Archery and Bi-Focals?

EROCK1313

My dad brought up an Archery vision related question that I'm not sure I answered correctly.

He has Bowhunted for for as long as I can remember with using both old-school compounds (back when they were still top of the line, but still shot instinctively) and recurves. He took somewhat of a hiatus from Archery (though you could never tell) and has either used a rifle or not hunted since about the mid 90's.

Since I decided to try a new challenge and take up archery about 3.5 years ago, he has gotten back into it and showed me the ropes using only his recurve. He wants to get a new compound, but with all the new technology and using sights now versus instinctive shooting, he has some worries.

He is 54 and has had to start to use reading glasses for the last couple of years. His Distance Vision is still phenomenal, but his up close vision has done the typical age related thing and started to give way. His concern is how he can use modern equipment with sights and be able to focus on those since they are fairly close and then still be able to focus on his target.

My suggestion is that he gets Bi-Focals. Is this truly the solution, or do any of you know any other options.

**As a Side note, I had a bungee cord puncture my eye and detach my retina a couple years ago, which screwed up my "close" up vision in my left eye. I had to choose if I wanted "Close" vision or "Distance" vision when they did surgery. Being that I love hunting Utah Muleys, we all know what I decided on (distance). I took up archery shortly after. Luckily I am right eye dominant so I am a little better off than him, being able to do both distances with one eye and one on the other. This is why I thought of Bi-Focals as a solution for him (I only wear a contact in my "Good" eye - go figure).**

?-ERock-> ?

I use reading glasses, couldn't read witout them but shoot my compound without glasses and don't realy have any trouble with distance. I have a pair of bifocals and can't shoot very good at all with them, maybe I haven't tried very hard with the bifocals. I shoot with both eyes open and it works fine for me. Good luck.

Erock he may be able to get by just fine with finding a pin (size) that he can see with an outstretched arm. if that doesn't work Specialty archery products makes a peep that has a lens in it that may help him with the issue with a normal pin sight. It corrects the vision slightly in the peep offsetting his reading correction. some guys have found they work just fine in his age bracket. a good archery shop will have a kit with the different powered lens for you to see how it works. They have two models that have 4-6 different powered lens and he may be surprised at how well they work. good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom