Anyone Finding Them in AZ???

S

sancarloshunter

I was just wondering if anyone has been finding them in Arizona yet; particularly in N. Arizona. I have not seen very animals yet that are still carrying them. If any of you guys are finding them just let me know so I can plan my trips accordingly. Thanks

SCH

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-08 AT 04:52AM (MST)[p]I am going to be in AZ for a few weeks as of the 5th of March. I just had shoulder surgery so the Army game me a month off. I really want to go shed hunting, if anybody is iteresting. I wont be able to carry to much but it wont stop me from putting on the miles. I also have a pretty good eye. If nobody is interested thats fine I will be out there maybe I will see you there. I was born and raised in AZ and lived and hunted there until I joined the army, but for some reason have never hat the best of luck when it comes to sheds. Hopefully this time will be diffrent.

take care everyone and good luck this season.

Jason

Are you anywhere near the SE part of the state? I am from Safford and am looking to get out soon. I have March 13-19 off (I work 7 on 7 off schedule).
It would take me about 2 hours to get to some of the elk country.
Jeff

was up in 10 last weekend and every bull that i glassed still had head gear attached. didnt stop me from finding some of last years sheds. heard a rumor (friend of a friend thing) that close to 70% of the bulls in 9 had dropped atleast one side. i find that very hard to believe, being the first week of march and all. let ya know if i find anything else out.

good luck this shed season

Thanks for the information. Yeah I find it hard to believe that 70% of the bulls in 9 have dropped one. Only one way to find out huh. Based on your inquiry I will have to hit the hills real soon. Thanks again.

i was in show low during that last snow storm and ran into a guy that had a truck full of browns he and his truck looked as if they had been rolling in the mud. he said they had just started to drop in the east part of the state. wish i could had what he had in that truck some nice 300 class sheds not huge just nice.

cohntr6,

I will be staying in phoenix, but can get to just about any part of the state. The eastern half is great this time of year. Send me a PM and maybe we can meet up.

take care,
Jason

I was up this last weekend and only saw one good bull (360 class) and some 5 points and they were still packing. Did manage to find a dead 5x4 but it was pretty fresh so I left til I get up there in 2 weeks.

I live in Unit 9, and I can assure you that not too many bulls have dropped yet. I am in the woods every day and I've only seen one bull missing an antler so far this year. I have also seen 1 deer missing 1 side. I've probably looked at 70+ bulls this week too.

Yeah I kind of figured that the bulls up there would not be sropping yet either. I live in Flagstaff and the animals around here have their haed gear still. Where in 9 were you? I generally look around in the Grandview area. Any areas you could point me to. Thanks.

hey thanks for the update archer11. i figured that it was too good to be true. i'll be up in 10 this weekend, hope to find some more of last years and see what the bulls look like. best of luck to everyone this year.

If anyone wants to help a poor Oregon boy out I am going to be in Flagstaff for a conference March14-17. I have the 15th off and was hoping to get out for a hike. i dont need any honey holes or anything just a nice hike. A friend gave me a few suggestions, but I would rather not hit it alone. I will return the favor for anyone who wants an Oregon trip.

I have been out 5 weekends and skipped a couple of work days and to tell the truth this has been one of the hardest years. 10 brown and 25 white with 2 pick up heads one 330 bull and one 25" mule deer fork. The best is yet to come,,, I hope.

Well Ryan you're kickin my tail, I've only got 4 browns so far. Found 17 on Saturday but only packed out 7 or 8. Nothing to fancy but one of the browns was pretty nice. I'll send you pics.

Josh Epperson

Josh,

Please do I look forward to seeing them, I was out this past weekend as well and found only one brown and 12 white including 3 whitetail sheds one pretty nice one. congrats on your finds and good luck Josh,
Ryan

Add a cc josh!

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Went out today and found 3 big brown and 4 white it was tough going and I know I left some behind do to the thick cover.I glassed up 3 of the white and nearly needed a hanglider to get to them but it was fun.

I would show pictures but the background would give my location away real easily.For once I saw no quad tracks or footprints...

Ryan

no quad tracks?? are you sure you were in az..lol..i would like to know who the "bumbs" were that went into 9 east side when it was closed?? quad tracks on fencelines ,waterholes,everywhere!! and they were from a month or so ago.we waited like good little boys and went right when they opened it up right...the "horn poachers" has already been everywhere.glad you found a place with no "quatards"
ajoe

I talked to a forest service guy in 9 last weekend and he told me that guys were sneeking in there since late Feb. The 75 dollar fee was worth it to the guys who got caught. He also informed me that 90% of the people were just cutting cross country and through the tree line to get away and there was nothing he could do.

He also asked me why I was not riding my quad cross country since it is legal and such. He told me to drive anywhere I liked but to not run over trees and spin out. I could not believe it, and he told me that in August the new law will kick in regarding quads and off road. I waited as well and lost out on a lot of antlers.

Ryan

ryan,from the looks of the tracks i saw that was about when we figured someone was in there?? i paly by the rules...and i sleep well. i will turn up a few here and there and found a few already i just like finding them .
ajoe

older 6 pt
4813f3cd28c26b64.jpg

4813f4222b6912a4.jpg

one side
4813f4cb2eef1773.jpg

other side
4813f4fe30d0d4db.jpg

4813f58234efb4d4.jpg

4813f60e3a27d459.jpg

4813f79546f1c68c.jpg

I have quite a few more but I took the pict. with my camera set at too high of quality, my bad. But there will be more to come.

Found my first one. Don't bother in unit 6A, I'm going to clean it out this weekend :)

FirstElk.jpg

went out today and did some predator hunting but it turned out to be more shed hunting instead,,
heres a whitetail
481e88db44e82a7a.jpg

another look
481e8aa951784b1e.jpg

smaller brown
481e8928469fa63c.jpg

another couse
481e896948d89b80.jpg

another brown
481e89994a66ad37.jpg

and heres one from last year,,, little but its horn
481e89f24ce320dd.jpg