90 yards sucker bet....

arch3614elk

I won $30.00 bucks from a guy at the archery range. He said he was deadly all the way up to 90 yards, and that him and his Mathews Z7 Magnum could prove it... He went 1 for 9.

Sounds like he is deadly when he gets lucky 10% of the time.

Thats what I am at about 75 yards... Would never consider my self deadly at that range. I just dont have the equipment or skill.

Im sure there are guy?s that have the equipment and the skills to do it but Im not one of them. I can keep 6 arrows in a small size size paper plate at 60 yards and for me that's pushing it. As it is my pin darn near covers the whole plate at that distance and the further out I get the more movement that occurs and it becomes much more critical. I don't know how guy?s are able to stay so rock solid out at 90 to 100 yards but that s impressive for sure. A man?s got to know his limitations.

GBA

How can guys even see the target out that far? Sorry that may be a dumb question, but I really have a hard time 'zero-ing in' on something past 60yds, and 60yds gets somewhat tough for me.

I get a little tired of hearing how good guys are because they can shoot well out to 90 or 100 yards... Good for them and all, but to me I have a hard time understanding why they even bowhunt when they try and kill from that range.

As long as he keeps it at the range I guess. I get really tired of people bragging about long shots on animals. It is nothing to brag about and will hurt archery hunting in the long run with people complaining about the efficiency of our equipment and more people thinking it is easy to get within bow range thus switching over.

The real challenge is getting close to the game, not being able to hit a straw bail at 100 yards.

arch3614elk, so im curious, what happened to this guy?s other 8 arrows? Did he at least hit the target or were they all clean misses? Sounds like it could of cost him more than the #30.00 bucks he lost to you. LOL...

GBA

"The real challenge is getting close to the game, not being able to hit a straw bail at 100 yards."

Spot on!

BOHNTR )))---------->

I have no issues with anyone wanting to practice long distance, 90 to 100 yards seems excessive. I would waste lot of good arrows out at those distances as I can't do it and I have no desire to do that but to each his own. As was said above and I agree that getting close to the game is the real challenge and a real rush. Otherwise I would just hang up the bow altogether. It is a lot of work and should be respected. For those of you out there that can consistently take big deer on spot and stalk at close range, my hat is off to you, I have come close but haven't sealed the deal unless out of a tree stand. But I keep trying and I truly love the challenge and 40 yards is my max. Im getting closer every year.

GBA

My max is 50 yards. To many negative things can happen beyond that. The real fun is stalking in close to get the perfect shot.

The idea for the purpose of practicing at 80 to 100 yrds is to make yourself more confident at 20-60 yrds. I know that when i started practiing at long ranges not only did my confidence go up at closer ranges but my 3d scores went up and my indoor. but that evan said with shooting softball sized groups at 90 yrd i limit my shooting to 60 max.

Moseley Middleton

At what range are you a shooter and what range are you a hunter......I think it's alot more in pressive when someone tells me the harvested an animal at less than 20 yards, opposed to + 40

In a few short weeks we will have some results and horror stories of 80+ yard shots and how they are ethical.

I can't wait!

These "how far is too far" discussions always bring out strong opinions, that's for sure.

I'll agree with one thing no question...whoever is shooting softball-sized groups at 90 yards consistently...like another poster said...have you ever watched Olympic archery?? Gold medalist in waiting. :)

That 90 yd. stuff is for rifles,..whats the tof on a arrow at 90?..the deer takes a step or 2 and turns a "kill" shot into a green arrow or a ham shot..makes me cringe when i hear guys flinging arrows that far.Show the animal some respect.
Mike

I'll make the same bet with you! 90 yards, 1 arrow, $50.00 prize. If its a kill shot I take the green, if not its yours!?!?!?!?

I would venture to say there are guys on here that can shoot 90 yd tight groups. Not every one can do it or practices enough.

When I practice a lot (last year), I was amazed at how tight of groups I could get at 70+ yds.

That being said, I still felt that it was just practice and my max field shot is 60 yds. Practicing further distances does make it easier and an archer more confident at closer ranges.

What everyone always misses in this discussion is that effective archery range is different for everyone, and only YOU can decide what it really is, then have the integrity to stick to it. No one can do this for you. It's on your head, be it 30 yards or 100. It's on you!

Problem is (and I may even be guilty of this at times) that we need to base our effective range on our average (or maybe even worst) group size, not that one great group. Then, after we honestly answer the "average" group size question, we need to double it in order to account for field conditions like heat, fatigue, cold, out of breath, wind, adrenaline, angles, light, or lack of light, animal behavior, etc. It's awful tempting to think you are good enough to make that 80, 90, 100 yard shot when you CAN in fact shoot a deadly group at that range.......sometimes. But let me just assure you right here and now (and I don't care who you are)that your best group WON'T be the one you are shooting at that buck of a lifetime! Ever! It's much more likely it will be your worst shot. So next time you draw that bow on a buck, think about that bad group you shot at 80 yards and ask yourself if that is going to work in your current situation. If the answer is no......let down.

I'd much rather tell my friends (and myself) about the buck that got away because I made the right decision than tell them about the buck I gut shot at too long a distance and couldn't recover.

And I'm not just talking here. I HAVE shot too far and wounded animals as a direct result in the past. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes. Will I be perfect? Nope. But I'll darn sure do my best.

Happy Hunting boys!

utahheadgear +1

The closer you get the more you eliminate or reduce all those elements for successful shot placement. Get in close, make a clean kill, that's hunting with bow and arrow and that's a rush in itself.

GBA

I know a guy that would take your bet. I pulled this off of Kevin Wilkey's Facebook. The group was shot at 100 with Grim Reaper broadheads. The top three are touching. I know he only does this to perfect his form and show any imperfections in his set-up. If it pounds at 100, it'll do the same at 50.

2981group.jpg

Theres lots of folks posting up youtube videos these days.
How bout this, , , ,
1)Take an average size balloon (8"-10" dia, any highly visible color), tape it securely to a target,
2)Get back 90 yards, shoot it with a hunting bow AND HIT IT WITH THE FIRST SHOT!

Video the whole sequence, start to finish, and post it up on here.

Then your ready for the Olympics!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-11 AT 10:02PM (MST)[p]Any bets on the 90 shot at the balloon?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-11 AT 08:01AM (MST)[p]No bets! I just get the impression from some on here that it is not that hard to do.
I have been shooting a bow for over forty years now and I have seen some pretty amazing things.
I suppose if I set my mind to it, & practiced at it enough, I might be able to do it myself but, I doubt very much that I could get to the point where I could do it every time.
Been on too many hunts where myself, & others took shots they shouldn't have.
It never ended well!
If your that good, join the Olympics. Just don't pull that crap in the field & then come ask me to help you find your wounded bull!

Leave the trick shots and the showing off on the target range!

Still would like to see an unedited, honest, video of someone making that shot as described.

Heck, there's a lot of guys who can't hit a balloon sized object in a hunting situation with a RIFLE at 100yds, let along a bow and arrow. This whole long range idea is heading into archery and it's not good. Sounds like the guy is legion in his own mind.

This String Sight thing is just stringwalking for compounds. Traditional archers been using this forever with recurves and longbows.

Whilkey is that good. I had a chance to shoot a 3D round with him, didn't know him from Adam until after the round. Impressive to say the least.

Indeed long range archery is coming, or already here! I too am guilty of shooting long range out hunting, but like said above, isn't the rush in it getting as close for the shot as possible? I do have a blast shooting at long distances at a target. But as with everything out there, we will have people that will take those long shots and then post on here asking for some "miracle" guidance on how to find his deer/elk that he shot last week at 145 yards and can't find it. Part of the game. The discussions will rage on.

Watching a video of someone target practicing on youtube isn't the same as making a bet and having them shoot somewhere other than their front yard. Another thing mentioned is hunting at long range. I don't have long range targets set up where I will be elk hunting but I know there are folks that shoot round bales at 100 yards and will carry that over to the field. It's an ugly situation and there will be no getting away from it unless bow hunting is outlawed. It's sad to see.

On the other hand I do enjoy watching someone master shots with their weapon of choice. Pretty impressive indeed.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-11 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]Hello Andymansavage,
Thanks for finding, and posting that impressive video. Another magnificent example of what can be accomplished when a person sets their mind to it.

My humble congratulations to the shooter!

The debate here is, should we, as ethical HUNTERS, attempt, condone, or applaud, those kind of shots in the field?

The current record for a confirmed sniper kill is 1.54 MILES!
(thats 2,710.4 yds!)
The Wimbledon 1000 yd shooters routinely shoot groups in the 6"-8" range.
We now know that a guy can hit a balloon with an arrow shot from a bow at 160 yds!

I think you, as well as all the other experianced hunters following this thread, would agree that that type of shooting has no place in an actual hunting situation.

In my opinion, the reason so many come on here with a negative reaction to that type of shooting is that, we cringe at the message it might send to the less experianced among us.
We are simply worried that some might see those successful shots on the target range, as encouragement to attempt the same distances in a hunting situation.

Many of us have learned the hard way the folly of that, , , , along with taking bets!

Again, thanks for finding that video & congrats to the shooter!

Elkchaser

I bet every one of us could video tape ourselves hit a target at 160 yards and have it on youtube by tomorrow morning. It may take several shots, but eventually we could get one good shot. What he should have done was shot 2 or 3 or more arrows in a row without moving, just bam, bam, bam, and then he'd have something to show. Who knows, maybe he can, but if he could I would think he'd have showed that.

I realize that there is nothing anybody can do to stop someone from long range bow hunting. I just wish those people would not brag about it for several reasons as a benefit to themselves and the rest of us who prefer to get close. First, it gives other weapon hunters something to complain about or persuades them to switch to archery, it makes other people think they can do it when the can't, it makes for more wounded game (no doubt), and they will loose more broadheaded arrows. Plus, like I said before, getting 20 yards from a mature buck or bull and not getting a shot is much more of an accomplishment than shooting one at 90 yards.

I understand people wanting to show off their trophy, but why even put that you arrowed it at 90 yards. I would just leave that out as I would be ashamed. Just like long range rifle shooting. If I shot it at 20 yards though, I'd be bragging about that!

Again, I'm not telling anybody what they can and cannot do, or whether or not they are ethical bow hunters. I just think long range shooters (rifle, muzzy, archery)who brag about their hunting skills have got it backwards. It is shooting skills.

I do enjoy shooting long range at the range. Like said before, if you can hit a target at 80 yards, it makes a 40 yard shot seem like a breeze.

I ran across a contest between Randy Ulmer, Cameron Hanes and a few other top names/hunters in the archery world called the RAGE 100. These guy?s were shooting 100 yards tipped with Rage BH?ds consistently hitting the target. Cameron thought it was a great tournament and really tested his skill, he said he would be back next year. So yes, it can be done and it can be done accurately on a target either in doors or without a wind. To do so on game, well let just say I won't be shoot over 40? ever, even though I practice out to 60.

I dont know how to post the link but if you google (copy and paste) this below it will get you there. pretty good read, it sounded like fun.

2009 ATA and RAGE 100 - Cameron Hanes

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom