antler growth 2024

goforbroke

fingers crossed for above average antler growth. I was surprised last year antler growth seemed less than normal in most of Utah. With range in great condition and the best winter I can remember for big game - wet and warm - I think this year could be a really good year. I only have 5 points for LE elk, but I put in on a lesser unit archery hunt that I have a chance. I am hoping that antler growth is phenomenal this year and those 280-300 bulls will be 300-330!! And just maybe this unit will produce more 350" plus than normal.

What do you think antler growth will be in 2024?

I'm no expert on antler growth, but I glassed many winter range areas across the wasatch front and the animals appeared to be very healthy. Based on current snow pack levels statewide and a mild winter on winter ranges...this year should be phenomenal IMO.

I'm anticipating that antler growth in 2024 will be similar to 2022.

I would say that antler growth in 2023 was down by about 10% (at least in northern Utah). The bulls that would usually be 310-330 were coming in closer to 280. I attribute that to the fact that the winter-of-all-winters took a huge toll on the animals that survived and it took them a few months for them to get back on their feet. Antler growth started before winter ended in 2023.

The animals did go into this winter in okay shape, and from what I've seen, winter barely impacted the herds or the individuals. The exception being the fawns that were all so small last year because their moms barely survived the winter before they were born. I'm curious how those fawns did this winter.

The buck in my profile picture from fall 2023 had a super small body and almost no fat. I thought he was a 2-point when I first saw him stand up in his bed. On the other hand, my 2022 buck had inches of fat down his back. Both bucks were taken within 5 miles of each other (as a crow flies). It's amazing what one bad winter can do.

I am just curious because people always equate antler growth with a good winter of or wet spring. I get nutrition plays a big part. Last year was odd ball for sure.

Seems to me like deer in arid/dry place get some pretty big antlers. Sonoran Deer get some of the biggest racks in one of the driest places.

Does it really make that big of a difference? Do guys that pick up sheds from the same deer year to year find that they have shrunk that much on a drought year or blown up on a wet year?

From what I've seen in my area all the deer have came into spring in great shape so I think it will be a good year for antler growth

I am just curious because people always equate antler growth with a good winter of or wet spring. I get nutrition plays a big part. Last year was odd ball for sure.

Seems to me like deer in arid/dry place get some pretty big antlers. Sonoran Deer get some of the biggest racks in one of the driest places.

Does it really make that big of a difference? Do guys that pick up sheds from the same deer year to year find that they have shrunk that much on a drought year or blown up on a wet year?
Condition of the animal is probably more important than moisture. Animals were hammered through the tough winter of 2022-2023. They should be in great condition coming out of this most recent winter. Groceries do matter though

The Three most in important factors determining antler size are
1. Age
2. Genetics
3. Nutrition
I have seen a 5 year old buck score 220"+ then a severe drought/ winter hits and the buck finishes in the 190" range as a 6 year old buck. Even bucks with excellent genetics can and will grow big antlers relatively speaking in bad conditions.
The deer in sonora also eat vegetation with a different nutritional make up. Comparing the diet and conditions of a Desert Buck and High Country Buck is like comparing apples to oranges.

You surely Know By Now Where Sonora Deer Come From,Right?

The Three most in important factors determining antler size are
1. Age
2. Genetics
3. Nutrition
I have seen a 5 year old buck score 220"+ then a severe drought/ winter hits and the buck finishes in the 190" range as a 6 year old buck. Even bucks with excellent genetics can and will grow big antlers relatively speaking in bad conditions.
The deer in sonora also eat vegetation with a different nutritional make up. Comparing the diet and conditions of a Desert Buck and High Country Buck is like comparing apples to oranges.
I understand most of that.

I have seen some big deer that have done the opposite of what you said. I have heard plants can be more nutrient dense in drought years. But I am no expert by any means.

I have also heard the condition of the mother while she carries her fawn has an impact on the bucks overall potential even if he has the 3 items you noted above.

I am not trying to argue. I am really just curious if anybody has pics of any bucks or sheds that have really been affected by drought compared to a normal year.

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom