7mm or .300wm.

General! Elk is my preference but it is nice to be able to do what you want in a pinch.

My preference is .300 WinMag. Some may say it's overkill, but for me I really like it when an animal doesn't move after you shoot it. IMO the best all around gun for just about anything. If you're on a budget and want only one gun for everything, the .300 will fill the bill. All that being said, I have seen moose, elk, deer and antelope killed with both.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I don't think you can go wrong with either one really. They are the same "class" of calibers and represent two of the original magnums of the .308 and .284 diameters. Easy to find ammo for either, easy to reload, both will do great under 500.

The most popular bullets are usually 180 gr in the 300 mag, 160 gr in the 7 mag. Those loads you get a little more energy with the 300, but it kicks a little more too. Doubt that most people can tell the difference and "kick" is unique to each shooter anyway. If you flinch, you flinch... whether it's a .22 or 50 cal. See if you can shoot either one and decide for yourself.

Either way... enjoy the new gun!

7mm is fast, and does pretty good. 300 is a little slower but the energy is better at longer range. if you are wanting to noot ruin meat then id shoot the 300. if you shoot a 7mm at short range it will be going to fast and will blood shot your meat really bad

IF IT WERE MY CHOICE.....I WOULD GO WITH THE .300 WM. I LIKE A TAD BIGGER ROUND THAT COVERS ALL HUNT POSSIBILITIES/ANIMALS.....NO TELLING WHAT FUTURE HUNTS YOU MAY GO ON. ...............YD.

I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag and two of my buddies shoot 300 Win Mags. There is very little difference in the two when talking actual performance on game. The 300 may have a slight edge using 200 gr. bullets. Either one will make 400+ yard kills on elk if the shooter does his part. The 7mm Rem mag may have slightly less felt recoil due to 160 or 175 grain bullets vs 180 or 200 grain bullets in the 300 Win mag. Bullets of less than 160 gr in the 7mm and 180 gr in the 300 mag are (IMHO) too light for elk.

Phantom Hunter

I've owned both and prefer the 300. Better ballistics, I've shot everthing from red fox, coyotes, deer, elk, bears etc..Doesn't ruin tht animals like my 7mag did. Don't notice the kick except at the range. I shoot a Ruger M77, stainless. I love the gun, light-weight, easy to clean and whatever I point it at dies. Had a Browning Bar 7mag, that I loved too, till I got the 300.

In my experience, the 300 kicks more than the 7mm. As far as performance, either one will work.

The 7mm out preforms the 300 at longer ranges and has less recoil, however, a 300 WM is a great round as well. I don't think you can make a wrong choice here. My personal critera for selecting a caliber is selecting the one with the least amount of recoil that will still get the job done on the critters I want to hunt.

I don't think that there is alot of difference between the two calibers. Either one would dump a elk as long as you do your part.

I'd go with the 300 and here's why: a 300 can shoot anything from 125-220 grain bullet. The largest 7mm bullet is about 170 grains.

Yes, they'll both kill an elk, but the 300 is more versatile.

300 hands down is the best! With all the different varieties you can come up with for loads. And the awesome capabilities. I have shot an antelope, mule deer, my dad shot a whitetail, and 2 cow elk, and one big bull, all went right down with very minimal meat damage. 180 grain winchester power points cheap, very effective, and accurate and very easy to find. You can even find 300 mag bullets at alco they are so common, where the 7 mag is common but a little harder to find bullets.
180 grain bullet from a 300 mag has the exact same trajectory as a 130 grain 270 win.

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'd get the 300 win. I beleive it'll give you a slight edge at longer distances. With either caliber, a good bullet, and a well placed shot you'll kill an elk at 500 yds.

the 300WSM now has 130gr. factory loads. should be perfect for deer, and 180gr for elk. Super versatile cartridge!

I have owned both, and really like both calibers.

However, I like the 300 a bit better. I have used it on deer,
elk, antelope, and bear. Performed great on all. None of the
animals went far. Used to hunt with smaller calibers, much
happier with the switch...

Buy both problem solved. Every gun collection should have a big 30 cal and every longrange gun collection should have a 7mm.

If you are leaning toward elk....go with the 300 and use premium bullets. Those 200 gr Accubonds are hard to beat. Great balistic coefficient. It will do the job for deer and elk. I second the 300 Wby. but would lean towards the Remington version if you could find one.
Moose

I've owned the 7mm, 300wm and now use the non-magnum 300wsm for everything. Less recoil and outstanding performace. Bought a laminated stainless Tikka three years ago that shoots .5 moa with my hand loads. Have owned $2,000 rifles that wouldn't shoot that tight. Took it to South Africa plus elk and deer.

o man you did it now! this thread may just compete with the sfw threads going on right now. both are great cartridges. i think your comparing a green apple to a red apple.just pick one. the 300 has an little edge ballistically but the field has proven the 7mm just as deadly with most big game. also the 7mm shoots a bit flatter down range.
comes down to bullet placement. a good shot with either will kill
Also from what ive heard they recommend against the 7mm for bison,i hear it just punches holes.however for elk sized game cant go wrong with either.

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

Flip a coin they are both amazing. I love the speed and knockdown power of both rounds. I have shot both but usually stay with my 7mag im just more confident with it. I dont think anyone could go wrong with either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom