Alaksa Moose Hunt Success

LuckyShot

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-12 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]I just got back from Alaska hunting moose with my friend Matt Bateman. We lost four days up front due to weather and could not even be flown into our area until day five. That was unbelievably frustrating to say the least! On day five we were flown in 40 miles into a river drainage and dropped off for our unguided hunt. The first night our entire camp flooded and we almost lost all of our gear. Two tents were completely destroyed and washed away! What a way to start our Alaskan Moose hunt!! Despite the initial setbacks, we hunted the next two days and I managed to kill my bull with a rifle at 100 yards. With our limited time and all that had gone wrong, I opted to put down my bow and use the thunder-stick. The snow then set in that night and made for a long day of packing....especially when crossing an icy-snow-filled river multiple times. We also had two encounters with Grizzlies in the thick timber at less than 40 yards! Way too close for comfort!!! On the last evening we found another shooter bull, but Matt decided to pass on the rifle shot as he was commited to killing a moose with his bow. Hope you all enjoy the pics! Kip

2415alaska_1.jpg

4281alaska_2.jpg

9240alaska_3.jpg

3363alaska_4.jpg

2093alaska_5.jpg

795alaska_6.jpg

8043alaska_7.jpg

9682alaska_8.jpg

7115alaska_9.jpg

6177alaska_10.jpg

2431alaska_11.jpg

816alaska_12.jpg

4169alaska_13.jpg

3898alaska_14.jpg

3886alaska_15.jpg

9399alaska_16.jpg

9868alaska_17.jpg

3167alaska_18.jpg

1517alaska_19.jpg

9479alaska_20.jpg

8513alaska_21.jpg

An adventure is something you would rather not be going through at the time but makes for a better story later.

It wouldn't have been near the fun if everything just worked out.

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

Todd

LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-12 AT 02:29PM (MST)[p]Geees Kip...
Looks cold and wet and like it must have taken an iron will to trudge forward. But great hunters don't get lucky - they make their own luck... as you two did on this hunt. Seeing these pictures is one thing, but being there... hard to imagine.
Looks lonely and remote and like it must have been a TOUGH mental game. So good for you with your kill.
Wise choice with your thunderstick.
You are one seriously TOUGH hunter!
Love your stories!
Way to go Kipper!
Matt

Sweet deal Kip, good work. I would have had the "long range" bow out too!

Nice to see that Matty smiled a little, he looks pretty happy in that second picture! LOL

Super big Congrats..thats the way to suck it up and make it happen. Nice lookin" legs, bet that created some shrinkage. LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

so basically you're saying there was a lot of adversity, hard work, frustration, and big country, extreme climate, lots of animals, big trophy bull moose, grizzlies, etc.

Damn that was fun!

Congrats

T264

I'm not ashamed to say that I doubt I could have taken that kind of abuse on a hunt...

Nice job and way to stick it out for a couple of beautiful trophies and memories to last a lifetime.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

That is a serious investment with a tough outcome. No question about your resolve though. That cold river looks flat out miserable!
Congratulations on a fine trophy and an unforgettable experience. Thanks for the reminder that we are hunters...not always just tag fillers!

Way to hang in there. Looks like a tough hunt that came together in the end. Congratulations!
My dream is to hunt for Moose and Dall sheep before I get too old.
Someday it will happen.
Thanks for sharing.
Best,
Jerry

Congrats on a fine bull !!!

Those epics always make for the best stories. As one of my old climbing buddies, Pat Callis from Bozeman rightly put it, "fondly remembered, but not so Fondly done" :)

Cheers,
Pete

Well done Kip. I did a sheep/moose/grizz combo backpack hunt last September. It was the hunt of a life time. You earn every scrap of meat, antler, hide and memories you pack out of that wild country.

Looks like an epic adventure! Congrats on gettin' er done even when the going was tuff. Like others have stated, makes for a much better story that way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom