76 Archery or 76 3rdRifle?

• Thread starter HillbillyNnevada
  • Start date
H

HillbillyNnevada

If you had to choose one of these hunts for elk, which would you choose?

I like the idea of getting to hunt in the rut during bowseason but I like to rifle hunt also. I am concerned that snow could be a major limiting factor in the 3rd season due to the high altitude.

If anybody has insight on what to expect on a 3rd season elk hunt, I would like to hear it. Thanks.

Come on guys, its not like this unit is a big secret or something. I thought for sure someone would have responded. I know someone knows something about how deep the snow gets in the 3rd season.

I hunted 76 a few years ago black powder ,elk elk every where , few hunters. Between that and the poastings from rocketman and others who have done well this year I don't know why you would want to risk a hunt on weather 3rd season unless it was a cow tag.Good snow the elk are down,too much snow your screwed , no snow, after 2 monthes of hunting the bulls will be well hidden and holding tight. Nope , archery , smoke pole ,or 1st rifle would be my only choice for a bull tag ..3rd cow go for it !!

No I don't know any one that has hunted 3rd in 76 , but I looked up the stats. 2008 3rd rifle 16 bull 89 cow 9 calf . 63 antlered hunters 16 bull 16% success. 379 total hunters 30% success. 2008 archery 170 hunters 50 bulls 2 cow 31 % success the archery guys did twice as good as the 3rd rifle bull guys!! 1st rifle bulls 51% , muzzy bull 47% but those tags take a long time too get!! You may want to look into unit 66 Its right next door and takes way less points . Good elk ,lots of wildernes 2008 archery 237 hunters 55 bulls 0 cows 23% sucess and thats a eather sex tag had some of those guys arrowed a cow the % would be much higher . 1st rifle bull tag 42% success not bad!! You may not see as many BIG BULLS AS 76 but there are some,but there are a lot of good bulls,depends on what your goals are.Or do a archery 76 then a 66 rifle 2 or 3 years later.Oh and the snow 3rd season can be 6" or 3' in a matter of days and the weather report at that altitude means nothing,but I would say 6" to 16" is pretty common.Hope this some help ..

Are there any roads that go from the Creede side to the Ouray side? I need to do some scouting next summer and I would like to check it out before I draw.

Stillhunting,
Thanks for the great info and input. I still have a little time to figure out what I want to do so I will mull it over a bit.

I've heard from some people that have pretty good intel on 76 and they said that it's a much better unit early on. After the archery/muzzleloader pressure and then followed by snow that a fair amount of these elk will push north and south off the unit. The unit has some high elevations and a lot of rough terrain, it receives snow very early in the season. I was told that there are a few years when by late rifle seasons a lot of elk could be gone and hunters struggle trying to fill a tag with a mature bull and by that I mean a bull to justify the years of preference points put in waiting on a tag.

I hope this helps.......

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom