AZ OTC Elk Help

gabe2hunt

Anyone out there ever try any of the OTC Archery Recon area or Winslow-Holbrook hunt areas for elk? Seems like a long shot but might give it a shot. Thanks

hello there fellow hunter! i have a otc tag along with my cousin and we concentrated in the verde valley area. it is a fun and optomistic hunt! we have talked to several locals who tell us that they see herds in their backyards on a regular basis. a farmer in town has even went as far a putting up an eletric fence around his land to keep the elk out from getting to his crops during harvesting season. at points it seemed like we were on to them with fresh sign and droppings but the herd have managed to elude us everytime. as for your question on the winslow/holbrook area, i havent hunted in the area but am somewhat familar with the terrain. ive heard of some success stories of elk being harvested out of the diablo canyon area! dont think that it is a long shot, you have to be persistant and optomistic and good things will happen for you! there are definately a few herds roaming the area, its just a matter of spotting them. i wish u the best of luck!

Thanks for the encouragement. Not too stoked every local in Pinetop and Showlow were I live hammer Territory road. Guess You just have to be in the right place at the right time! I wanted to put in for the Navajo north of Diablo area but they only gave 1 tag to tribal members this year at $300. Had several for $5000 with mandatory guide for that same area for nonmembers. The NN turning like everyone else looking for a payday!

so u live in the pinetop area? beautiful country!! my cousin got drawn for bull elk in unit 4a the day after thanksgiving, im going to do my best to put him on a bull! any tips on which area to concentrate on?

I had an archery tag in there 5 or so years ago. Everything changes with the rut! But look to areas with deep canyons. In Nov bulls may be near the edges in early mornings then head deep to bed. Might start your scouting South of Winslow if you have time. I didn't spend anytime up high during my hunt! Stayed in the low cedars the whole hunt. Ate tag soup that year but had a lot of fun and saw lots of bulls in the 300+ range. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! i will definately try your advice. Now when you say the area south of winslow are you refering to the Dry Lake area? ive heard its like a firing squad out there opening morning! Honestly im just looking forward to being out in beautiful country with family and friends! if we tag out then thats just icing on the cake! thanks again brother

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom