ATV Gear/Set Up for Hunting

cgmoonsky

I recently inherited an ATV and I’ve not owned one before. I’m excited to get it out and get it ready for hunting this year. That said, what kind of emergency supplies, gear, set ups, rigs etc. do you have specifically for hunting with your ATV? I thought it’d be great to hear your thoughts and see some photos maybe…

a winch would be tops on my list.

later seasons, chains and hand heaters are nice as is a sled designed to be towed

otherwise a gun boot and saddle bags with some repair equip, real rope and tiedowns

I go over board: cable come along(no winch); a 25' strap; warm gloves; screw jack and lug wrench. buggie cords; socket set, pliers and adjustable wrench and emergency supplies to stay over night. I had a rear mounted lockable bin for all this.

Rather than Chains Get Some Mudders With 1-1/2"+ Tread Depth!

When You Can't Go Any Further With Them Tires,Chains Ain't Gonna Help!

Custom Built Gun Carrier & Don't Waste Your Money On Any Store Bought POFT Trash You Can Buy!

It’s hard to carry everything you need on an ATV and if you did there would be no room for you to drive the machine.
That being said if your not going deep you can always run back to the truck or camp.

I put this box on the back, and a smaller one on the front of my Hondas.

IMG_0780.png

Last edited:
A lot of good points on here. I personally did not want to add any large storage containers unless necessary. I have a Polaris Sportsman 850 with the Factory front storage box and small rear glove box and it is more than sufficient. I've also never really needed much after thousands of miles. I've actually needed it more for other people who were not prepared with anything!
That being said, a winch on the machine is cheap insurance, so is an extra at least 50 ft of line to get you further one way or another has helped me. It's amazing how 50 ft on the winch isn't very much when you're in a mud hole somewhere. I also switched everything out for synthetic rope. Also have a tree strap and snatch block, with a couple shackles. Sometimes I will bring a gallon of extra gas if we are going on a long trip and unsure of availability to refill.
Basic tools for stuff that is actually on the machine helps. I don't go overboard as there's not really much you can do on the side of the trail. I have four cheap ratchet straps, extra face mask for really dusty conditions, bug spray and suntan lotion, plug repair kit with about 10 little CO2 canisters. It took me three to fill a flat one day for another guy. About 20 foot long zip ties. First aid kit, 10 ft of quarter inch line for siphon hose, small roll of duct tape. I like to be prepared, but not overboard. Be honest with yourself, your abilities, and where you are going and what you are doing. Like others have said, good tires are a must. Go 8-ply.

A lot of good points on here. I personally did not want to add any large storage containers unless necessary. I have a Polaris Sportsman 850 with the Factory front storage box and small rear glove box and it is more than sufficient. I've also never really needed much after thousands of miles. I've actually needed it more for other people who were not prepared with anything!
That being said, a winch on the machine is cheap insurance, so is an extra at least 50 ft of line to get you further one way or another has helped me. It's amazing how 50 ft on the winch isn't very much when you're in a mud hole somewhere. I also switched everything out for synthetic rope. Also have a tree strap and snatch block, with a couple shackles. Sometimes I will bring a gallon of extra gas if we are going on a long trip and unsure of availability to refill.
Basic tools for stuff that is actually on the machine helps. I don't go overboard as there's not really much you can do on the side of the trail. I have four cheap ratchet straps, extra face mask for really dusty conditions, bug spray and suntan lotion, plug repair kit with about 10 little CO2 canisters. It took me three to fill a flat one day for another guy. About 20 foot long zip ties. First aid kit, 10 ft of quarter inch line for siphon hose, small roll of duct tape. I like to be prepared, but not overboard. Be honest with yourself, your abilities, and where you are going and what you are doing. Like others have said, good tires are a must. Go 8-ply.
Riding a Polaris you should carry a long tow strap, extra motor, and ride with a friend who owns a Honda so you can be pulled back to the truck. Just saying.

If you are getting ready to use it hunting an ATV gun scabbard is a must for me. I hate strapping my gun on my back and unlike Ridge, I'm really careful about where I go, so not worried about roll-overs. ;)

Here is my setup on my main atv. I do not use the scabbard any longer due to it bouncing around so much. I just strap my hard case to the front rack.
Front and rear storage boxes which contain
rope
tie downs
rain gear
extra gloves and beanie
hand warmers
first aid kit
pruning saw
knives
multitool
cheap air compressor
can of fix a flat
tire plug kit
small tool kit with extra spark plug
a few snacks and drinks
bug spray
and always... Bailing wire

I also have a 5500lb winch on front

On the back I also have 1gallon rotopax with water and one with extra gas.

I mainly use my atv for exploring and scouting and getting from camp to trail head quickly at 4am. With all this crap on it , there is no room for a animal.

Last edited:
I'll Argue With The Size Of The Storage Boxes!

The Bigger The Better!

You Gotta Wear Enough Clothing To Stay Warm!

When You Get To Your Destination To Start Hiking/Hunting You Gotta Shed Some Clothes!

You Also Gotta Keep Them Dry For The Ride Out!

I Just Shake My Head When I See Somebody On A Wheeler With A Gun On Their Back!

The reason I Bought My First Polaris Is The Gun Carrier They Use To Offer!

With A Few Mods It Ain't Going Anywhere!

The Rest Of What's On The Market Is F'N JUNK!

I Also Laugh When I See Guys That Have Strapped Guns On The Front Or Back With No Cases!

Won't Be Any Dust,Rain Or Snow In Them!:D

You Can Break Your Back On Other Brands Of Wheelers!

Or You Can Buy A Polaris & You Can Break It's Back!

I've Done Both!

Hey Polaris Doc?

You Seen Any Of The Stabilizer Support On The Back Of Polaris's Crack & Break?

Last edited:
If you are getting ready to use it hunting an ATV gun scabbard is a must for me. I hate strapping my gun on my back and unlike Ridge, I'm really careful about where I go, so not worried about roll-overs. ;)
I always bungie my pack to the front rack and then have my rifle in a soft case strapped to my pack. That has worked well for me.

Last edited:
Sorry Rick I agree with Ridge I don't trust putting those guns in those blenders. Lol

Custom Built Gun Carrier & Don't Waste Your Money On Any Store Bought POFT Trash You Can Buy!
For a man that brags about back country tun ups
You sound like a back country rider. 😆

Hey Polaris_Doc!

Glad You Chimed In Here!

I'm Not Just Thrashing POLARIS!

I/We Can Break Any Of Them Where We Ride In The Roughest Stuff Known To Man!

Just Posting Things That's Broke/Failed On The Vehicles I Own!

The Biggest Reason I Posted about The Stabilizer Is It Took Me A While To Figure Out What Was Going On?

Figured This Might Save Somebody Some Time?

Wasn't Trying To Make Anybody Mad!

We'll Be Glad To Have You Around Here!

I Need A POLARIS (And Every Other Brand!) Dr Once In A While!:D

No worries, you work on stuff long enough and you see a lot of things. The broken stabilizer link or bar can be hard to see at times with everything getting so buried these days. Last one I had was on a snowmobile that I started noticing didn't handle right and dipped down in the corners more. Sure enough snapped the stabilizer in half.

To me boxes are a must have, my cooler fits inside the back box, along with straps, rope, saw, axe, air compressor, tarp, Etc. Heavy and warmer clothes are dry inside the box when I get back to the bike. I use the gun boot, not the best but it works if I put my rifle in a soft case and then in the gun boot. Sometimes I strap a flat gas can on the front if going a long ways from camp.

Last edited:

What gun carrier system do you like?

I Bought My First Polaris in 2012!

Last Of The Carburetors! (Something I Can Work On & Fix!)

Kolpin Offered what Is A Heavy Duty RHINO Inner Scabbard For A Few Years & Then Went To Cheap Built Trash!

We Still Have A Few Of Them But They've Got Alot Of Wear & Tear On Them,Still SUPERIOR To Anything You Can Buy Today!

We Run The KOLPIN Hard Plastic Boots/Outer Case/Shell Which I Think Might Be Owned By POLARIS Now?

The Metal Gun Carrier Bracket Is Made By POLARIS & Is The LOCK & RIDE!

Where The LOCK & RIDE PLUNGER Plugged In To The Rear Rack Was Modified & Now Is Bolted To The Rear Rack!

My Son Took The Same Bracket & With Some Mods Made It Work On His YAMAHA Wheeler!

We Use A Few Extra BUNGEES/Brackets And We've Never Dumped A Rifle In The Rocks Since We Quit Using The Newer KOLPIN BUILT TRASH!

This Is A Stock POLARIS Set-Up/Pic Perty Much Like What We run Only Ours Have Been Modified!

2012 polaris gun boot.jpg

The Bracket Is Similar To This One:

polaris gun boot.jpg

We Also Have A NEWER POLARIS HUNT EDITION With The Stock Gun Carrier & I Can Guarantee You It Wouldn't Make One Trip Where We Ride Without Destroying It & Your Gun!

What gun carrier system do you like?

Last edited:
In all seriousness, I have 2 Yamaha Kodiaks and I have the old fashioned gun racks on the front. I bungee a soft case to the rack and slide my gun in and out from the end. Pretty easy access, keeps my gun padded and protected from the elements and it’s out of the way. Then I just bungee my pack on the front rack between the handlebars and gun. Works pretty well. Then I have the aftermarket seats for the back that have the storage compartments in them. I store tire repair stuff, bungees, rope, clothes, etc, etc… in there.

I would recommend a winch and tire plugs like have been mentioned. I keep some canned air for a tire or two. I like my setup with the plastic tote. Pre-pack, throw it on at the trailhead and go. On the way out, with a full camp and an entire bull is no problem.
IMG_6008.jpeg
IMG_1624.jpeg
IMG_1623.jpeg
I can get a bull, camp and all my gear out in one trip on my Grizzly. The plastic tote is great. Keeps things clean and dry. Pre-pack. Head to the trail head. Drop it on and go.

Rain suit, gloves, air Compressor and plug patch kit. Waterproof matches, chain saw or Sawzall with long saw blade, winch, strong rope, a few necessary tools. flashlight. Space blanket, phone battery bank. First Aid supplies. Hoody.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom