Austad's rifle

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I want to know about the rifle and cartridge Austad used on his hunt. I already know which bullet. Anybody know specs? mtmuley

I want to know about the rifle and cartridge Austad used on his hunt. I already know which bullet. Anybody know specs? mtmuley

Well i can't speak for Denny, but i have been on quite a few deer hunts with him and have seen his handy work.

Unless he has changed something, his "Austads" are Weatherby cases that have been stretched by shortening the long neck of the Norma brass to give him more powder capacity.
In short, they are Weatherby's on steroids. Lol
His .257 Austad has some scary ballistics, and i know his cartridges out shoot the Lazzeroni's.

Not sure what he killed Spider with, but he always used his .300 Austad when i was on the mountain with him.

I was totally shocked to hear he missed a shot on spider earlier on the hunt....Denny just doesn't miss. ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Well i can't speak for Denny, but i have been on quite a few deer hunts with him and have seen his handy work.

Unless he has changed something, his "Austads" are Weatherby cases that have been stretched by shortening the long neck of the Norma brass to give him more powder capacity.
In short, they are Weatherby's on steroids. Lol
His .257 Austad has some scary ballistics, and i know his cartridges out shoot the Lazzeroni's.

Not sure what he killed Spider with, but he always used his .300 Austad when i was on the mountain with him.

I was totally shocked to hear he missed a shot on spider earlier on the hunt....Denny just doesn't miss. ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

How do you AI A Weatherby?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

How do you AI A Weatherby?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]I have no idea, LOL! By improving an already improved!

I'm just meant that was kind of how it sounded from slamdunk's description.

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-09 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]I have no idea, LOL! By improving an already improved!

I'm just meant that was kind of how it sounded from slamdunk's description.

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

CS...i totally agree, i am a huge weatherby fan myself and am fixing up one of my .300 wby's to be a long range killing machine.

What denny was doing was making the case capacity a little better and puting his own shoulder on it.
Hence...."Austad Improved" Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

CS...i totally agree, i am a huge weatherby fan myself and am fixing up one of my .300 wby's to be a long range killing machine.

What denny was doing was making the case capacity a little better and puting his own shoulder on it.
Hence...."Austad Improved" Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I have some "hardway improved" cases layin around if anyones interested. I create them by getting too much lube on the shoulders. Makes neat little dimples on the shoulder.

I have some "hardway improved" cases layin around if anyones interested. I create them by getting too much lube on the shoulders. Makes neat little dimples on the shoulder.

I saw some pictures of his cartridges, and suspected a Weatherby case. Any idea of velocities or powder capacity? mtmuley

I saw some pictures of his cartridges, and suspected a Weatherby case. Any idea of velocities or powder capacity? mtmuley

I'm having a tough time seeing an improved Weatherby outshooting a Lazzeroni. Seems it just wouldn't have the capacity that the Warbird has, seeing that its a larger diameter. Lots of people claim to hit 3500 with a 180 out of other guns, but the Warbird is the only I have ever seen do it over a chrony with a 26" barrel.

I'm having a tough time seeing an improved Weatherby outshooting a Lazzeroni. Seems it just wouldn't have the capacity that the Warbird has, seeing that its a larger diameter. Lots of people claim to hit 3500 with a 180 out of other guns, but the Warbird is the only I have ever seen do it over a chrony with a 26" barrel.

Wildcatters like to play. Surprising even with the huge cases some build with its not always about being a speed freak. Just something different.

Wildcatters like to play. Surprising even with the huge cases some build with its not always about being a speed freak. Just something different.

It has been at least 6 or so years since i was last with Denny, but his .300 was NOT the .378 case at that time....very well could be now. He did mention he was working on his own version of a .30-378.
He also had a "7MM Austad" that if i'm thinking correctly, was the .300 case necked down to .284 instead of the shorter 7mm wby mag case.
Again, neck shortened, case stretched and Weatherby's famous rounded shoulder more tapered to his own personal specs.
As far as i know, Denny is still part of Barnes Bullets pro staff and shoots their bullets exclusively.
Denny also has his own underground tunnel where he tests and crony's everything so it gives more accurate readings than an outdoors enviroment.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

It has been at least 6 or so years since i was last with Denny, but his .300 was NOT the .378 case at that time....very well could be now. He did mention he was working on his own version of a .30-378.
He also had a "7MM Austad" that if i'm thinking correctly, was the .300 case necked down to .284 instead of the shorter 7mm wby mag case.
Again, neck shortened, case stretched and Weatherby's famous rounded shoulder more tapered to his own personal specs.
As far as i know, Denny is still part of Barnes Bullets pro staff and shoots their bullets exclusively.
Denny also has his own underground tunnel where he tests and crony's everything so it gives more accurate readings than an outdoors enviroment.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Tony: I shoot a 300 Ackley Improved constructed by my father. For whatever reason, it is equipped with a 22 inch barrel. Our handloads out of the 22 inch barrel with a 180 chrony at 3350. I suspect that if we installed a 26 inch barrel and played with the loads a bit, we could approach 3500. I doubt we could quite get there, though.

Tony: I shoot a 300 Ackley Improved constructed by my father. For whatever reason, it is equipped with a 22 inch barrel. Our handloads out of the 22 inch barrel with a 180 chrony at 3350. I suspect that if we installed a 26 inch barrel and played with the loads a bit, we could approach 3500. I doubt we could quite get there, though.

I'm fairly sure he has to be using conventional cases and powder. I'd just like to know which ones. Wonder if he's ever toyed with a RUM? mtmuley

I'm fairly sure he has to be using conventional cases and powder. I'd just like to know which ones. Wonder if he's ever toyed with a RUM? mtmuley

Here you go guys... 300 Austad II

http://www.clymersultra.com/clymer_ultra_015.htm

"Denny Austad & the Spider Bull
Utah HomeEventsLinksContact UsOn the morning of Tuesday, September 30th, Doyle Moss and Team Mossback put Denny in the right place at the right time to take this magnificent trophy. He was shooting a .300 Austad II, a cartridge of his own design, loaded with 168-grain Tipped TSX?s. A quartering shot with the bullet placed slightly forward of the shoulder at just under 200 yards penetrated the length of the body, destroying both lungs and liver, anchoring the bull immediately."

Here you go guys... 300 Austad II

"Denny Austad & the Spider Bull
Utah HomeEventsLinksContact UsOn the morning of Tuesday, September 30th, Doyle Moss and Team Mossback put Denny in the right place at the right time to take this magnificent trophy. He was shooting a .300 Austad II, a cartridge of his own design, loaded with 168-grain Tipped TSX?s. A quartering shot with the bullet placed slightly forward of the shoulder at just under 200 yards penetrated the length of the body, destroying both lungs and liver, anchoring the bull immediately."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom