bridges monthly around Twin Bridges and there is an island we have nicknamed moose island cuz its always full of moose activity. During the rut in the past years tiny little island has had a massive bull that does his business with the ladies here. We are always having to be careful walking through there, we see them almost every time we are in the area. If you park at the Twin bridges boat ramp/camp ground and walk straight west from the boat ramp following the south channel (not the main river. You will cross another little side channel that runs north-south and connects the main river to the south channel. This is where the island begins. This area borders a lot of farms and shouldn't be to hard to find a decent size cow. We have hunted whitetail in the area also but in the past 5 years it has been inundated with hunters. Still there are quite a few around.

thanks for the info namlots. I actually pulled into this camp ground and boat ramp last week when I was in the area. Wish I could have hiked around a bit. Looking forward to fishing and hunting those river bottoms.

Baerman,
Send me an email if haven't gotten your wife a moose yet. I know just the spot and get you the landowner info for permission if you would like. If he isn't busy he might even come load it up for you.
[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom