article on moose die offs

How stupid!
Wolves = Moose die off.

Moose in Yellowstone have gone from 1500 5 years ago to !100 today.
WOLF PROBLEM

Northern Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Minnesota, same problem.

In the last 5 years our wolf populations boomed around where I live. Moose and deer have taken a huge hit. The current moose numbers show we are 10% of what we were 6 or 7 years ago. I don't know about other area but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt wolves are indeed the cause of our decline.

I hunted south of Yellowstone 25 yrs ago and saw hundreds of moose in about 40 days, most cows had twins shot the 37th bull I found (90 bull tags in that unit) Did my penalty yrs and built up points drew again after Babbit's wolves were there saw less than 10 moose in 2 weeks, 0 calves, shot the 2nd bull I saw (small). Wolf tracks on every trail, saw about as many wolves as moose.

Then the amusing part, met a federal wildlife guy and was doing some whining and he told me the wolves are too small to take a moose and it was all from some unknown virus. So now I realize that I was mistaken and the wolves had NOTHING to do with the fact of all the moose disappearing. You guys are dead wrong I have it on authority of the US gov't. WOLVES DO NOT EAT MOOSE... even if they find them dead from a virus.

Moose populations are declining in places that don't have wolves. Yes wolves eat them but there are other factors at play here. Lets not all jump right on the wolf bandwagon because it feels good.

When they brought these wolves from Canada to Wyoming it nailed the moose hard. A few moose now live on the riverbottoms down low to get away from the wolves.

Also looks like Minnesota is hurting to from the wolves

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom