Bad stories with grim reapers

M

monarchtaxidermy

Hey I would love to hear any stories on Grim Reaper Broadheads. I drew my limited entry elk after 13 years and I want to know if i can trust with it on an elk. has Anyone shot an elk or I would love if there are any bad stories with grim reapers. please share your experience on large animals with this broadhead. Thanks

I shot my elk 3 years ago with Grim Reapers. No problems what so ever. In fact, I will always shoot them. I've got nothing but good to say about them.

Shot a spike x 3 at 19 yds in 2004 with a grim reaper head. Put the arrow right in the boiler room and it only penetrated about 10". I gave the bull 1.5 hours before starting to look for it. The arrow kicked out about 30 yds down the blood trail, and we lost blood about another 100 yds past that. We had 5 people searching for close to 6 hours (until dark) and never found him.
I quit shoooting reapers that day.
I am a mechanical fan however and have taken 1 elk with a rocket steelhead, and two elk with a G5 Tekan. This year I am going to try out the G5 T3.
Hope this helps make your decision easy.

}}-SLIVER-->

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-10 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]I have been shooting Grim Reapers now for 3 years and have had great luck! I have taken a few Elk with the Hades model. I recently switched over to the Razor Tip and enjoy them as well... They both leave great blood trails and are very durable. I think it all depends on the shot placement, but Grim Reapors seem to leave some awesome blood trails!!!

I have taken two six point mature bulls, three decent muleys, and my first archery antelope with grim reaper hades. That being said, I almost lost the antelope because I chose to try the mechanical grim reaper on it. The antelope was quartering away, and the broadhead didn't penetrate, just zipped his right side open about 18". Thankfully, I was able to track him, and finish him with a Hades. All the other animals fell and died within my sight. IMO the Hades is awesome, and the mechanicals are great for small game and shooting prairie dogs, but I will never again shoot them for big game.

Jbo

Three years ago I switched to the Grim Reaper razortip mechanical (not to be confused with razorcut). All of my experience with the broadhead has been very positive. In that time I have only shot the broadheads at big game animals twice and I have two kills to show for it. Both were mature 5point bull elk, one was shot at 22 yards the other at 37 yards. Both animals went down within 100 yards of the hit and the blood trails were exceptional. During practice the broadheads will group with field tips at all yardages that I have tested out to 100+. Hope this helps.

I switched to grim reapers for one year. Had the chance of a lifetime on a huge non typ whitetail. The buck jumped my string I ended up hammering his shoulder. No break, no penetration, no buck. I have busted through whitetail shoulders before with my spitfires. I still believe they are a great broadhead, and it just was unlucky circumstance for me, i'm superstitious so I stick to my Spitfires again.

I have shot the 100 grain Razortip for 3 seasons now. Although I have yet to take an elk with the razortip I have shot 2 mule deer bucks, a warthog, red heartabeast, springbuck all with one shot kills. I have not had anything bad happen but shooting a mechanical in the right spot on the animal is critical. IMO you need to pull enough weight and be able to shoot well under pressure. For me the mechanical gives me better accuracy and confidence. Fixed blades are maybe a better fit for elk and maybe a little more forgiving as far as blood trails with the cut on contact. That may be the route for your big bull.. Hades may be the right fit not sure but....either way, Hope to see some good pictures this fall!

I have killed two mature 6x6 bulls, antelope, and a javelina with them. I like them alot. The last bull i killed didn't have a very good blood trail. i think i hit him a hair far back though. I am going to try the razor cuts and rage broadheads to see if either would make a difference in penetration and better holes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom