Area 10 4x3 genetics

aluey

I was bow hunting/scouting last week, saw many nice bucks. Of those, 8 were 4x3 and 4 were 4x4. This is my first hunt in nv. In my other mule hunts in Or. It is about 10 to 1 4x4. Any thoughts?

I agree..I hunted it a couple years ago and saw some interesting genetics in the area we were hunting.. lots of upside down 3-points, 3x4 etc...However, all three of us killed good 4 points..... still a fun hunt.

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

We see ALOT of 4x3 bucks in the rubys.You will also see some huge forked horn bucks. I think they should try to have a management tag for a few years to weed out a bunch of the crappy genetics and let the better bucks do the breeding.
Does anyone else have an oppinion on this?
I spoke with a game warden about this and he said the problem with a management hunt is that there seems to be more deer left to lay afer someone shoots the wrong buck.

A management hunt would not be a bad idea. One of the 4x3 had a 30-32in spread, with a 4th pt would have been a true monster.

I have hunted quite a few areas around the state including area 10 and have seen 3x4 or 2x3 bucks in most of them. I would definately prefer a true 4 point but I wouldnt pass up a good solid heavy buck because he has just 3 on one side. Just my opinion.

I agree with the above post about management hunts. There are just too many people out there who would shoot and leave bucks lay till they kill a "legal" one.

I have shot my share of them. About 6 years ago I had various opportunities at a real nice 2X2, 30in plus, at yardage from 20 yards out to 100 yards. If I hadn't seen that real nice 4x4 a day prior to opener I would have gladly taken him. I told my son to shoot him but he said he was waiting for the big one also. Last day or so I started trying to find him, as you know I couldn't find him.

A 30" forkie would be a sweet trophy! I'd pull the trigger on day one on a buck like that.

Steve

I have a landowner tag that let's me hunt all seasons. I made the Mon Tue Wed turn around trip from socal just to scout for the muzz opener. I plan on bivi tenting at 9000 and going after that 30+ 4x3 or one of the other bombers I saw at 9500+ ft.
Aaron
Ps. Hunted A zone today in Santa Barbara saw five does. You guys in Nv have amazing deer.

aluey- I'm in Santa Maria....where abouts near Santa Barbara did you hunt? 5 does? That's reason to celebrate!! And I'm being serious! Pm me if you'd like. Also, you are hunting area 10 with a muzzleloader?

Steve

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom