7mm STW

Blackknight

Anybody with some thoughts and experience for this caliber? I've seen this video beyond belief and I believe they were taking game out 700 and 1000 yds out. Looks like a great flat shooting gun with plenty of velocity & energy!!!

My dad has one. A 1917 enfield sporterized and rebarrled to 7stw. He shoots 150 gr partition handloads. Don't know the specifics on the load, but it is accurate. He took a bull elk
3 years ago, 1 shot thru the heart at 386 yds (rangefinder).
Elk stumbled sideways about 2 steps and was done. Can't get much better than that. Going to buy the gun, if I can ever
talk him out of it.
jdb

i beleive the stw they were using had little bit different case to it,,, i think i read that they straightend the neck up a little to get a better powder burn,,, iam not 100 percent sure but its a fast gun thats for sure,,,,,cbryant

>i beleive the stw they were
>using had little bit different
>case to it,,, i think
>i read that they straightend
>the neck up a little
>to get a better powder
>burn,,, iam not 100 percent
>sure but its a fast
>gun thats for sure,,,,,cbryant

My brother has a 7mm STW 40deg Ackley Improved. He uses 8mm Rem Mag brass, resizes the brass. He trims and reams the necks to remove excess material. He then fire forms the shell with a reduced load. Once the shell is fire formed he has to reverify the neck demensions with a micrometer, trims - reams - turns as neccessary.

It is alot of work no matter if he uses 7mm STW factory brass or 8mm RM brass.

His loads are much hotter than anything I have seen on the powder mfr's web sites. He only hunts mulies and uses Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tips pushing 3500 fps. His brass is only good for 4 (full house) reloads max and then he is back to making his brass again.

The other day he was in desperate need of some shooters choice. He methodically cleans his rifle's bore every 5th shot. The reason he likes Shooters Choice is that does not effect his zero. So he can clean his barrel after a range session, come back another day (or month) and the zero is perfect.

His rifle shoots 5 shots in 1/2" @ 100yds all day long and has taken several very nice bucks at 600yds.

The 7mm STW will go thru brass if you "push it."

Don

I have been shooting one since I was 13 years old. I couldn't be any happier with the caliber. Shooting in eastern montana where long shots are a given, you have to have flat shooting cartridge like this or one similiar too it. My first stw was a b-abolt 7mm rem. rechambered to stw. It cost me 35 dollars to have it done. Now i have accumark chambered in one I have killed goats over 600 and deer over 500 with just one shot. Very accurate, easy to shoot, 7mm ultra is very similiar, also 300 weath. and 300 ultra are excellent calibers also. If you have long shots and want to make them count get one.

>I have been shooting one since I was 13 years old. I couldn't be any happier with the caliber. Shooting in eastern montana where long shots are a given, you have to have flat shooting cartridge like this or one similiar too it.
>My first stw was a b-abolt 7mm rem. rechambered to stw. It cost me 35 dollars to have it done. Now i have accumark chambered in one I have killed goats over 600 and deer over 500 with just one shot.
>Very accurate, easy to shoot, 7mm ultra is very similiar, also 300 weath. and 300 ultra are excellent calibers also. If you have long shots and want to make them count get one.

-----------

well said.

I have one and really like it. I use it a lot on ground hogs and coyotes with a 120 Ballistic Tip at 3500fps. I can do 3300 with a 160gr bullet. I would think 3500 would be possible with a 140gr bullet. Shot three elk with just a pass through and minimal damage with a 160 Speer Grand Slam. Had to shoot them all again with the first shot being more then fatal with a semi-expanding bullet. Not the rifle but this bullet sucks to say the least. My rifle does not like any other 160, but will shoot the Speer into .5' for 5. I don't like shooting lighter for elk, so I turned it into my varmint rig.

Ive had an stw for about 10 years, shot a ton of hogs and deer with it.If you do your part it will do the rest. Love that gun.

canhunter have you tried hornaday 162gr sst or amax my friend has awesome results in a 700 bdl sub-moa out to 500yds

No, not tried the Hornady SST, but did try the BTSP. I have some rifles that like the Hornady SP or BTSP, but my 300RUM shot only average with all Hornady. The STW flat sucked with just about everything other then 160 Grand Slams. Weird for sure. I will give them a try as I really like the gun but it is super picky on the heavier bullets. Major Typo saying you will get 3500 with a 140 that should have said 3400.

I'd be carefull with Speer Grand Slams my friend was shooting 160grs out of a 7mm Weatherby this year and he shot his bull 8 times 4 out 8 were in the vital,shots ranged from 40yds to 125yd they had to stay back and let bull bleed out bucause he was out of ammo, he broke both hips while bull was running away and that anchored him after the first ones in the vitals, upon butchering we found that all bullets passed through with little or no expansion even after hitting major bones.
I'm not trying to start anything just my first hand experince.

Load that baby with some Barnes X Triple Shocks and you will just need one bullet. Controlled expansion is the way to go!
You will Love them!

TM

Ive been considering getting my 7mm rem. punched out to the the STW lately as well. will you gain that much if you keep a 24 inch barrel on it? and how much does it cost to get done?

You will gain a lot of muzzle blast and a little velocity. The more overbore the cartridge is the longer the barrel needs to be to get a reasonable gain. I would not think of a STW on a gun with less than a 26" barrel. Going to 28" is better yet. You will not see a benefit in the field by rechambering a 24" pipe to 7 STW.

Rechambering runs anywhere from $75 to $100 to have done. I would highly recommend a rebarrel with better quality parts than using the factory stuff.

Randy11,
I am sorry to say it, but your project will likely cost more than $100. If your existing 7mm Remington Mag is a factory bolt action rifle then it is probably built on an action with a magazine box and ejection port designed for cartridges with a case length of @2.5 inches. The 7mm STW is over a third of an inch longer and therefore will not fit in the action no matter what the barrel is chambered for.
If you use a single shot action such as a Ruger #1 then these issues do not apply. If this is a "must have" project you might keep your eyes open for a rifle chambered in 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 H&H Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, etc. etc. Then do a rebarrel. Good luck.

I guess it depends on the gun because I had two rifles built on Long Action 700 actions. My 7STW is a 700 that started out as a 300WM. My 300RUM started out as a 700 7mm RM. I needed the cut out magazine sleeve for the 300 rounds to fit properly. Just to clarify I went with the STW after it was introduced, and then to the RUM after it was introduced.

just some input, a remington 700 is a remington 700! the one chamberd in 270 is the same lenghth as an ultramag, an extended box will cost about $20.00. and unless your very freindly with a smithy, it will cost much more than $100.

I've found one in Rem 700. I am thinking about buying it or a 300 weatherby. I do not reload. Is there a good factory cartidge for this thing? It kinda sounds like it can be very picky on bullets.

Mike Henne

If you don't reload I don't know if I would go with either. If it was one of those for sure it would be the 300wby. I would go with a more traditional round simply for ammo availability. There is a lot of ammo for the 300wby, but not in as many locations as the 300wm or 7mm Rem. Plus the WBY ammo is hella expensive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom