A little help please

WAstickslinger

I have a quick qestions I am sure a colorado native can help me with. I have been reading the regs and I cant seem to figure out for sure what is over the counter and what reqires a draw. For instance unit 39 shows that it requires 0 points for non resident but I cannot see where to purchase it. How does that work? Do yo still have to apply? Sorry if this is an obvious question but I cant seem to figure it out.

Thanks

It looks like to me that 39 and 46 are combined and it takes no points to draw for deer but you still have to apply and draw it. Is that correct?

Are you talking deer or elk? On the "Preference Points Required" list, only draw units are listed. Some units that take 0 points will have leftovers while others will not. It depends on how many tags were issued and how many people applied. If you look in the regs, there is a table of all hunts that are draw.

All deer licenses are draw only, until the leftovers go on sale; then they're first come first served. There will be a list posted on the DOW website a few days beforehand.

For elk, if it's not on the list then it is an over the counter hunt for archery and 2nd & 3rd rifle. All 1st and 4th seasons are draw for elk. The exception to that is that there are a few hunts that are "OTC with Caps" which means they are limited licenses sold on a first come basis.

Sorry, talking deer tags. Are there pleenty of left over deer tags for unit 39/46? Will it be possible to get away from the crowds and find bucks in the National Forest if we work hard and get away from the trail heads and roads? No honey holes just trying to plan an out of state hunt for a change of pace.

Thanks

All licenses (both deer and elk) in the front range areas are by draw only. The leftover list comes out at the end of July, and last year no leftovers were available. I've lived around those areas for 45 years, and I would not advise traveling from out of state to hunt these places. Just not that great. Plenty of out of the way places on the west side of the Continental Divide where you can get leftover deer tags.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom