area 17

huntin40

Hello everyone

I have area 17 for archery this year. I have already been scouting two different weekends and i was not utterly impressed. I will or at least can backpack hunt, but the water situation was scarce going in through cow and ledbetter. Does anyone have any knowledge of springs that wont be dry by the time the season comes, or should we be looking into other areas for this unit. Did not see many or big bucks either.

Thanks guys and good luck this year

-Chad

I have hunted that area a lot. I hunted it 2 years with a rifle and 5 years with a bow. I would still be hunting it, but I had to grow up and get a real job so I know live in Nevadafornia (vegas)and don't have enough time to hunt that far away. I have never been able to rely on water there. The areas that have a lot of water (ie Cottonwood Canyon) get a lot of hunting pressure and good size deer are few and far between. If your after a meat buck hunt a popular canyon with a year around flowing creek. If you want a wall mounter you are going to need to bring water with you.

I always packed in a lot of water on my late scouting trips. I would fill my pack with 4-5 gallons plus the water I would need for that day or two i was scouting. I would hide it good and cover it. Then I would only have to take my tent, sleeping bag, jacket, rain gear, food, and cooking equipment.

Unit 17 as a whole doesn't have high numbers of big bucks, but does have pockets with good numbers. These areas are going to be where other guys arent hunting which normally means to tough to hike and not enough water.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom