Any success in region G and H this year?

My son took a 150" 4x4 buck in G opening weekend. Didn't see anything great, although did see a few bucks in this size range. Not at all what it used to be.
Bill

My dad and I hunted Region G for the first week of the season. We backpacked 4 miles back into the high country and hunted for 6 days. The herd is down even from last year. We seen 10 to 15 different buck during the hunt. The biggest was a 26 inch 4x4 with crab points on the front. Looks like it's time to build points for region G

It appears that it's a good horn growing year. We just didn't seen any mature bucks to have a big racks. I think we will save the money for a few years, especialy if they raise the tag fees.

We hardly seen another hunter in the area. It looks like the residents didn't want to hunt G this year.

The outfitters in Wyoming have killed some good bucks so far, I have seen pictures of 3 big bucks, two were by the same outfitter out of Star Valley. Most their stories end up in magazines so I am guessing that is the reason why they have not put out pics or anything. There are still a few big bucks around G+H, but you have to put huge amounts of time in to get them, scout all summer know where they are for the opener and kill them quickly opening weekend before they get bumped. There are not many average working joes who have this type of time to devote so anymore I think the outfitters get most the big guys.

"We hardly seen another hunter in the area. It looks like the residents didn't want to hunt G this year."

Can't be true. The non rezzy's have been working hard to convince us G is in the toilet because of the huge numbers of small bucks the locals are putting on the ground. Guess we'll see when I head up in a few days for a week long hunt...

Doesnt surprise me not hearing alot of reports of success stories. I just got back from hunting G and never saw a single person hunting in 9 days of backpacking the high country. Saw fresh human tracks 1 day and another day saw a set of fresh horse tracks working a high basin. I realize the opener is the popular time to go and I chose to wait till afterwards to avoid any crowding issues. Since Im a non resident pre scouting wasnt in the cards for me.
My observations of the hunt.

First and formost, had a awesome time. Love the high country. Kinda hard not too esp when the only person I saw was my father I was hunting with.
Had crap weather first part of hunt with lots of rain and fog, glad my tent held up in the hail storm too as we spent some time being tent bound. Regret I had, I didnt pack any reading material to help with the bordom the first few days when we were tent bound. After the weather cleared, had great weather rest of the hunt.

Onto the hunt. Deer numbers are OK, age class suffering in my opinion in terms of older age class of bucks. Tons of young deer. Saw 40-50 bucks, mabey more. Lost count. Im counting anything with horns, spikers all the way up. I didnt see a buck that I would classify as a Holy Shi*t buck. We each ended up shooting a nice buck on the last day, mine in the morning and my fathers in the evening. I know theres some monsters lurking those hills, but not many. Mabey in a few years when these bucks have time to grow up to there potential if no hard winters take its toll on them. I did see alot of fawns and many of which where twins with the Does.

My camera broke during the hunt so Im left with no pictures of the hunt. I have to wait till my father goes through his camera.

Sounds like word has gotten around about the better hunting being the latter part of the season in these units. I hunted the top of H about 5 years ago on the opener thru a two week hunt and the first day had people coming out the woodwork after i shot my buck. There were literally 5 different groups of guys on the same ridge within a couple miles yet a few days later my pard would cover many miles a day with hardly anyone be found.

I did this hunt only once. Really, too bad that i waited until my mid 50's and not such great shape to do it. We saw a good amount of young bucks, a couple-few nice ones with mine included, and one for sure no doubt about it wall hanger. I would recommend all to do this type of hunt at least once in their life if not already having done so!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitatiWeons!"

Joe I hunted region h for 5 days and shot a decent 26" 4/4 with a 7" drop tine.I missed a nice buck the day before,but could not pass this one it was the 4th day.Their was a lot of hunters on Sat and Sun and they seemed to thin out later on.The country is hugh and plenty of places for those bucks to hide,so a lot of hunters never bother me and I like to see the hunters out their it's good for our Hunting Heritage.

264, Great Report, Congrats! Sounds like we got similar type of bucks! I'll show you mine, now you show us yours! ;-)

2399wyoming_4_point.jpg

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-12 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]Here's some pics from Region H. These are from 264 Mag here on the forum...nice buck!

3481199.jpg

7378204.jpg

439205.jpg

1619207.jpg

770212.jpg

5358214.jpg

Awesome 264, Very nice buck and love that drop!! PM sent. Thanks for the Pic's!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Got some pictures from my father. I forgot to say on my previous post. Did hear 2 sets of shooting on differnt days while on the mountain out in the distance. Both of which where multiple shooting spree's so who knows if those deer are still running around or not. My deer, notice the one back fork taped on. After shooting it ran over the ridge and fell through a steep set of rocks. Breaking the fork off. Recovered it and taped it back on best I could for pictures.
Neat pic of a waterfall.
9562img_1552.jpg

Glassing
1093img_1561.jpg

Camp
1682img_1557.jpg

Our Deer. My fathers did have an extra off each back fork.
5372img_1576.jpg

8012img_1595.jpg

Packing
263img_1620.jpg

8943img_1618.jpg

Hey Beech those are awesome pictures!Dont know how old your dad is but you have to be a stud to hunt G or H later in life. I have hunted it 4 times off my back and might have one more left in me. THANX for the pump! BH1

Saw a couple substantially bigger, but no shot opportunities. Time to be thinking about elk, so was glad to take this buck. Some nice eating there.

8084pa040002.jpg

4011pa040008.jpg

Some other country a bit lower (8500 ft) than the alpine basins.

451pa040009.jpg

Nice pic's. Thanks fella's on the comments.

BH1, I say go for it. To answer your question. My dad is 60 and still going strong.

Yo Hey Hart........your secret is out now with the pics. Who, what, when, where on Bobs rock in 2000. My brass is still there.

Good job & thanks for the pics

nocal

PM sent

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

That trail going over is what we called the death trail after dark on horseback. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom