archery 7 west elk

zukicrazy

i got drawn for 7 west archery looking for pointers never hunted archery elk before so this is all new to me i have hunted rifle in the unit twice it was really hard 2 years ago so i wanted to try something different i have talk to a couple guides and i heard that on public hunts the elk calls dont really work i bought a mac daddy bull call and a couple of diferent mouth cow calls didnt no if i was wasting my time also i have seen u tube clips when they set on water holes any help well do thank you

I had the tag 2 years ago. Good hunt but a tough hunt. The bulls were very call shy. My advice would be to do a lot of listening and try to get in front of the herd. I shot a nice 320 bull in the southern part of the unit. Between the gas line and 40. Pm me and i'll give you a few more details

i have been scouting for the last 2 weeks seen lots of small bulls i had a area picked out the dam forest firmen started the hobble mountains on fire and are going to try to get it to burn all the way to the 180 this realy sucks what happened was a lighting hit a tree we put it out but somebody reported it so they lit it back up and said it jumped the road now its called a controlled fire the bigger bulls that we saw are still together some of the rag horns have alot of cows

Well that's a bummer. My first tag in 7 years and there have been 2 fires in 7W this summer. The Hobble Mountain fire is now over 50 acres and still burning. Looks like we'll be hunting the south end of the unit.

Just got home from 7w that fire is just a ground fire and I think it is going to burn itself out. Thing I am worried about is the wind picked up this afternoon could make it worse. Talked to the info officer and they want that fire to burn so if it does kick up they will let it(hope it does not get out of hand).They have a info stand on the 730 north of Spring Valley Rd. for anyone interested. Zuki was that your tree stand on Indian? If it was I understand your frustration.

fire.jpg

The nice thing is underburning will help the grass grow and lessen tree crowding to let sunlight hit the ground. It will be a great wildlife hotspot in future years. Look how many 3c pictures you see of big bulls in the Rodeo fire scar!

this was my first archery elk hunt i had a great time missed 2 really big bulls 380 plus with only 2 days left i took this one i had a blast

Every time we drove by that camp we would ask ourselves why wouldn't someone just move? That camp was there for what, over three weeks and breathing smoke the entire time.

it was there for over a month evertime it went out they lit it when i left they were buring over buy buck mountain it was only bad on the week before the hunt after that my boss had his camp trailer there oh we thought about moving several times my buddy got in fight with the head fire ranger that was funny

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-10 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]my boss hit a nice bull the last day of the hunt on 7 pines tank he seemed to be hit real good we track him behind the tank he came to the fence that has the cattle guard he wouldnt jump he left a puddle of blood he went down the fence line intell he found were the fence was nocked down he went about 600 yards and then started up to buck mountain my boss was realy up set on one side it was perfect on the other he was all wackey we want to head back up there to see if we can find him

Zuki am I looking at that picture wrong? It looks like you guys got an elk on the roof of a jeep. He must be cut up or you got a helo or a lot of people. I know that tank and the direction he took it gets thick going that way and steep. Good luck, I have a problem further south with my son's elk let me know if you guys are going up to look. I will be up there looking. We called you guys the fire camp this year, you are a hardy group. Congrats on your elk.

I bet it was heavy Zuki. I hope you guys have luck finding that bull off sevens. I have to go to Phoenix the first part of the week then my wife and I will go back up to look for my sons bull. He just got back with no luck and he is broke up about it. My wife is good luck so we hope we can find him for the closure for my son. Good ride up there this year in 7w with good folks hunting and good bugles. Thats what it is all about a good ride with friends and family.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom