AZ Late Rifle Elk

Bonehuntr

Just received a tag for my very first elk hunt and I am stoked! I'm pretty familiar with the area as I've done archery deer there several times. Any general tips you can offer a first-timer? Just want to avoid any common pitfalls.

I drew a 7W tag. I'm trying to decide whether to focus on the higher altitude pine areas or the lower pi?on juniper areas. I'm guessing some of it will depend on how early and how much snow there is.

Personally, I would focus on the lower elevation knobs and hills. The higher elevations do hold elk for sure but in lower numbers. There are some huge bulls in 7W. However, they are notorious for knowing how to hide after the rut. One common pitfall, hunting water in that late rifle season.

Lower if there is snow.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Weather is going to play a big roll that time of year! The elk usually will hold out until heavy snows push them down. Arizona doesnt?t get severe winters compared to other western states. The elk are usuallly thru out the units in AZ. Scouting right before the season starts is your best bet, as the elk will move around. Good luck I have late rifle as well in unit 8.

Elk are big animals. Have a plan in place to get it packed out well before the hunt arrives. Being in top physical shape and having friends will make the pack out much more enjoyable if you kill an elk very far from a road.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom