Applegate Wisdom

bigbull1

Very Active Member
I hoping to draw an Applegate muzzy tag (8 points)...would you drop the bucks for an outfitter or is there chance at a decent buck in a week? My new job is limiting for additional scouting.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

I'm surprised you waited till you have 8 points. That tag can be drawn every 2-3 years. I have never hunted down there, but have heard great things about that unit and tag. You have a great chance to harvest a mature buck. I would hunt the first and last week myself with what I have seen hunting blacktails in the Willamette unit. It would be a bummer if you used 8 points and didn't tag out on anything; so I would almost suggest getting a guide. You may be on incredible private land or learn some of the public land out there to hunt later in the future. Good luck. That is the tag I will be putting in for after I use up all my points in the future.

Guessing you are a non resident, 6 points to draw, enough public to have a good hunt, but some of the better is on private. It is good, fun hunt.

Rich

If you are a resident, you should partner up with someone when you apply. You could get someone else a tag even if they have no points!

I have hunted that area in the general season and with weather have found a lot of the deer move down low onto the private but I think you should be able to find a good number of good bucks on public land also. It is obviously a prime rut hunt so the bucks will be where the does are and not where they really would be early so I don't think you are missing much by not scouting.

The general season there gets quite a bit of pressure and goes until around 3-9 of Nov. and when I have hunted it the deer don't really seem to be showing signs of heavy rut but I think a week or two later it is ON HEAVY.

Hunt the units and burns as that will be where the does are and if you find does tear apart the brush with glass because there WILL be a buck there somewhere and he will lay down when he detects you and won't get up until he is fully convinced you are gone.

Good luck and have fun! I would hunt on my own on Public but I know the country, do whats best for you and the tag you will up your odds tremendously with a guide on private.

Bill

I have guided and outfitted that hunt more then a few times it is a great hunt wait until after the 12th of november to hunt. If you want a few ideas after you draw the tag I can give you a few if you want a stud blacktail that is the hunt to go on.

Dave

Ed
I was planning on applying for this tag in the next year or two. From the research I have done there is plenty of public land and is very doable for a great buck DIY. But by all means, if you have and are willing to spend the money I feel a guided or private property hunt would be amazing.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom