Any Unit 15 elk updates?

N

NMbghuntr

Just wondering how the achery hunters did in Unit 15? I have the Muzzle Bull tag and am getting very excited!!!

I had the third archery hunt in 15. I had a great time. I felt very fortunate that we had no moon and the temp dropped significantly opening night after the storm came through. Opening morning I had a chance to take a 330-340 class bull that my cousin called in for me but I blew the set up. It was awesome to see him thrash a tree around and walk in as if it was his mountian. O well, live and learn That night I stuck a nice 6x5. My first bull with a bow. What a freakin rush.

They were talkin for us
runnin

>Just wondering how the achery hunters
>did in Unit 15? I
>have the Muzzle Bull tag
>and am getting very excited!!!
>

I JUST GOT BACK FROM UNIT 15 THIS WEEK END. I'V NEVER SEEN SO MANY BULLS, AT LEAST 30. IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO GIVE ME ANY GENERAL LOCATIONS I WILL, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE INFORMATION YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] I WOULD BE WILLING TO SHARE. I HAVE A MUZZLELOADER HUNT OCT.17 AND MY HUNTING PARTNER HAS THE SAME ON THE 24TH OF OCT. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT.

just got back from helping a buddy on unit 15 youth. more bulls than I have seen in one day in a long time. Massive rut, bulls walking through camp all night, literally. several bulls well over the 360 mark. Shot a 340 bull first day. Kid was from Iowa and had never even seen an elk before. Had a blast.

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

Sounds like the rut is still going on down there. Was there a lot of bugling? Were the bulls still with the cows? I have the Muzzy hunt this coming weekend and can't wait to get out there. Wish I could have scouted more but that's the way it goes. Good luck to all out there this weekend!!

I had this same hunt last year but it was one week earlier. The bulls were still with the cows and bugling. Only problem I encounted was bad weather. I've check out the weather for this hunt and it will be sunny the entire time. Good luck, I'll be in unit 16emuzzy.

I think the kid may be wanting to post up photos so I will wait. But yeah, the bulls were still with cows. Lots of bulls with lots of cows. We were getting on several bulls every morning and evening. Well, at least one morning and one evening. The last morning when we went in to try finding the bull we shot at last light the night before we ran into tons more bugling bulls. I can't say I've seen that much rutting action in a long time. However, if your hoping to have a great hunt on the regular muzzy hunt, don't hold your breath. The NMDGF gives out 150? regular muzzy tags and then another 200 or so land owner tags. Most of those landowner tags are used on the first muzzy hunt and are guided. The place is literally crawling with a guide in every drainage. I've seen lots of guides chasing the elk with their trucks with the hunters in the back, etc. From My experience on that mountain you'd better have your bull picked the day before the hunt and have him down at first light cuz the substantial pressure and guide tactics kill the rut by noon on the first day. Yes I've had success on last day kills in 15 a few different years and stay on bulls every day, but I know the area well and have lots of different honey holes to hit once my first day holes have been destroyed by all the pressure. Don't expect a spectacular hunt and be very determined and you will get a bull. Lord knows theres a ton in there, just sucks having to share a unit like that with half the state. Oh well, that's NM for you. I hope you have a great hunt. Good luck,

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

>Sounds like the rut is still
>going on down there. Was
>there a lot of bugling?
>Were the bulls still with
>the cows? I have the
>Muzzy hunt this coming weekend
>and can't wait to get
>out there. Wish I could
>have scouted more but that's
>the way it goes. Good
>luck to all out there
>this weekend!!
THE RUT WAS IN FULL SWING. THE BULLS WERE BUGLING,THE COWS WERE MEWING. THE BULLS WERE WITH THE COWS. WHAT A SIGHT,I HOPE THEY WILL STILL BE IN RUT THIS COMING WEEKEND.

Stinky and pirate, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like there is going to be a lot of people in there this weekend. Are the hunters pretty spread out or concentrated in a general area?

WHEN I WAS THERE THE YOUTH HUNT WAS GOING ON (30 TAGS) AND I ONLY SAW 2 HUNTING PARTIES. BUT THIS COMING WEEKEND I WILL BET THERE WILL BE A LOT MORE.

Well sneeky and I are off to Unit 15 tomorrow for my muzzle Bull Tag. I hope to have some pics and a story to share when I return. Good luck to all in the mountains this weekend!!

NMbghuntr

since carter isnt gonna post i will hide this photo back in this thread since few will c it hidden here anyways. just in case he decides to post

4ad72dd45dabd9ad.jpg

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

Very good bull Stinky- congrats to the kid. I am headed to 13 today for back to back muzzy hunts. Last year the biggest we killed was on the second hunt, the first hunt started good but the wind blew 50+ for 2 days.

Good luck to all and see you in a few weeks! Hopefully with some good pics!
Travis

madglasser, that 340 bull I shot in 13 last year was on the first day of the first hunt. I woulda held out for bigger but we talked to the game warden and he told us that hurricane was gonna sit on us all week. I figured this was gonna be the best I could hope for and took him. Was a gnarly lookin bull anyways. I was tickled with him

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

Great bull congrats to the hunter, can't wait to see some more pics of it and hopefully some others who are sucessfull on the hunt in 34 going on this week.

Wow!

Stink,,,,, you so win!

We are all going to send your 340 bulls to the RMEF convention!

Did you play football in Artesia?

WOW!

Just got back today from unit 15! Had a great time, 3 tags, 3 bulls in 3 days. The largest a 6x6 grossing 353 7/8 green score and 2 7x6 bulls. Hoping to have the pictures posted soon!

Had an awesome hunt down in Unit 15. Got my 5x5 bull Sunday morning. He is a young bull with some great mass. Heard a lot of bugling both mornings that we hunted but the elk were not staying out very long. Thought this guy was a little bigger as I only had a quick second to judge him and setup. Not a bad bull for not knowing the area. Thanks to my Dad, Grandpa and Sneeky for helping me on this hunt. We great time and was nice to spend it with family!!!

4ae1ab104cf84d0b.jpg

4ae1ab595084d809.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom