Application Numbers

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Do you think that the application numbers will be down this year based on the coronavirus pandemic? Unemployment and lack of income could reduce the numbers of applicants significantly.
I believe applications have been steadily increasing over the last few years. Anyone know the statistics on growth?

Covid19 might have had an effect on the guys that waited to apply in the last couple weeks. I don't know what percentage waits till the end, but I doubt I would have went all in for everything like I did if I would have waited till the last week.

Yup it was charged on the credit card long before Corona showed it's Igly head. Now as far as hunters in the woods after they Draw a tag and have no job that's a different story. Hope we pull out of this soon.

I dont think it will deter applicants at all. It's the super bowl for vast majority of hunters and we like having the meat for the year.
But will be nice if odds increase for sure. I think my family gots 17 seperate apps in but some are long shots..

The resident pool will remain unaffected IMO. I know tons of NR that do wait until the last couple days to apply because they're tying up thousands of dollars . I believe a FEW may have skipped a year. Just my thoughts, might be wrong.

Rumor on rokslide is up 10k!!! :(

No idea the validity but thought the guy posted on here too so maybe he can chime in.

It never surprises me when hunting apps go up. They always go up. Prices of unit wide elk tags seem to always go up no matter what is going on with the economy. Rule of thumb seems to be $500 a year increase. Never seems to fail

Well the upside of more apps is growth in a stronger hunting community. Anything healthy grows. Lowering odds definitely not fun. One unit we applied for back in 2013, 2014 has dropped about 10% overall odds. Now that unit is no longer in our apps.

People are fickle and forget easy. A nation brought together with increased belief in God after 9/11 ended within 2 years...

I hope you’re right as a NR!

The resident pool will remain unaffected IMO. I know tons of NR that do wait until the last couple days to apply because they're tying up thousands of dollars . I believe a FEW may have skipped a year. Just my thoughts, might be wrong.

I agree with most here... the COVID-19 thing happened a bit too late to affect the applicant pool much. I'm curious to know what happens on the back end. I could envision non-residents wanting to turn tags in a recoup their money in the event that they get into a financial bind. How many tags end up going unused this year?

Wouldn't surprise me if NM makes consessions this year if travel is still restricted or ridiculous imposed closures are still in force. Hunts begin in June for off range oryx, full force by August for Antelope and start of archery elk...

If this is still going on in August, I'm afraid hunting seasons, licenses, and tags will all be meaningless...

If this is still going on in August, I'm afraid hunting seasons, licenses, and tags will all be meaningless...
Meaningless because the economy will be totally destroyed ? Or you think the world will be over ?

To the destitute, it's not "poaching" if it's a matter of feeding themselves and their families.
That's right. Rules and morals and such have a way of changing dramatically when folks get desperate. Hopefully we can avoid that situation.

Since NM requires the fee to be paid up front I don't think that much will change after the draws are done. The money is already allocated on CC's. A few groceries in the backpack aren't going to make a difference vs a few groceries at home. also with the price of gas dropping, it makes the hunting expenses easier to cope with.
I don't see any change for NM.
Other states with a later deadline and later date for actual license payment may see a decline.

If a guy lost his job couldn't he delete his app before the draw? There may be some of that going on.

Yes, if someone wanted to they can go in and delete their app and I believe they would receive a refund very soon. Given NM is a poor state I wonder how many are actually going in and deleting because they lost their job and need to reallocate their financial resources to more important things like rent, mortgage, utilities, etc.

The "nice" thing about credit cards though, you are not obligated to pay them off anytime soon, or at all really, so I imagine most people who hunt (because it certainly isn't for value based grocery items) are letting things ride for now.

I think some with withdraw because they can’t afford to draw. The lag in credit card payment is a minor benefit in such cases.

What was the total application #s last year?
I have a application # from the first 8 min of the draw opening.
If anyone applied last few minutes you can pm me your last minute application # and we can get a very close estimated apps this yr.

I always thought everybody had to pay back their credit card if there is a way to use it and not pay it back I don’t know about it.

All a CC company can do is hound you and hound you and send it to collections, maybe put a ding on your credit report. Also if used to buy a vehicle with maybe repossess. If used on consumables such as fuel, food, and tags - pretty difficult of getting it back.

That is why interest rates are so high, we pay the risk of people defaulting on a balance.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom