A good long range gun to start with ?

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
I have a friend that wants to build a long range rifle. He wants to start with something he can buy over the counter. Just about all of the rifle manufacturers are coming out with long range hunters. What do you guys think is the best brand to go with and why?
He doesn't want to go with a custom builder.

Remington 700 sendero in a 7mm or 30cal. Scope it with good optics and start practicing and learning good form and habits. Once he gets comfortable he can rebarrel if he wants.

He has been looking at a Remington 700 long range. Like you said at least he can build up from there.

The Remington has been pulled from the shelf's. It has a trigger problem and fires when the bolt is closed.
He is now looking at the Browning. Cabelas seems to be the only store that has them in the southern part of Utah.

I don't practice much past 700 yds very often and hold my shots at game under 600 so i'm not a long distance guy per se. If i was though, i'd think that a rapid second shot would be down the list on priorities so i'd go single shot with either:

a Ruger #1 which i find kind of functional but a bit clunky, a little over stocked, too much wood, but well built, and fairly accurate. or

A Browning B-78 or 1885. A much more comfortable shooter to me than the #1, a elegant rifle, one that i have taken a lot of game with. One in 7MM Rem Mag with 28" octagon barrel would be a good place to start.

That's probably how i'd go if staying factory.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

With a donor action, a good aftermarket barrel and stock, he wouldn't be into the rifle much more than an over the counter one. Especially if he could buy some parts used. If it were me though, I'd wait for the 700 Long Range. Seems like a lot of rifle for the money. mtmuley

for a accurate rifle out of the box, I would buy a tikka. For a build it yourself, I would buy a savage. For a rifle to have a gunsmith build it for me I would get a remington. The price of a factory long range rifle, in my opinion, is to close to having a better custom barrel on a regular rifle and the factory barreled rifle will likely not shoot as good. ce61

I like the Browning. I have pushed him that way. But hard to get anyone to work on them.Like changing a barrel and such. He has looked at the Savage. It comes with a muzzle break from the factory. But I was worried that its a Savage. Maybe I shouldn't? He is comping at the bit and I don't know if I can holding him off. He was ready to drive up to Lehi to get the Remington when they told him the pulled them . I have told him not to buy junk. He will have it for the next 20 years and pass it on to his boys.

There is nothing wrong with buying and hunting a used rifle. Some get used very little, hardly ever been shot. If money is a concern, buy a quality like new rifle that has been used.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Recommend your friend buy a Savage. They are accurate, affordable and have features such as adjustable cheek piece and accutrigger that instill goood form and technique.

Sako 30-378

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wait for the 700 Remington, or better yet, buy a used one and put a barrel on it. Every accessory in the world, from a speed striker to an oversized recoil lug, is made for Remington and every gunsmith worth his salt can blue-print one and make it shoot like a dream... with a new barrel like Lilja of Krieger.
The 700 is THE platform on which to build a LongRanger!
Recall be damned!
My 2 cents,
Zeke

Zeke I think I agree . Rather then getting stuck with something you don't want or can't make up grades . I think he is going to try and wait for the Remington 700 LRH .

I knew I couldn't hold him off for very long. He found a 26" barrel Remington 700 in a 7mm mag. He is going to have a local smith flute the barrel add a muzzle break. Also thinking about Cerakote . I think this is the latest gun coating out there ? Is it now the best?. I have a Teflon gun and it is soft. You have to be careful with it. So I know most have moved to Cerakote.

Have him put a Timney or other quality trigger in it. As stated, the 700 is good long distance base.
My old one still shoots just fine,but I rarely shoot past 400 hunting.It can hit 600. 30-06....I know,old school.

No need to have a muzzle brake on a 7mm rem mag. Its recoil is mild. I'd save the money from that and get a good stock instead.

Cerakote is very durable and nice. There is a group buy on snipers hide for only $63 for a barreled action. Amazing prices.

He is a smaller guy and has not shot magnums. The barrel is a bull barrel from the factory. So they are taking a little weight off. The gun smith ordered the gun for him and is making the mods for him. It should be in today. We will have to see what they decide to do. At least he has a good building block to start with . Thats all I was trying to do for him. When he was talking about a few of the other brands . He may have got stuck with what they gave him, Now he can do with it what he wants.

I agree with the above about the fluting - If your friend hasn't shot any magnums before, I'd leave all the weight to help absorb some more recoil.

He shot my 300 Tejas with a break and was surprised that it doesn't kick. So I think this is way he wants to go with a break.

Take it for what it's worth big John, I always shoot a rifle FIRST before having any work done. If they shoot really well then they deserve any amount of money a guy wants to spend on one.
Take it to the range and shoot it for him if he's not proficient with a rifle yet but don't let him spend a dime extra on a rifle that won't shoot well!!!!
Zeke

+1000 what Zeke said.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

BIGJOHN, sounds to me like your Buddy is in good hands! Let us know how it goes.

Joey

i love my remington model 700 long range! i topped it with a vortex HSLR and ive had zero trigger problems. it really is a great gun. aluminum bedded, chromoly barrel. you just cant beat it for $700

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom