Area 30 antelope

searcher

I was wondering if this area is worthwhile for a DIY antelope hunt. I called the WY G&F office this afternoon but didn't get much information. They are supposed to be sending me the landowner list. Is there enough public land that a couple guys with good maps and a GPS chip could have a decent hunt with a chance at a couple of 12-13" antelope? I will probably apply for the HMA areas as well but I see that there are limited permits and you have to draw. Any comments or information would be appreciated. I drew blanks on the general draw and also on Tuesday's blitz. I am now looking at limited opportunities on the dwindling left-over list to take my son-in-law and possibly another friend on a decent hunt. Am also considering getting a Region J deer license and hunting the NF so any comments would be appreciated. I know the fire has wiped out a good chunk of real estate. PMs are welcome and I will share what information I can on Region D.

thanks
Tim

IMO, after looking at the landownership and roads in that unit, it does not appear that there is really enough accessible public land to make a decent hunt. I would not buy tags unless you can gain access to one or more ranches in that unit before you buy the tags. In order to get a permission slip for an HMA you have to already have a valid license for the unit, so it would be best to do like I mentioned and if you lock up a ranch or two, then buy your tag on the computer. Then that should allow you to get into the HMA system and try for a tag. However, I have no idea how much of a time lag there is between buying a tag and being recognized in the system to apply for the HMA draw. Hope that helps a little.

Unit 30 was my first ever WY antelope hunt, latter p art of october. The HMA area to the south contained nothing with a heartbeat but me and the wife. We drew what I believe to be the box Elder, north of the hwy. I think I saw every antelope in that wma and we shot 3 of the 5 bucks I saw.

The hma system is all automatic, it knows what you drew.

WB---The reason I made the lag statement is that I wasn't positive if the system is instantaneous and immediately puts your license information in to the HMA section. I imagine it does because in this day and age keying that stuff in by hand would be ridiculous. It is pretty slick in that your results are in that section when yuo pull it up and only allows you to get a slip for the unit(s) your tag is good for.

Thanks for all your comments. I spent most of this morning looking at maps and getting some ideas on the layout of the roads. I tried to call the biologist but she did not answer. I will ponder on this over the weekend. I really was hoping to find a decent DIY hunt but am not yet convienced that this is it.

Tim

>Thanks for all your comments.
>I spent most of this
>morning looking at maps and
>getting some ideas on the
>layout of the roads.
>I tried to call the
>biologist but she did not
>answer. I will ponder
>on this over the weekend.
> I really was hoping
>to find a decent DIY
>hunt but am not yet
>convienced that this is it.
>
>
>Tim

Its "the busy time" they say..apparently they only answer the phone in december or jan,and they evidently never come into the office or return messages the other 10 months of the year.....lol..good luck!

If you can get the landowner list, I'm sure you'll find some opportunities to hunt. We bought a region J deer tag several years ago and I would never buy one again. Save your money....unless you can get on a private ranch that holds deer. Good luck.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

Is area 30 around Casper or anywhere around there. If so go into Casper and go to the office there. They will give you all the help you need. Ive been ther several times and got lots of info. Call now and get the landowners list. If there are any antelope around they will put you on them.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom