AZ STRIP UPDATE !!!!!

AZMIGHTYMULIES

My fiance and I had spent the past 4 days on 13A and 13B .... all 4 days had received a substantial amount of rain due too this early monsoon weather !!!! Most of the ponds that are generally dry at this time of year have got a lot of water in them . For those individuals who attain a tag in either one of these units , are going to be lucky tag holders once again , the antler growth is looking awesome again this year as we encountered many bucks that are very promising too make any hunter happy !!!

Click on my email addy next to my name and send them to me so I can put them up on the thread for you.

Here ya go!

250a2_deer.jpg

4805a45_buck.jpg

5767a45.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-11 AT 10:18PM (MST)[p]AZMighty.......your post is completely contradictory and is telling.

The reason the tanks weren't filled until last week is cuz there hasn't been any moisture late winter thru spring in order to fill those tanks up. More importantly......there hasn't been enough during April/May/June to produce good growth leaders on the classic feed shrubbery such as Cliffrose and Desert Holly and such. This moisture is 2 months too late? It's another drought year on the Strip!! Not good for antler growth!!

The moisture that you noticed lately that filled the tanks is too late to produce great quality feed which in turn produces great quality antlers. A simple drink doesn't assist antler growth.........the feed resulting from a wet spring does. The bucks are very near the end of their growth as of this date.

I live 150 miles as the crow flies from 13A and 13B........and it's disastrously dry for good antler growth here this year. I'm very glad I didn't burn my 15 elk points on an early rifle bull in unit 10 this year.

WM---I understand the basics of what you posted, but he is saying he saw bucks with what he considered good horn growth for early July. Don't bucks have at least six weeks of antler growth left yet?

I have personally visited over 80 water catchments this summer and all were full !!!! So Idk what area you're in or what you're talking about . As for the feed is concerned , it's been blooming all year . Just prior to the monsoon weather , things were starting to dry up but was looking good !!! Now it's really looking good. The antler growth was also really looking good !!! FYI ... I don't hunt , I'm a photographer and my wife is a wildlife biologist . I volunteer my time w/ AZG&F and help maintain all water catchments if there are ant issues w/ them that need to be addressed . And antler growth , well they still have almost 2 months of growing to do ......roughly .

I'm calling BS on your opinions, MIGHTY.

It was a terribly light winter in this area plus non-existent March/April/May moisture.......which is the most important for growing feed for the year. This is a rough, drought year! I was here!!!

The monsoons just started a week or so ago. This is not early....it's late. Bucks will reach their peak growth within the next month.......and most peak by the end of July. While they may still look big in yer eyes......they are by no means at their best.

Although you may perceive this year as "things are blooming"....this is overall a 15+ year drought and your idea of "normal moisture" may be........" horrific drought".

One more thing MIGHTY. Yer wife's bigshot degree doesn't trump my knowledge based on 35 years or hunting the west and studying and whacking big 'ol muleys.

Seems too me , WM needs another 35 + years under his belt to understand anything environmental . The Arizona Strip and southern Utah received damn near 400% precipitation this past winter . IDK where the heck WM has been, but it sure wasn't on the ARizona Strip .

Ya, sure , certainly ..... LOL . Gotta love this site . so many diffrent opinions makes it all the more interesting , does it not ???????? LOL

I thought lefty1 had hit the nail right on the head and after the last two posts by WM I know for sure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p]http://arizonastripbucks.blogspot.com/

Take a look at this link that I just found regarding the Strip on a quick search regarding moisture and big bucks. Every guy that made an entry has mentioned exactly what AZMM mentioned and that is the tremendous amount of moisture the Strip has had for the last six months and how great the vegetation looks, as well as big bucks that are being spotted. So to WM I call BS on your posts Mr Expert!!!

TG,

Didn't spend much time looking at it......but yer link looks like it was all about outfitters and guides.......who stand to make more money on false wet years by hyping things. An outfitter's income comes first....the truth second. Nuff said.

I live close by The Strip. I know what the facts is......

Here is another quick report on northern AZ weather I pulled of a blog a guy does. It's for the first part of winter and the guy has nothing to do with a hunting website. Looks like that blows your last post all to he** about a continued drought up there!!!

Quick Look at February

Monthly Review, Northern Arizona Weather1 Response ?.

Mar 022011

For Flagstaff, and most of Arizona, February was a cold, cold month. Compared to the 30 year average from 1971-2001, Flagstaff?s temperature was 4.4 degrees below average. That makes it the 27th coldest winter on record since they started keeping records in 1898. Even that one Beautiful weekend wasn?t able to pull us out.

I think the excessive cold weather helped drive our precipitation in the month. We were 0.69 inches above average. This makes last month the 18th wettest February on record. A cold wet month!

If you look at December ? February, we are 0.34 inches above average. I think this makes it pretty clear that I, and just about everyone else, missed the precipitation forecast for the winter. March is still forecasted to be warm and dry. We'll see. I'll post more details some time soon.

TG,

This last winter had about 70" of snow. Winter 09/10 had 144". The 30-year average is about 100".

Kiss mine. This wasn't exactly Pinedale last winter.

I saw something strange the other day that might explain a little of this difference of opinon. If I can find it, I'll post it.

It was a snow level chart of Colorado. There was a line about mid-way down the state, maybe south of mid way.

The top area in CO. had 1000 percent of normal snow pack. The most southern area had 50 percent of normal.

I thought it extremely strange for such a difference, since normal is normal for the particular area, it just seemed strange.

Possible a similar diffence occured in the 150 miles from the strip to WM's local?

Let me see here if I have been reading the news correctly these last couple months.

The Southwest is having record drought this year including much of Tejas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Arizona just had it's largest forest fire ever (The Wallow Fire) plus a couple others in the top 10........and almost 1 million acres burned. Campfire bans and all.

Yep.......definitely record moisture here this year.

Them Strip bucks will ALL score 220" or better this fall........250+ if you ask the outfitters and magazine owners......who can't afford to miss a booking or two without having to go get an honest job and actually work for a living............

Have you been out to unit 10 or the strip and looked at the animals this spring/summer WM? I have to say the animals are looking phenomenal. I understand where you are coming from about the shortage in rainfall this spring, but the late hurricane we got in oct/nov 2010 really helped the animals get through a dryer spring. There have been some timely storms and the drought is worse in some spots then others like eastern AZ, but I can assure you that you would wish you had a unit 10 early rifle tag... Lots of huge bulls (380+++) The western side of the state has faired the drought just fine this year.

I'm not here to start an arguement just going to post some facts. Parts of Arizona may be dry this year, but it's mostly eastern Arizona suffering. Mid March Winslow was at 57% of it's annual precipitation which is way below normal. Everywhere east of Flagstaff was in a slight to extreme drought. From about Flagstaff west conditions were pretty normal or above normal. Flagstaff was 20" below on snowfall, but at 102% rainfall precipitation in March. To the northwest precipitation was looking even better and some parts were at 113% and above. Northern Arizona received some timely late snows this year in April which may help. It will be very hard to beat last years antler growth on the strip but I don't think it will suffer to much this year.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 12:13PM (MST)[p]>TG,
>
>This last winter had about 70"
>of snow. Winter 09/10
>had 144". The 30-year
>average is about 100".
>
>Kiss mine. This wasn't exactly
>Pinedale last winter.

I hate to jump in, and i normally stay out of these deals , but this whiskyman is TOTAL JACKA--. The strip has been getting pounded with rain off and on since april. i dont care where you live whiskydrinker, and oh ya you should lay off the whisky and pull your head out of the bottle. maybe your cross eyed drunken stuper has clouded your judgement. I have talked to enough people who are up there and live up there and spend more time looking at the strip than you probably spend drinking your wisky and trying to act like a know it all jacka--.When you jump up on your high horse about all your big mulies you have killed calm down, lots of people on here have just as many if not more than you have(over 200) but we choose not to blow our horns about it. You are boyh blind and obvoiusly dont know how to read cause the strip recieved more rain than anywhere in the state and more than a 100 percent of its rainfall totals. As for unit 10, you are an idoit for not putting in this yeart cause the horn growth is amazing this year up thre. Go throw your miss guided facts somewhere else.

Thanks CraigS for the info and for your qoute"why are we arguing about this". There is no reason to argue, but its frustrating when the original poster just wanted to post his opinion and pics, and you get a know everything kind of guy like whiskyman join in. Then he goes from joining in to attacking anyone who has a diff opinion. Azmighty was just doing us all a favor in sharing his opinion(correct by the way) and pics and of course whiskydrinker has to set everyone straight with his misguided knowledge and attacks. Whisky man arent you the dude that caused all the trouble on coueswhitetail.com? Do us all a favor and just stand in your room and yell at the miror for a while, so we dont have to listen to your rants on here(take it out on yourself instead of others).Thanks arizonamighty for your post and i apologise for whisky mans drunken rant. We could all get along alot better on here without all the wonderful insightful posts by whiskydrinker.

When we are talking weather 150 miles makes one heck of a difference going N/S or E/W. Here where I am in souttwestern Michigan we get 80-100" snow in a normal winter. You go up to my cabin 150-160 miles north of here and the average winter is 160-180", with 200" every few years. In other words, that 150-160 mile difference going north doubles the precipitation expectation. I'm going no further in this discussion with WM because everything I have looked up on the net pertaining to northen AZ shows the same thing and that is for the last six months it is above average precipitation totals.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 11:50AM (MST)[p]Here is a link to the preview version & you can view this spread for FREE:

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=73347

We are not weather experts, but we are weather NUTS & we base everything on facts.

Sometimes we can all get caught up in the bickering, I am not perfect, it just gets old after awhile & doing what I do I see it a lot. Sometimes it seems like the days of shaking hands when the other guy filled his tag is over.

Makes you really question if the hunting community will be around in the next 20-30 years...

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11
>AT 11:50?AM (MST)

>
>Here is a link to the
>preview version & you can
>view this spread for FREE:
>
>
>http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=73347
>
>We are not weather experts, but
>we are weather NUTS &
>we base everything on facts.
>
>
>Sometimes we can all get caught
>up in the bickering, I
>am not perfect, it just
>gets old after awhile &
>doing what I do I
>see it a lot.
>Sometimes it seems like the
>days of shaking hands when
>the other guy filled his
>tag is over.
>
>Makes you really question if the
>hunting community will be around
>in the next 20-30 years...
>

Well put CraigS. I am guilty in joining in on the bickering. I didnt join this hunting site to argue, but to appreciate what other hunters had to say so that i might learn even more about hunting in general. I will say i was reluctant though as there are always a few trouble makers that seem to steal the fun and excitement of talking to my fellow comrads(fellow hunters). It seems we(hunters) sometimes have a better time attacking other hunters for some reason. i wish we could all just enjoy the insights of others (wrong or right) so we could have more fruotful conversations about hunting rather than have to ward off attacks by people like whiskyman. I and most of the people on this site and others are hear to have fun, not argue. I love seeing another guy kill bigger and better animals than me, and i have learned its not about what you can get but what you can give. I hope everyone on here kills a bigger animal than me this year. I have been reading whiskydrinkers posts for some time now, and they are almost always arguementative in nature. There is no room for jeolusy or all the negativity on here when we as hunters should care about each other and our respective opinions.

Well put guys and I couldn't agree more. Why can't WM behave or just go in a corner somewhere and drink himself to death!

>Let me see here if I
>have been reading the news
>correctly these last couple months.
>
>
>The Southwest is having record drought
>this year including much of
>Tejas, New Mexico, and Arizona.
>
>
>Arizona just had it's largest forest
>fire ever (The Wallow Fire)
>plus a couple others in
>the top 10........and almost 1
>million acres burned. Campfire
>bans and all.
>
>Yep.......definitely record moisture here this year.
>
>
>Them Strip bucks will ALL score
>220" or better this fall........250+
>if you ask the outfitters
>and magazine owners......who can't afford
>to miss a booking or
>two without having to go
>get an honest job and
>actually work for a living............
>
One more reply to this one about guides getting a real job. I have been a guide off and on for 15 years, even though it wasnt my only source of income. I take offense to you saying that guiding is easy or isnt somehow a real job. Being away from friends and family is hard work in itself. Standing out in the rain or getting sun baked day after day isnt fun at all. After a 120 day straight season dealing with everything that mother nature has to offer and breaking trucks, quads,binos, and everything else that breaks isnt fun either. Believe me after 30 or 40 days in the field, hunting is a chore more than fun sometimes, especially if you have clients that dont understand this stuff, and how physically demanding it is. Whiskeydrinker, you throw more knives than you have in your belt. It also makes me know that in your "incredile" 35 year career you didnt learn that much about anything at all. Guiding is nothing but fun for the first 30 days of the season but after that it is also work with fun on the side. Whiskeydrunkerd please do us all a favor and start your own hunting site so we can have our monstermuleys in peace(i promise we will all stay off your site, and you can be large and in charge, and we wont argue with you anymore,please,please)

"Whiskeydrunkerd please do us all a favor and start your own hunting site so we can have our monstermuleys in peace(i promise we will all stay off your site, and you can be large and in charge, and we wont argue with you anymore,please,please)"

I second that suggestion!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 09:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 08:56?PM (MST)

couesmagnet,

The only attacker on this thread is you, dude! Get a load of yerself, would ya!! All with your grand total of 11 posts! Your initial posts are policing ones and not contributing ones.......some nerve.....WTF??? I remember you from CW.com........the self-appointed site police......who contribute nothing ever worth reading.......and drive the forum into the deep dark depths of suicidal boredom.......and then discredit those who have a resume cuz you don't. Go back home, cm, as I was on this forum looooooong before you and have contributed major info and entertainment here......and have credibility as a result. The volume of PM's I receive here substantiates this. You haven't, and are never capable of doing so. Sheeeesh.

I live in the area described here and spend much time in the hills around here......and I have a tremendous resume from all over the west. And I get to give my opinions here same as everybody else.

Go back to cw.com and the plethora of "happy birthday" and "baby boy names" threads. Really.

My take on the only portion of your numerous threads worth reading and debating.......is that you are a unit 10 elk outfitter/guide.........who is short on bookings this year. Woooooooowwwww....a 380" bull who for everyone who books with you.......in spite of a poor moisture year........woooohoooo......please leave you a BIG tip.......

TG......I thought you and I were back to speaking terms again. I'm hurt, dude. I also thought you are from Wyoming......not Wisconsin........given your continual, all-knowing, expert posts about allllll hunting in Wyoming. I REALLY considered you the MM.com Wyoming expert.......I'm terribly disappointed.......

Sounds like we should all should just agree to disagree on this topic, cuz I stand my ground.

One more thing......in order to not be a hypocrite and to stick with my "contributory" forum philosophy. Here is my AZ Strip buck. Please post yours, gentlemen.

36861994_strip_buck_2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 09:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 09:30?PM (MST)

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11
>AT 08:56?PM (MST)

>
>couesmagnet,
>
>The only attacker on this thread
>is you, dude! Get
>a load of yerself, would
>ya!! All with your
>grand total of 11 posts!
> Your initial posts are
>policing ones and not contributing
>ones.......some nerve.....WTF??? I remember
>you from CW.com........the self-appointed site
>police......who contribute nothing ever worth
>reading.......and drive the forum into
>the deep dark depths of
>suicidal boredom.......and then discredit those
>who have a resume cuz
>you don't. Go back
>home, cm, as I was
>on this forum looooooong before
>you and have contributed major
>info and entertainment here......and have
>credibility as a result.
>The volume of PM's I
>receive here substantiates this.
>You haven't, and are never
>capable of doing so.
>Sheeeesh.
>
>I live in the area described
>here and spend much time
>in the hills around here......and
>I have a tremendous resume
>from all over the west.
> And I get to
>give my opinions here same
>as everybody else.
>
>Go back to cw.com and the
>plethora of "happy birthday" and
>"baby boy names" threads.
>Really.
>
>My take on the only portion
>of your numerous threads worth
>reading and debating.......is that you
>are a unit 10 elk
>outfitter/guide.........who is short on bookings
>this year. Woooooooowwwww....a 380"
>bull who for everyone who
>books with you.......in spite of
>a poor moisture year........woooohoooo......please leave
>you a BIG tip.......
>
>TG......I thought you and I were
>back to speaking terms again.
> I'm hurt, dude.
>I also thought you are
>from Wyoming......not Wisconsin........given your continual,
>all-knowing, expert posts about allllll
>hunting in Wyoming. I
>REALLY considered you the MM.com
>Wyoming expert.......I'm terribly disappointed.......
>
>Sounds like we should all should
>just agree to disagree on
>this topic, cuz I stand
>my ground.
Spare me whisky, a spade is a spade. You know that you attack people at will and did so with most of your posts. My point has nothing to do with your defense, and that is your problem. You will never understand what and how you reply to people is derogatory in nature. All the original poster wanted to do was share and you had to go ahead and "call b.s, and compare your almighty outdoor degree with her hard earned degree. Secondly you have to guides, what else are you going to attack. People like you eat drama for breakfast, so i am going to back out of this with you cause you will never understand what i am trying to say. By the way i have never guided in unit 10 and might not ever do so. I also dont guide in the strip and never have. I dont have to have lots of posts to have whatever "credit" means, but i do know it didnt take long to call a spade a spade. JUST TRY BEING A LITTLE NICER TO PEOPLE , AND THIS KIND OF DRAMA WILL QUIT FOLLOWING YOU. Guys with "credit dont have to talk about how much they have, they get it thru treating people with respect, period. This is my last response, i forfit to whisky, he wins. By the way whisky that is a dandy buck you shot(i would shoot him any day on any tag), congrats to you. I have a good old kaibab buck much bigger than that, or maybe two. Over and out with ya whisky.

Thank you. Your concession is accepted and hereby acknowledged. You have hereby gained substantial respect from me.

I also concede........I'm definitely a spade. A GREAT BIG one. In fact, a great big.......QUALIFIED one. And a very mean, people-hating person and hunter. Maybe that's why I confine my interacting with others to the net???

I wasn't trying to belittle her degree......just his throwing that out there in order to artificially bolster his opinion. I thought that totally pathetic. He is a man and needs to stand up and debate and justify for himself. I thought his maneuver was totally pathetic, and telling. I hope I am completely wrong about my impression of him after his maneuver.

FYI.......my engineering degree came especially hard-earned too, cm. I'm not envious of others just cuz they cowboyed up and I didn't.......

>Thank you. Your concession is
>accepted and hereby acknowledged.
>You have hereby gained substantial
>respect from me.
>
>I also concede........I'm definitely a spade.
> A GREAT BIG one.
> In fact, a great
>big.......QUALIFIED one. And a
>very mean, people-hating person and
>hunter. Maybe that's why
>I confine my interacting with
>others to the net???
>
>I wasn't trying to belittle her
>degree......just his throwing that out
>there in order to artificially
>bolster his opinion. I
>thought that totally pathetic.
>He is a man and
>needs to stand up and
>debate and justify for himself.
> I thought his maneuver
>was totally pathetic, and telling.
> I hope I am
>completely wrong about my impression
>of him after his maneuver.
>
>
>FYI.......my engineering degree came especially hard-earned
>too, cm. I'm not
>envious of others just cuz
>they cowboyed up and I
>didn't.......
Its all good whisky, i dont want enemies on here either, and thanks for your concessions. I will say though if my wife was a wildlife biologist, i would stand behind her knowledge in front of my hunting knowledge. Just because she is a women doesnt mean she doesnt have the best opinion of all of us. I dont think the dude was trying to throw his wife into any fire. I would love to have heard her opinion and his about everything they saw. Water under the bridge , lets just get along and support each other, cause times are hard enough right now for everyone.Good luck to all this year.

AMEN & ALLELUIA!!! P
PS: Whiskeyman---I live in southwestern Michigan, but call Wyoming my second home.

Just got back from 13b. It is real dry. Some of the roads are like driving in snow but its 3 inches of dust. Most of the dirt tanks we checked were bone dry. Only one of the trick tanks were dry. Saw one monster buck and one that was 180 type buck and a few nice younger bucks. One rattle snake and 2 lion tracks that might have been same cat. Hope to have pics to post when we check cameras next week. Rained a bit while there but not enough to do much.

Most of the dirt tanks or ponds or man made resevoire's will be dry on 13B . But ya at this time of year things dry up very quickly and that 3 inch dust on the road makes ya feel you're floating sometimes . 13A seemed to get the brunt of the monsoon storms . For the next 5 days we are suppose to get a lot more storms rolling in .

13B has had ample amount of rain not as much precipitation as 13A , but enough to keep the water catchments full and the vegetation or forbes in great shape . The ponds dry up quickly . As we speak, 13A and 13B have got thunderstorms and there will be a series of monsoon storms ripping through these units for the next 5 days .

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom