anyone have any antelope tags?

Trad Bow 1979

Hello again my New Mexico friends. Well after about 15 years of applying for an antelope tag I still have not drawn one. Does anyone out there have one available? I am not cheap, however I do not have the budget for some of these tags I have seen online. Any feedback would be appreciated!

LCHC, could you PM some info re the tags you have. I'm AZ resident and don't hope to draw AZ or NM anytime soon. Definitely interested in something this year though. thx

Jfw has been good to me with help.No trouble with anything they have done for me in the last two years at all.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-12 AT 06:39PM (MST)[p]Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware)

This is such a touchy subject in New Mexico. I prefer to buy my LO tags for speedgoats directly from the landowner as I like for them to get the most bang for their buck and because it saves my crew a pile of money.

However, many of my buddies are outfitters who rely on their LO tags and relationships with landowners to keep their businesses afloat and produce quality hunts. Also, lots of outfitters take very good care of the lands they lease and some properties have turned incredible corners as a result of outfitter time and money. These guys are accountable (those that I know) both to their landowners AND their clients. Sometimes, such as last year, I have to rely on them to produce a number of tags at a reasonable price. I do expect there to be a level of quality for the hunts and will only buy from guys I know and respect. The relationship here goes beyond the sale of a voucher number as these guys know the landowners they buy the tags from on a personal level, know the quality of animals on the ranches and accurately represent that quality, and are accountable to the guys who buy tags from them.

Then, there are what many of us call "Tag Hos", guys who will buy and sell LO vouchers to turn nothing more than a profit with zero regard for the quality of the hunt they are selling, much less the landowner or lands the tag covers. I cannot tell you the number of bummed out, ripped-off, pissed off, and unsuccessful goat hunters I talk to each year that bought a tag from a "broker" or online, often via E-Bay. These are the snakes in the grass you would not do business with in any other aspect of your life. If all you get is a song and dance, voucher code and a map, you should proceed cautiously or not at all.

There are LOTS of properties with landowner tags in New Mexico that have lousy antelope hunting. Conversely, there a MANY ranches with killer hunting. Do your homework on units and regions that produce the type of hunt you want, look at the A Plus landowner list and don't be afraid to call some landowners to see if they will sell you a tag or know of a ranch that is selling tags. Many landowners have contracts in place with outfitters and will not sell to you. However, many landowners will sell to you if you can beat out the low-ball prices tag "brokers" offer them. Best thing you can do is get a small group of guys together and try to buy all of the tags (4 to 6) on a ranch at once. Pay a little bit more and have the place to yourselves without having to worry about what dates any other hunters will be on the property or that you won't be allowed to hunt until every big goat has already been shot at or killed.

You can take control of your hunt and make it an annual trip, essentially creating a relationship with a landowner that you will carry into the future.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

EDIT: As an aside, guys like LCHC and JFWRC ARE definitely accountable and are what I consider to be "producers." I've not done business with either of them and JFWRC does do a bit of tag "brokering." However, reputations are earned in this industry and in my opinion, these guys and their crews have proven reputations for producing quality hunts.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Buy vouchers from reputable people you know or have referrences for. Buying off Ebay is worse than stupid. I can sell you a fake voucher and have your money spent before you get a hint it's no good.

Jim and Kelly do a great job. He gets my money and I've sent a basket full of people to him. If there was ever a problem, my phone would have been ringing.

Cody-really liked your post. Lots of wisdom.

Bob-what can I say other than Kelly and I have the utmost respect for you and we truly value your friendship. Thank you.

Jim, put me onto another outfitter last season for a deer tag. No problems or regrets at all. Jim & Kelly were 110% professional & great to work with.

DUKFVR-Thanks Very Much for your kind words. Did you get a deer?

BTW-LCHC is awesome to work with. Hope he can get you taken care of. No BS type of guy.

I have done business with Jim Welles (JFWRC) and I can tell you he is a stand up guy. I would not hesitate to buy another voucher from him.

I'm also looking to purchase a antelope tag for my so and I. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Yes Jim, I killed a really nice heavy Buck. It was a Great hunt & time. One, I won't forget! THANKS Again!!

>DUKFVR-Thanks Very Much for your kind
>words. Did you get a
>deer?
>
>BTW-LCHC is awesome to work with.
>Hope he can get you
>taken care of. No BS
>type of guy.

PM's sent to all interested parties.

I can say that JFWRC is a stand up guy as well and have bought tags from him in the past and everything was great. I have sold hunts to DUKFVR and his good buddy and both were great guys. I have also met NMELKTROUT on a oryx hunt and he is a quality guy that knows what he is talking about.

Here is the story on the tags that I have. I have been outfitting for several years and planned on outfitting these tags as well this year. 12 weeks ago my mom had a ruptured aneurysm and has been in 3 different hospitals in Albuquerque and has been recovering very very slowly. My dad had a stroke just 2 weeks after that and was 5 doors down from my mom for several days. His health has been going south every since. I'm selling these tags cause I havent had a chance to scout and will not have time to run the hunts because me and my family have been all over NM taking care of our ill parents.

The tags are not cheap but will come with lodging and help from me if I get a chance. I really don't know what the quality of the bucks are due to not scouting. I'm just trying to sell the tags for what I have in them.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom