Are there any elk in Utah?

R

ricecanyon

I hear of lots of bulls being shot in Utah. However, I have hunted elk the last five years and seen only one elk. No, I am not just hunting the roads, and I have tried multiple areas (Monte, Uintas, Boulder, ect.), but for some reason I have not found the elk. I guess that I have the worst luck. I don't care if I shoot a big elk, I would at least like to see one to know that they truly exist here in Utah.

The only elk I have seen in Utah have been dead. Maybe that's the problem?

THER IS TRUTH TO THE SAYING. 10% OF THE ELK HUNTERS KILL 90% OF ELK THE KILLED. AND ITS THE SAME 10 % THAT DO IT YR IN YR OUT. SPEND MOORE TIME SCOUTING OR PAY A GUIDE. NO EASY WAY AROUND IT.OR MAKE SOME BUDDY,S. LOL

There are elk in Utah, but the elk are where you find them.
This season in 4 days of hunting I was within 40 yards of about 60 different elk at different times.
It's just difficult to find them once the hunts begin. You need to do the work before the season, and your odds will improve.
Best of luck.

"Luck is often nothing more than preparation running into opportunity.?
-Some Smart Guy

Nope, no elk here in Utah, they all migrated over into Colorado and now they don't know what to do with them all!! ;-)

J/K....just keep looking, pretty soon you'll find yourself right in the middle of 'em, ya just gotta pay your dues first.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

All the bulls you hear about from Utah are coming off very difficult to draw units. If you are coming from out of state to hunt the general any bull units, I wouldn't waist my time in Utah. Colorado and even Wyoming have much better any bull units where hunter success is higher then Utahs any bull units.

A few weeks ago I was camping in one of those hard to draw units and in 2 days of just riding my 4 wheeler around on the roads and glassing from different vantage points I saw 10-12 6 point or better bulls, so yes they do exist.

i was deep into the back woods of norhtern utah and i would bugle and the bulls would bugle. never could shoot though. i went hunting with 3 buddie sna d the only thing shot was a friggin deer! monster buck, but no elk!

Maybe you should put your Bugle away!! Half of everyones problem is that everyone pulls out the ole bugle and lets em fly!! There is a right time and place to bugle to the elk. Good heck I watched 4 different guys pull into a canyon and turn off their truck and bugle away!! I was watching 2 large bulls and them guys never seen them and had no clue their were any elk in there. DRIVES ME NUTTS!

+1

"hunted five years and only seen one elk"...
Hey dude, I'm thinking you had better find a new hobby...
Or get a new pair of glasses...
Holy Crap!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-07 AT 07:46AM (MST)[p]First of all, I just bought a new pair of glasses. Second, some of us aren't lucky enough to live in elk heaven. Maybe you could help a poor guy out instead of make fun of him.
Can anybody give me any good advice as what I can do to get into the elk.

>Maybe you should put your Bugle
>away!! Half of everyones problem
>is that everyone pulls out
>the ole bugle and lets
>em fly!! There is a
>right time and place to
>bugle to the elk. Good
>heck I watched 4 different
>guys pull into a canyon
>and turn off their truck
>and bugle away!! I was
>watching 2 large bulls and
>them guys never seen them
>and had no clue their
>were any elk in there.
>DRIVES ME NUTTS!

ya see, i am one of those guys that knows when to bugle and when to not. its alot like duck hunting, if the ducks are talking then talk back. but just so you know, you professional hunter you, i called in a 350 bull on a spike only unit. so don't you try to lectuer me on not calling!

When I got glasses it really helped..
Now get out there and stop, look, and listen..
Just like kindergarten!!!
Basics are a must

>When I got glasses it really
>helped..
>Now get out there and stop,
>look, and listen..
>Just like kindergarten!!!
>Basics are a must

Wow! I bet this will really help rice canyon. I know I have never tried to stop, look, and listen. This is great advice!!!!

I would also like to know if there are any areas in utah, not limited entry, that you have a decent chance at an elk. I don't care if it is anything huge. I would just like to know that when I go out to hunt Elk I have a chance at gettting one. Otherwise I might as well just go fishin.

ssj,

That was pretty sound advice to look and listen. This thread has to be a joke. No way could a guy spend 5 years hunting on Boulder and the Uintahs and only see one elk. I do not care how crappy a guy hunts or how blind he is, he will see more than one in 5 weeks of hunting.

>ssj,
>
>That was pretty sound advice to
>look and listen. This thread
>has to be a joke.
>No way could a guy
>spend 5 years hunting on
>Boulder and the Uintahs and
>only see one elk. I
>do not care how crappy
>a guy hunts or how
>blind he is, he will
>see more than one in
>5 weeks of hunting.

i don't know if i really want to be taking advise from someone who doesn't know the difference between 5 years and 5 weeks. you are the joke. i have walked, camped, packed in, hiked and killed myself working trails and meadows and still i have never found this great abundance of elk that you so smugly have infered utah holds.

Let me explain it to you jack ass.

If a guy says he has hunted for 5 years I can only presume that would be 5 hunting seasons. 5 hunting seasons would equate to roughly 5 weeks. Get it?

The Boulder is a LE unit. Tons of elk and tons of big bulls. You can general season hunt spikes there. If you spend 5 weeks or 5 years there and see one elk, you are blind.

you are an ass whole. the hunt runs for a hell of a lot longer than one week. so what i'm trying to say is that, generally, you're wrong. get it? honestly, you have to get on this thread and knock someone who asks for help. you must be a mighty hunter.

OK...A little poll...

Just how many of you MM members couldn't go out right now, to a new area, and LOOK and LISTEN and see more than ONE freaking elk in 5 years...

Come on! He asked for advice and we gave him some...
With the "comment 1 elk in 5 years", it sounds like he needs some of the basic skills...
If you can't handle a little sound advice, why are you even on here!!!
Holy Crap!!!

Is that ass whole or ass hole? Sorry about the miscalculation of the week. I think the elk hunt is a hell of a lot shorter than a year. Silly me.

I am a mighty hunter. I saw 2 elk last year. Talk about racking up the numbers?

Maybe one day out counting elk you can tell me I am whole to my face?

Hey RiceCanyon,
To show you I'm serious...get down here and we'll jump in my truck and within less than an hour I can show your freakin bulls!
I'm not being a Smart -$$, just giving you some sound advice..
And the same to ssjb or whatever...
Come on down...
I've got $500 in my pocket that I can show you big bulls..
I'm off at 5:30 pm...
I think ktc hit is on the head...Ja****ss...

ok. i'll stop being an *ss. but in all honesty i would love to see elk that fast i have an archery tag and would love to sliver an elk.
thanks for your sincere help.

beat this

I guess you live in a lot better place then I do. I can't even get to a good area in an hour. I wish I did have a place like that. Are you talking a limited entry area or any bull? That makes a big difference to me.

I live right in the middle of the Pahvant, and Monroe, which are LE and the Beaver, and Fishlake which are LE and also spike only for open bulls. I'd even give you the choice of a couple of units... Give me one hour and I can show you a hundred head or better.....
Yes I do live in a great area, probably right in some of the best elk hunting in the country, and I don't appreciate it when somebody asks for help and I try to help...Yea, my one comment about getting a new hobby was a crack, but the glasses and the stop and look and listen is about as serious as a freakin heart attack...
So anybody up for the $500 bet?

I don't think anyone argues the fact that you can see many elk in LE areas. It's the open bull areas I would like to know about.

if you can't find an elk on the pahvant then, yes, you would have to be an idiot. but you can't shoot a spike on that unit. i deer hunt down there and have been just covered up in elk, but there as good as caribou because with out years of trying to draw they are off limits. but where would you say to hunt. we have hunted around boulder but only one side. where are the elk that me and some buddies could stick? i want to just be able to take home some meat.

beat this

The original post stated "one elk in Utah"...and included some good units...
I can't even drive to an open unit in an hour so guess I'm out there, but I'm sure I could go and find elk...
Fishlake is open as far as spikes, so I'd still take the bet there....for spikes and cows..that you can shoot with an archery permit...
And I'm sure I could get quite a crew together that would make you the same bet...B_F_E, Fishlakeelkhunter, tatterot, Monroemtnshedfreak, ups, and I can build the list if you want..
Anyway to answer the point of the post, YES there are elk in Utah!

Deserteagle.. Its easy.. pull out your bugle and they will come running into your arrow! LMAO! I hope you savered the moment on your 350 bull that you called in. It must have known that you were very desperate to see the fur of an elk so he showed you. BUGLE BUGLE BUGLE! lol

it was one of the funnest things when he came hauling in. but i'm not the kind that jumps out of the pickup and calls and walks and calls and takes a nap and calls and finds a crapping log and calls. i let him make the first move. but that is the only elk i have found that was interested. you know any hot spots where i could do a little harvesting?

beat this

It looks like things got a little heated yesterday. I wasn't able to be by a computer, but wow. I was just asking for a little help. For those that said if I have only seen one elk in 5 years and I'm no good for that, and that I shouldn't be on here if I can't see more elk than that, then what is this site for? I know that I need to stop listen and look. However, I have still only seen 1 elk in 5 years. I have heard some calling, but never could get close enough to them to see them. For those fighting about bugling, I normally don't bugle either, if I do anything I cow call. The reason that I started this thread is that it is frustrating when you feel like you are doing the things you need to to find elk and you see so few elk. Thanks to those of you that gave me good advice and didn't talk down to me.

ricecanyon,
i agree with you 100% lets go elk hunting on an open bull unit and we'll see what we can sliver.

beat this

Hey Rice,
Keep the wind in your face.
Keep the fire in your soul.
Keep huntin!

These guys arent making fun of ya, just havin fun with ya!

The more time you spend out there the better.
Dont just go out on weekends, when you go into unfamiliar territory, it may take a few days to locate the animals.
Buy a good pair of boots, and wear 'em out...you'll find em.
Good luck,
Steve

I don't know why people have to be such dumb a** on this site. The guy asks for a little help and all people give him is bull sh**. I guess this site is only for proffesional hunters and guides. Us regular people need to just shut up and leave. Don't try to help someone, just ridicule and make fun of them. Nice hardware ranch coordinates. Don't try to help. Just make stupid a** comments.

rice canyon,
let me find an elk for you. i'll take you to the pahvant, monroe mts, lets fly over deseret! and ya hardware ranch too! i'll show you elk. lets go to the zoo, thats less than a half hour away, and they have some big bulls. but in real life lets go hiking and find something to shoot.

beat this

The best advice I can give you is keep moving. If you don't see sign of elk (fresh tracks, crap, scraps, wallows or the good old scent) move on. Elk more often than not are found where you don't find others.

Blow a bugle only one time at first shooting light, then listen and wait. Ten minutes later rake a tree, a small pine, for a good 2 minutes. Then wait again, maybe 5 minutes and give a few short cow calls. Wait and listen and keep a watch out, many elk in this state come in quietly. Don't call again in this area unless you get an answer. Wait for 20 minutes and move on over into the next drainage or canyon. You will eventually get into them.

Good luck,
I have killed 5 bulls over the last 8 years in the Uintah's with archery tackle. Remember the last 2 days of the season is the best.

Trevor Doman

Thanks for your encouragement and help. I'll keep trying, and with your suggestions, hopefully I will have a better chance at getting an elk. I truly appreciate the help.

Even though you may have been hacked on a bit on this thread - all have given you sound advice. You must hunt where the elk are at the time you are hunting, not where they were two weeks before becouse often times they will move to where the pressure is the very least. To find these places you have to pay the price, and find them. Scout hard and scout often. Get high on a muontain ridge and glass for them, check their water sourcesand known feeding areas. Remember dont give up just becouse you havent seen much - just keep hunting, and allow yourself plenty of time to hunt elk. However, when it all comes together-and it eventually will- it will happen fast so always be ready. No matter what the weapon you can kill one of these awesome animals. No greater accomplishment.Work hard dude, and post he results of this hunt.
Best of luck,
Lambo

>I would also like to know
>if there are any areas
>in utah, not limited entry,
>that you have a decent
>chance at an elk. I
>don't care if it is
>anything huge. I would just
>like to know that when
>I go out to hunt
>Elk I have a chance
>at gettting one. Otherwise I
>might as well just go
>fishin.

Just go "fishin". Free hand-outs don't come easy when your talking to a bunch of hunters who have put in their time in the field scouting, hunting, and learning all they can about the species being hunted. This is publicly viewed and giving out "honey hole" locations is against the sportsmans rules!
-------------------------
Formerly known as "greatwhitehunter" on dwr forums

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom