Aerial Maps, new source

If one is a fan of aerial maps in hunting (I am pull up Google then click on 'More' then 'maps'. Enter your nearest town then move where you can then navigate directional as needed using identifiable landmarks like rivers, mountains, lakes, riparian wetlands, landscape, etc.

Using this method one can have 3 dimensional perspectives on hunting areas using (a) BLM/National forest service maps, (b) topos from USGS, then gravitating to the aerials, which I like the absolute best. One can readily see timber density, change of vegetation, openings, lakes, and rivers. When I used to hunt new areas, I always used aerial maps to suggest places I thought would pan out. Not all do, yet doing as much homework ahead of the hunt is not only fun, but productive.

This fall the old aerials I had for the area I hunt alot were incomplete (used to get from USGS taking weeks to procure) so I pulled up four adjacent color aerials on Google, then cut and laminated in clear plastic at Kinkos. Total cost involved was less than $2.00. I you want something to compare the aerials too, laminate back to back sides of one side a topo or ntl forest boundaries, and the other side the aerials.

Then you have no excuse for getting lost.

P.S. Use a marking pen to mark private property boundaries using the topos. Then you have a map virtually no else has,
because one has to know where you are in the world of hunting. Cut to size (mine is 8" x 14")you can carry it in your back pack.

if you like those maps, you need to download google earth-same stuff, in a pretty cool format.

I forgot to indicate when in Google under Maps, then click on Satellite. You are then on your way. The last factor in using the aerial maps is your actual hunting experience where as we all know, certain places are more 'gamey' than others. I found a remote meadow using aerials I had come thru 15 or years earlier, in deep timber. The meadow on the aerial though was a quakey patch, and after the leaves fell it was more open.

Lucas, I took your advise and downloaded "Worldwind". Besides having air photos of the moon as well as Earth, I found it quite similar to "Google Earth".

The plus side of "Google Earth" is you get the odd bit of High definition in some areas. Is there a way to get HD on "Worldwind"?

Daryl

I like using www.terraserver.microsoft.com

You can enter locations by cordinates, city,place,ect... The cordinate locater(under advanced find is the easiest way to find your destination.

beavis.gif

I like terraserver the best as well. Google earth's real arieal photo's are extremely limited. I enjoy planning and hunting new areas, and terraserver has probably been my best tool in being pretty darn successful.

Tufferthandug,

To get the 1 meter and 0.25 meter resolution pictures in World Wind, click on the 'USGS 1m Ortho' and 'USGS Urban' button on the toolbar at top.

By the way, all of the 1 meter, 0.25 meter photos and the topos used in World Wind are taken directly off of Terra Server servers. World Wind is a much better interface for looking at those photos than the Terra Server website. They are the exact same photos.

If you wanna spend a little money, get Terrain Navigator Pro.
I got the software and you can switch from the USGS maps to the aerial photos, showing the same area that you are viewing, or you can toggle back and forth between the maps. Also, you can put the map into 3-D and see the contours of the land. Pretty cool to put the aerial photo into 3-D and turn the map around and see different angles of the land.

http://www.maptech.com/land/terrainnavigatorpro/index.cfm

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-06 AT 12:29PM (MST)[p]droptine,

I'm afraid the USGS Ortho is only available for the US. It doesn't seem to work up here for BC. That's OK though. There's a BC gov. site that shows the same style of orthomosaic photos.

http://maps.gov.bc.ca/

Try the USA Photo Map program that works with Microsoft Terraserver and you can easily create maps to print or review later. You can create a large map of an area that will remain on your hard drive for future use, zoom in and out with ease. It also allows you to download your GPS waypoints or create wayponits to upload to your GPS. The free program is available at: http://www.jdmcox.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom