AZ 24A Muzzleloader deer

azpredator

I've got a any antlered muzzleloader deer tag in 24A this year. I'm leaning toward concentrating on mulies but would be delighted to score on a nice coues as well. I've hunted javalina in some of the southern portions of the unit near Winkleman several years ago, but am not real familiar with the northern areas of the unit. I'm looking for any imput on some good areas to start scouting. Planning on gettin 2 or 3 scouting weekends in before the late Oct early Nov. hunt. Would sure appreciate some pointers, I'm not adverse to wearing out the shoe leather,matter of fact I prefer it. Thanks.

Just found this post. I grew up around there and have killed many coues in 24A. A couple areas you might try are Seven Mile Wash off of Highway 60 north of Globe. This is the smaller portion of 24A. Area holds some big bucks. You'll need to get way off the road because it is well traveled. Also try the north side of the Pinals just south of Globe. Take the road into Six Shooter Canyon. It goes all the way to the summit (when it is open). It is extremely thick but that's what they like. I wouldn't suggest going into the pines at the top of the Pinals. There are deer in there but it is usually dry and they are very difficult to find. Spend most of your time behind your binoculars. That is the only way. Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply, I'd given up on hearing anything from this post. Since I posted I've been up scouting a couple of times. I've been in the Seven mile wash area {via rd 303} I heard it does get alot of traffic. But it does look good. I didnt scout much in the southern part of the unit although I have hunted javalina in some parts of it. Since the hunt starts Friday I probably wont get another scouting trip in,up til now I've kinda planned on sticking to the northern portion of the unit. But if I head south I'll definitely head for Six Shooter canyon. Did you tend to prefer the north over the south or vica versa?

I prefer the north, but have had luck in both areas. If seven mile wash is too busy (good chance it will be) try similar looking areas south of there before you drop down the hills into Globe. Again just get on the ridges and glass, glass, and then do some glassing. They are in there. I've rarely run into hunters when I just pull off the highway and hike in. It's a lot more hiking, but you will find deer. Good luck, and let me know how you do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom