Airdales

Foxbow

Anyone use Airdales for hunting cats - lion, I'am talking.
Hear they can make a good lion dog.
In tandem with hounds, or just by themselves.
Tough dogs should be a good tree dog at least.

Heard the same thing tough as nails I guess and easier to replace then a hound you've been putting years and years into

They are easily the dumbest dog I have ever been around and totally and completely useless for lion or bear.

You show up on the mountain anywhere around here with an airedale in your truck and you'll get laughed off the mountain by every hound guy I know.

I have some video footage of a guy's airedale in action on a bear race if you want a good laugh.

By the end of that trip even the non hound guys in camp were making fun of the dog, it was so damn stupid and worthless.

Do yourself a favor and get a gerbil instead, you might have a chance at catching something with a gerbil. With an airedale you have zero chance. And name your gerbil "Armaggeddon." ;-)

Thanks for sharing that information with us hounddawg, cause I thought I'd seen you post a photo once that had an airdale in it. I didn't know whether that was your secret weapon or whether it belonged to a buddy.......

LOL

From what I have seen in Utah a Airedale would be a big improvement for some of those guys. When a Airedale learns to fight bear and not every other living thing in the race your in business. A Airedale on bear will not make it to a old age but will damn sure try to kill a bear!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-08 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]Like I said, I got video of those mighty airedale's in action on bear. That hunt was about 4 or 5 years ago and the guys there are STILL making fun of that stupid dog. The video is about as funny as it gets.

In fact, my buddy stuck this airedale in the photos we took of the bear after it was dead and we were all laughing so hard, we could barely take the pictures. When even the clients who don't know anything about dogs are making fun of the airedale then you know it's bad.

Do yourself a favor dude, and I am dead serious. If you are seriously considering an airedale just go get you a couple of Labs to run bear and lion with, yellow or black...

You'll catch just as much game, probably more and at least have a couple of nice looking dogs in your truck. Asking about airedales for lion or bear is like posting out here, "I got a new gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters, and I was wondering about towing it with a Geo Metro. Could anyone tell me how Geo Metro's are for towing gooseneck trailers?"

Pretty much what you are asking. :)

Or you could try this... Look up ten full time bear or lion outfitters, guys who make a living guiding for bear or lion with dogs. Guys who depend on their dogs to put food on the table. Go check their backyards and see how many airedales they have between them. Count the number of hounds and the number of airedales and get back to me. Best of luck and happy hunting and let me know how they mount that gooseneck hitch on that Metro, I'd like to see it. :)

But I'm serious about that, talk is cheap. Go talk to ten full time dog outfitters and see how many airedales they are running between the ten of them. You'll have your answer.

** Authors note: A friend of mine recently passed away and he HATED airedale's with a passion, so I made this post as a gift to him. Rest in peace buddy! I got your back on these worthless furry mutts you despised so much. :) **

Why is it hound hunters always go to the outfitter scenario? I have hunted with a pile of outfitters, and to honest most have crappy dogs and break more laws that OJ Simpson.

Airedales will fight a bear harder than 99% of hounds, and if you (Brent) have never seen it I guess it just doesn't happen.

Are they supposed to fight them or tree them??....Don't seem to me that any dog would live long if he insisted on a fight.

JB

D13R,

You are exactly right. That's the only argument these airedale guys can come up with, "They'll fight a bear way harder than a hound."

Ya do the math on how long a dog will last if it fights a bear hard. The airedale I hunted with was more interested in fighting the dogs that were trailing the bear.

And you are right Havoc, I haven't seen it. Haven't seen an airedale ever do a single thing to contribute to a bear or lion getting caught. You're right, NEVER SEEN IT!!

Hunted in Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona and with a number of different hunters, from beginners to full time outfitters and seen ONE guy with a single airedale. That was the single dumbest dog I've ever seen and only thing it wanted to fight was the other dogs. You couldn't have led this dog to a bear tree, let alone have it get there on its own.

Heard of a few guys around with airedale's but every one made fun of them. I don't care if a guy wants to pull a gooseneck trailer around with a Geo Metro. That's his call.

But why should he be surprised if every one that drives past him thinks he's a total dumbass? :)

Why don't you sell the guy some airedale's then and he can post all his pictures of bears and lions with his airedale's under the tree and say, "See told ya so!" :)

I don't care what guys run, I wish everybody was running airedale's, there damn sure wouldn't be a shortage of game then. That is my dream, that everybody else is running airedales. :)

I'll stick the Powerstrokes but wish all you guys the best with your Geo Metros!! Happy hunting.

ha, funny stuff, like i said, i had one but not for hunting, i forgot to say i will never own another, they have the temper of a damn wolverine!

I dont run hounds, bird dogs rather, but can understand what Dawg is sayin, there was nothin i hated more than hunting with a dog that wanted to fight or just ##### around instead of hunt. any one that deals with dogs, beagels, hounds, pointers whatever, this kind of dog will get tempers flarin, so i can understand the hatered for the airdale, they are lookin for a fight!

When I was growing up in Montana, there was a man there that ran coyotes with greyhounds, he had an airdale for his kill dog.

He had some pretty good pictures of that airdale ripping the throats out of them yotes.

YA!!!

YOU BOYS GET YOU SOME AIRDALES!!!

MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT SOME GOOD HOUNDS TOO!!!

AFTER THE HOUNDS TREE/BEY THE LION/BEAR YOU CAN'T PACK YOUR MUTT (AIRDALE!!!) IN AND LET IT KILL YOUR HOUNDS!!!

THEN YOU CAN SHOOT THE AIRDALE!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

KNEW A GUY THAT STARTED BREEDING PITTBULL IN TO HIS HOUNDS!!!

WAFJ!!!

LIKE HoundDawgy SAYS,THERES TOOLS FOR THE JOB,GEO METRO'S & AIRDALES AIN'T SOME OF THEM!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

ONE MORE THING!!!

I REMEMBER HoundDawgy's PICTURE AND I'M STILL LMAO!!!

EVERYTIME I LOOKED AT IT I WAS TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT WAS THE BIGGEST POS???

THE MUTT (AIRDALE!!!)OR THE HUNTIN RIG THE MUTT WAS STANDING ON???

THEN IT CAME TO ME QUICK!!!

IT WAS THE MUTT!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom