Antelope unit 87

S

sage_sniffer

Hello Everybody,
I drew an antelope buck tag for unit 87 with 4 points. I hunted with a doe tag out there maybe 15 years ago. I don't remember much except that it was pretty flat without much cover. Has anybody out there hunted this area in the last couple of years? Any words of wisdom or past experiences you could share with me about how to hunt this unit would be great. Is there a strategy that works good? Any tips?
Thank you for your time.

I had a rifle buck tag last year in 87. It is pretty flat but with some rolling hills, use the hills to your advantage to stalk. Public land was pretty crowded with hunters but there were also plenty of antelope to hunt. I hunted public the first day and put 4 different stalks on groups that didn't work out. Was lucky enough to hunt some private ground the second day and ended up killing a good buck that scored just over 75". Saw a lot of good bucks in the 70-75" range but probably only saw one that would push the 80" mark. It was a fun hunt, if you blow a stalk find another group and try again. Good luck.

I killed a buck back in 2012 and I used more points than that. Over all I was satisfied, but I was not impressed with the amount of hunters I saw...way to many and 90% of them just road hunting. I ended up finding a nice little spot where I had seen a lot of nice bucks and not a lot of roads going thru it. The road hunters were shooting at antelope 1000 yards off and running. So I would suggest finding a spot with little roads. The northern part has less hunters at least used too. I will see if I can find where I hunted on a online map and let you know...I don't have my maps with me.

Thanks for the response guys.
I'm really looking forward to the hunt. I'm very excited to hear that you saw some bucks that would go 70" to 75" I would be very happy with a 75". I will take your advice and try to find some areas without roads.
Can't wait. I will hopefully post up some pictures after the season.
Thanks again.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom