antelope in November

ridgerunner

Very Active Member
Anyone have any problems with antelope shedding their horns before the season is over. Looks like this year the season will run pretty late, I'm considering adding an antelope tag with a deer hunt if I can get drawn.

I am usually in eastern Montana during thanksgiving week and the week before. Most of the goats are hornless or have just one. I am not sure when they start loosing there horns, when I am there there are a bunch of black faced does.

Rich

I hunted the eastern part of the state right before the 31st of october and saw 3 different bucks that already shed one horn, the rest were carrying. Shot one a couple years back at the same time and went to lift its head off the ground while holding a horn, and it slipped off. Then again, when i hunt elk thanksgiving weekend in the west part of the state, I always see antelope bucks still carrying head gear.

Have hunted the SE part around Forsyth on Halloween weekend for the last 3 years. I would estimate that 30% are hornless at that time. Of the six bucks we have taken, all but one had a least one or both horns fall off while dragging. Although I would not let that discourage you, it is a great time to be up there, and if you can find some ground without deer, you will not see anyone hunting antelope!

I've hunted them in November in southwest Montana, and most of the big bucks were dropping their horns the first week of November. I shot my buck on the 2nd or 3rd, as he still had both horns and when I went to lift his head up to look at it, the horns both slipped right off. We noticed that the smaller bucks all still had their horns, but we were onto some really nice bucks, and several of them had dropped that very day. It sucks to finally get on a 15+ inch buck you've been hunting for days, only to realize that he has 1 horn that day!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom