Antelope Meat

Wasatch

Last weekend I was fortunate enough to shoot a really nice antelope down on the Plateau unit near Loa. He was on the run when I shot him, my first shot broke his back and a second shot finished the job. I'm a little worried though how strong and gamey the meat is going to taste now.

So, my question for everyone out there is what is the best way to prepare a great antelope steak or roast? And, what is the best method for removing any of the strong and gamey taste from the meat? I'd love to hear any and all ideas or secrets that everyone has. Thanks for your help!!!

Cool down and get the hide off right away. I am not crazy about the roasts but the steaks are very good. It makes good hamburger as well. If you think it has a gamey taste marinade in 1 part olive oil and 1 part worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce). Put on the grill and do not over cook. Another idea is to take the steaks and pound with a meat hammer then dip in egg wash, then in italian bread crumbs and fry in a cast iron skillet. I cook spaghetti and sauce then drop on one of these breaded steaks on the top then throw on a piece of mozzerella cheese then pop in the microwave or oven to melt the mozzerella. I like the taste of wild game but others who are not as crazy about the taste like these variations.

I had antelope roast recently and it was better than the elk backstrap. Both were very good though. Just try it before you decide it's no good. Don't let anyone tell it's not as good. There is good and bad of everything, including prime rib off cattle.

Antelope is very good when taken care of properly. As others said it needs to be cooled ASAP! We actually quarter ours right after we complete pictures and put it in coolers... usually this is all completed within 15 min of actually shooting it. Also dont let the hair touch the meat as it will taint it.

I've had alot of antelope that were better tasting than elk.

-DallanC

Let see some pics.

This year up at one of the expos at the south town center (not doug millers) there was a booth doing wild game cooking. We bought one of his books and tried his method (that was unbelievably good on deer and elk) with my brothers antelope that he got this this year down there on the parker as well. Talk about good.

Like said before get them skinned, boned, and cooled off ASAP, don't let the meat sit in the sun while doing this. This is going to be a novel of a post but is worth reading if you want some very delicous speed goat steaks.

When you go to eat it, don't marinade it in a liquid, instead cook them in a cast iron grill with a little canola oil in it. When the oil starts to smoke the grill is hot enough, put the steaks in, cook for only about a minute, should cook about 3/8" into the steak. Then turn it over, spread some powder marinate mix (MC cormick grill are good ones) on the side that just cooked, when the steak starts to sweat, (moisture coming up through) then flip it again, do the same to this side, when it sweted then take and pull it out of the grill. Slice it up in to bite size chunks, pour a little liquid smoke in the grill, put a litte butter in there and make a sauce. Then put all the peices that you just cut up, (wich should look rarer than rare in the middle) back in the grill stir them around for about 30 seconds then pull the grill off the heat. Keep stiring untile the sizzling stops then pull the chuncks of meat off and there you go.

A TASTE BUD EXPLOSION

I never did like antelope before but this has got to be the only way that I will ever cook them again. I will get the name of the guy and the book tonight when I get home and let you guys now who it is. Well worth the money I spent on it.

Sorry this was such a long post.

Jared
aka: DeadI

I've had antelope steaks once (backstraps), they were very yummy!
dutch
" Man who excels at putting worm on hook is Master Baiter"

My wife and kids are picky about what game meat they'll eat but of elk, deer and antelope they by far like antelope the best.

Last years antelope wasn't on ice until two hours after the kill but he was still good eatin. I sometimes use Lowerys marinate mix from Albertsons which uses veg. oil. Or we've just cooked them plain in a cast iron skillet. Either way they've been good.

I always try to cut off as much fat as possible.

I don't know how to post pictures, but I'd be glad to send them to someone who does if anyone wants to see them!

Here are Wasatch's speed goat photos. If there is more of a story than what has been told he'll have to post it. Nice looking goat.

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

Jared
aka: DeadI

What everyone else said. Nice to see others appreciate how good antelope is. If its taken care of, and cooked right, there is nothing better. As good, maybe, but not better.

I killed a buck this year and have been eating him. I put steaks in the crock pot for 6-8 hours with cream of mushroom soup, a little water and a can of mushrooms (juice included). After the steak if cooked I make gravy from the liquid and put it over tators or rice with the steak on the side. It's always tender and good. Antelope tastes different to me, but I like it's flavor as long as it's tender.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom