8 points for Utah Antelope?

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
Hate asking this, but what unit would you put in for if you had 8 points for Antelope in Utah? I am talking trophy potential. Its for my mom. She has been saving up points for awile and she thought about hunting the Parker as I did, but I am thinking there are much better options from what I have seen out there lately. If anyone knows anything about the Fillmore unit I would like to here about it. Any help is appreciated. You can PM if you would rather.

JMO but I would not burn 8 points on the Parker, don't know anything about the Fillmore unit but my family has had great luck on the west desert riverbed unit, including a 80" buck my wife killed during the archery hunt. If it was my hunt that's the unit I would apply for.

The Filmore unit is not horrible but its not great either she would draw next year. If my memory serves me correct the Nine Mile Range Creek unit would give her a excellent chance to draw as she would most likely get a bonus tag I have seen nice buck on this unit, The San Rafael North is about one year off but a good tag, two of the three west desert tags are about two years out for her right now. These are all for the rifle tags, take a look at http://www.biggamedrawodds.com/big.game.draw.odds.utah.resident.pronghorn.antelope.html for more info on the tags. I would personally go with the Nine Mile Range Creek unit.

I don't know if she's a resident or how many points it would take but I'd take a look into a CWMU, specifically Deseret.

Deseret is a good choice also. Take a look at that draw website and it should help influence your decision. I know if you did go with the Filmore unit their are nice antelope but the iffy part is the fact their is not a ton of them.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-13 AT 09:12AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-13 AT 08:29?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-25-13 AT 08:20?PM (MST)

I have taken an antelope buck off the San Rafael North and the San Rafael Desert. I was along with my daughter when she took one off the Fillmore unit. I'd hunt the Deseret if I had the chance. Feel free to PM me w/ any specifics on these 4 areas?good luck.

Thanks for the help. I will have to look at a Range Creek map. I guess it isn't that big of a deal to wait for 2 more years if need be. 30, If you would, pm about the San Rafeal Desert. What's your thoughts?

Just remember as you wait the points will slightly creep up, also I know the Range Creek is not as big as other units but I have seen nice bucks on their, and relatives have hunted it and had a blast. Really I would take a look at the draw odds, game quality coming off the units, and so on. That will give you the best idea of where to draw. I know some people have gotten huge antelope off the crappy of units, if you put in the time scouting its possible however its still Utah and you will be at a automatic disadvantage because their may only be 1 B&C buck on a unit every 2 or 3 years due to the lower numbers of Antelope out here. If a B&C buck is what your after go to Wyoming, if a quality hunt is what your after research good units, that are within your point range and give us pictures of your great time in the field. I am more than willing to give more info but if I was you I would take the time to see what units you could draw, and also calculate if a 2-4 year wait is worth it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-13 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]ELKOHOLIC PM'd you.

And here's my San Rafael Desert buck:

8491utah_antelope_2.jpg

My North Rafael buck:

1383antelope.jpg

And my daughter's Fillmore unit buck (Black Point):

1810nic_antelope_2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-13 AT 06:12PM (MST)[p]San Rafael North is the old Icelander unit. If you were to look at the record book for Utah antelope. Almost all of the entries will come from this area. I had an archery tag in 2008 and had a blast chasing a buck just like the one posted above. Never was able to seal the deal on that buck, but I ended taking one that that scored just shy of 80 and it had 8 1/2 bases. Great unit and has great access for some "mom" hunting.

Stay away from the Parker with 8 points! Parker isn't worth 2-points. It is still recovering from overharvest and transplant removals.
My opinion, I would apply for 1.)San Rafael North 2.) SW Desert 3.) Deseret.

I don't know much about the Fillmore unit, but I do know a lot about the Parker (Plateau), the SW Desert, San Rafael North and the Deseret. I have heard that the West Desert units (rattlesnake and rush valley) are good units as well.

Eight points is worth holding out for a trophy unit. Don't burn them.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

I agree with Dr_Hunter, I hunted the Parker with a friend last fall and did not see anything big worth wasting 8 points on.
North San Rafael would be my first choice if I could do it over again.
When I had 8 points a few years ago I drew the Bonanza unit, WOW what a waste of points that unit is. It was great back in the late 90's when my son drew the tag but now it is nothing more than a natural gas field with NO habitat left.

the beaver unit is a sleeper area with lots of goats and a chance at a 80in goat. i had the tag in 2011 and killed a buck that scored 79 5/8 and he had a broken tip. its a great hunt with easy access. if you want send me a pm i can tell you all you want to know about that unit

simple question but I have not been able to find the answer myself and have not had this problem in the past.

where can I find how many non-resident tags are available for each hunt?

I am applying with a friend and we do not want to put in for a hunt that only has 1 non-resident tag when there are 2 of us on the application.

thanks!

Don't overlook the Three Corners. There are huge goats out there and it's a cool place to spend a week. My daughter had it last year and we had a blast.-----SS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom