Arlen Specter said he would not switch

viking421a

If you click on the link there is also a video. He made some good points as to why he would not switch.

Apparantley he would rather be a democratic senator than lose his seat as a republican. Glad he is gone!

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/04/28/specter-had-disavowed-a-switch/

April 28, 2009
Specter had disavowed a switch
@ 12:28 pm by Eric Zimmermann
News of Sen. Arlen Specter's party switch today comes after months of strong statements to the contrary by the Pennsylvania Senator.

In a March 17th interview with The Hill, Specter said he absolutely would not switch parties:

[Democrats] are trying very hard for the 60th vote. Got to give them credit for trying. But the answer is no.

I'm not going to discuss private talks I had with other people who may or may not be considered influential. But since those three people are in the public domain, I think it is appropriative to respond to those questions.

I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom