Anyone with info on Bonny Reservoir.

Dikndirt

Anyone with info on bonny reservoir? I am looking for a reasonable size whitetail [135-150] and have plenty of n/r points to draw a tag in that unit. I have alot of time and dont mind hiking in or boating away from crowded parts of res. Any help would be appreciated.

i know nothing about hunting there but I do know that there is not a tree in sight and the wind is blowing constantly. Also pretty flat out there. I have never herd of hunting in that area.

No trees on the east end but alot of trees on the west end as I recall where the river comes in. Been a few years since I was out there and that was for a fishing tournament not hunting. Must be pretty good or it wouldnt take so many points to draw ?

Actually - there are lots of trees (east side as well).

I turkey hunted it. Only time I was there was the spring...so my opinion may not count for much. My opinion is - it is not worth the points it takes to draw.

Good turkey spot though...

This is the east side. Have not been for a couple of years...the reservoir was in pretty sad shape when I was there.

Sounds like there is a possibility that res. is down to the short rows.

4287bonnie_024.jpg

Thanks for reply ramtagless, thats a nice pic of ya with a pretty tom. I have heard that the whitetail are doing well out there and there are 7000 acres of public land to hunt. I will continue my research.

By no means was I intending to be a wet blanket. The park ranger that checked us in the spring...made the comment that he could not believe the number of points it took to draw. We chatted for quite a while and he said the deer hunting is good, just maybe not that good.

Hell - for all I know he was blowing smoke and it is phenomenal. Like ya say just do a bunch of research before you use up your points. Good luck...

I haven't hunted Bonny, but my experience in Eastern CO with whitetails has been good. Because the tags are pretty limited, the bucks have a good chance of maturing.

I don't know what the density of deer is like at Bonny, but my guess is that if you can see some bucks they are likely to be in the score range you are looking for. If you have a rifle and are willing to put in the time/work, I would think it would be a good hunt. A little tougher with a bow.

Good luck.

mshred

My dad drew the archery tag about 4 years ago, he never killed one but we did see a few decent bucks. The guy at the check station was very helpful to us and you may be able to get ahold of him and pick his brain a bit. Call the DOW or look on their site for the number.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom