BEAR MEAT ?????

Ate it several times!

I cooked mine!

And not with the Sun on a Rock!:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I was excited to try the bear I killed, cooked it up and first bite bout made me puke. Gave the rest to the dogs and it plugged their ass up!

Snort swears by it.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I like bear roast. I've also had some good stir-fry bear w/garlic sauce. Unless they've been feeding on fish, it's not bad. I cook all my meat pretty thoroughly.

Ate mine and I recommend two things.

Don't hunt them right after they come out of hiberneation. Instead of urinating all winter, they store it up in their body, so right after hibernation they taste like urine! Brother killed one like that one time, NASTY!

The one I got in June had fattened up and was good eating. BUT, as stated, only eat bear that is cooked WELL DONE. Just like pork that can have trich, cooking kills it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thats a question i keep asking myself. What to do with the meat after i harvest a bear? I've ate some and it weren't the best, matter of fact the meat was greasy and plain nasty. And i am the type that like eating my game. Dunno what to do...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

It was given to me by a friend .Eastern Black Bear ,harvested last year in P.A.I personally cooked it.Mixed ground with chopped loin in what seemed to be an awesome bowl of chili.Prior to cooking ,the meat didnt smell ,actually had a very mild smell .Tasted great ,and by the way ,yes I cooked it very well done ,rinsed before adding it to the chili and cooked it some more .5 days later ,I have decided ,I dont like bear meat.Trichonosis sucks as well .

Nothing worse than bear meat or should I say bear grease. I doubt my dogs would touch it.

Have a friend that thinks bear sausage is the greatest.

My bear was much better than I would have imagined. I harvested it in October for whatever difference that may have made. It was a little grisly, but we did Hot Italian and Chorizo mixes and they made some good grub. The wildest meal we had with it was bear chorizo w/ emu eggs! Made a good turd!

The first bear I killed was delicious. I learned to trim ALL the fat off of it before cooking it, as that was the most vile thing I've ever tasted. The meat itself was great. The second bear I killed was from Alaska. He was covered in blue berries, and I looked forward to eating it. GAMEY! Too much for the kids and wife. I was going to try it again, but after Snorts ordeal, it's still sitting in the freezer, I'm scared to touch it.

Bucksnorts ordeal and others makes me wonder if its worth it.

I had the back straps in a red sauce once that was real good. On. The few I've killed we always took it to a processor and had pepperoni sticks and linguica made and it was amazing, had summer sausage from it too that was good.

I have only killed a few even though while blacktail hunting most years the opportunity comes along to kill a t least one. They are a pain in the azz to deal with after dead. Gross to gut as many have large worms in their stomach cavity, they are like dragging a bag of jello with no handles, when you pick one end up everything flows to the other and makes it tough to move.

Best way I have found to process is to cool to 40 degrees or less ( I have a cold room ) this will harden the fat and make it easier to cut the meat out around the fat since it is all around the meat unlike a deer and it is greasy and soft unlike a deer if you don't get it cold. Like I said , pain in the azz.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

I WAS ON A SHEEP HUNT IN CANADA, AND A FRIEND KILLED A REALLY NICE INLAND GRIZZLY BEAR. OUR CHEF COOKED UP A BEAR POT ROAST WITH THE POTATOES, CARROTS,ONIONS .........REALLY GOOD I THOUGHT......THEN 3 WEEKS LATER I FELT TWICHEY & KINDA SICK.....NAW...JUST YANKIN SNORTS CHAIN. IT WAS GOOD..................YD.

>Gross to gut as many have
>large worms in their stomach
>cavity, they are like dragging
>a bag of jello with
>no handles, when you pick
>one end up everything flows
>to the other and makes
>it tough to move.
>
>Bill
>

Geez Bill, talk about turning my stomach.

"FOR SALE; COLORADO BEAR PREFERENCE POINTS"!!

About make me gag here and give me the heebie geebies ! ! !

Sorry there tailchasers, haha!

I have killed and been in on caring for about ten of them and seen LARGE worms in the body cavity of two of them and heard of others. These are not trash bears in fact one was a young boar in the wilderness. They look like pinworms but are the size of night crawlers! Kinda stiff and hard like a piece of red rope licorice......

Probably twenty or thirty of them in there.

Nasty!

Bet you really wanna get rid of those points now huh tail?!?Bill

They ain't worth eating trust me..It almost killed me, and at times I thought I was gonna die...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I appreciate your sincerity to my heebie geebies Bill. LOL

Upon seeing an exit wound that was literally crawling with worms...I just can't stomach the idea of taking a bite of a bear.

I have plenty of friends (I know that surprises most of you) who kill and eat bears every year. I've never heard of anyone getting sick until Snort.

I'f never killed one, but I never turn down bear meat that is offered to me. But I don't ask for it either.:) I have to say that all the bear meat I've eaten was pretty good.....okay....pretty fair. I have a package of ground bear meat in the freezer that was mixed with some beef fat. I'm not sure how I will use it but rest assured it will be cooked well done.

Eel

Eel, I recommend pan searing then bake at 1500 degrees for a few hours..Crispy and not wiggling

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

MMmm... Bear Sashimi !

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I was watching that meat eater show and he was pointing out that 90% of the trich. cases came from bear consumption. If you figure how few people are eating bear, it pretty much says its all bad stuff. Years ago had a friend get it from a bear, even after he thought he was over it he couldn't make it back to the shore after a swim up at Porcupine, ended up drown. I won't touch it after that.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Not my favorite, but not to bad.
I cook it on a BBQ and let the fat drain out.
Have had alot of people who did not know what it was and thought it was great?
Never found the worms or been sick from it.
If I found a worm I don't think I could eat it.
Thank You
Rick

I'm done. Thats just sick! Them dam worms live in the meat too? I thought maybe cross contamination or something with stomach/intestine matter but apparently that is not the case.

You guys have weak stomachs. Myself and my 2 boys have ate 3 bears in the last 4 years. No problems. Just have to be a good cook is all............

-John Wayne

Wow, you guys are scaring me. Got a nice bear in Ontario about 12 years ago and loved the meat and have always thought of going back for more but never made it. No greese, no worms, no trichinae, just threw it on the grill and it was good. These bears with worms, are the from Canada or from warmer States?

Wow you guys are scaring me. I got a nice bear up in Ontario about 12 years ago and loved the meat. Always wanted to go back but never made it. No worms, no greese, no trich, just threw it on the grill and it was good. Shot mine in the fall, these nasty bears, are they from warmer climates?

The ones I've seen them in were on the Kali - OR border.

The worms were in the body cavity not the meat. I dont know if they were inside the stomach or other organs or not, and dont know if some form (eggs or ?) was in the meat or not but if it was it was not visible?

Bill

fldrw22, I replied to your PM....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

fldrw22, I replied to your PM...Give me a call I'll be up until 11pm or so....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I sent you a PM fldrw!

I wouldn't screw around with a Quack Dr!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

I have killed 8 or 9 bears in ID and OR and I have yet to see a parasite or even have one that tasted less than quite good.

Backstraps make good steaks, so that's what I do with them. I do the rumps into roasts, either hams or corned. I also make lots of jerky.
Also, if you ad back a small percentage of beef fat (I do 4%) the ground meat makes burgers that are just like beef. No musky fall deer taste, which is nice for a change.

>I have killed 8 or 9
>bears in ID and OR
>and I have yet to
>see a parasite or even
>have one that tasted less
>than quite good.
>
>Backstraps make good steaks, so that's
>what I do with them.
>I do the rumps into
>roasts, either hams or corned.
>I also make lots of
>jerky.
>Also, if you ad back a
>small percentage of beef fat
>(I do 4%) the ground
>meat makes burgers that are
>just like beef. No musky
>fall deer taste, which is
>nice for a change.

You won't see most of the parasites that do the worst damage

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

fldrw22, You still alive?.. I sent you a PM with my phone number weeks ago.. This sshit aint nothin to screw around with.. It almost killed me...seriously, I was gasping for air as it was paralyzing my respiratory sysytem...

If you're doc just prescribed you penicillin I'm assuming he doesn't know what he is doing... you need to be on ALBENZA for a month long to kill the Trichinosis...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Greatbasin, I agree, the beat meat I've eaten was good, and actually better than deer in terms of flavor. Just one tip for you though - please watch in making jerky out of the bear meat as the low temperatures used wont kill parasites.

Yes!!! I ate Bear Meat once, and three weeks later was diagnosed with trichinosis. Never again.

>Yes!!! I ate Bear Meat
>once, and three weeks later
>was diagnosed with trichinosis.
>Never again.

BWO, how long ago?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I ate some bear roast, and the next day a worm crawled out my ear.

I wanted to take a scalp,but the kill was not mine.

I wish Bucksnort would tell his story to MT FWP, change the law to not having to take meat out of the woods. Just don't leave the carcass next to a road or maintained trail.

If someone wants to eat that garbage, then more power to them, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

>BuckSnort,
>
>I was 10 years ago.

Any long term effects?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I just ate some Bear meat tonight!

You getting better fldr?

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

I ain't eatin' anything that has other critters visible in the meat.

Did a tig welding job on a fishing boat on the Campbell River one summer and had to finish up while the boat was underway and working.

They caught this big ol' Halibut and I loved that chit!......until the mate cut a 2" square out of it and squeezed a lemon onto it.

The flukeworms that came out of that one little spot, put me off fish for years! Too gross! I know that cooking kills them, but I ain't intentionally eatin' dead parasites either!

Did get some body crabs in my beard once from eatin' something I should have inspected more closely.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

I've grown up eating bear. Just like any animal, some taste damn good while others taste horrible. I've always left it in the freezer for at least 6 months before eating and then I've cooked really well. Trich dies when frozen for long periods of time coupled with cooking it well. If you chose not to eat it due to Trich then you should rethink eating pork as well. ;)

>I've grown up eating bear. Just
>like any animal, some taste
>damn good while others taste
>horrible. I've always left it
>in the freezer for at
>least 6 months before eating
>and then I've cooked really
>well. Trich dies when frozen
>for long periods of time
>coupled with cooking it well.
>If you chose not to
>eat it due to Trich
>then you should rethink eating
>pork as well. ;)

It's Very Very rare in commercial pork here in the US.. But Very common in bears..
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Anyone know the rules/regs in Alaska for Brown Bear after it's down?
I have a BB hunt booked for Sept '14 & not too keen on packing or consuming that mealy looking stuff.. Damn sure don't want to pay a small fortune to fly 500lbs of dog food back to AZ either!

I ate one meal of bear in Manitoba off a bear I shot up there. Greasy & not appealing at all. Smelled "weird" & tasted about like it smelled.

------------------
DRSS

You'd Best pay attention to the Alaska Rules/Laws!

They don't care what you think it tastes like & they don't care what it costs you to take care of meat!

Well Boys!

I'm not Hungry this mornin!

Still got the Nasty/Greasy film caked to the roof of my mouth & should last me at least a week!

Got a ways to go
That we all call home

Scotty,

Best of luck on that brown bear hunt.
I know you will do your part.

;-)

You are not required to keep the meat from Brown/Grizz in Ak.

Thanks, HH.
I was told that you were not required.. just thought I would ask on here since all this bear meat talk was going on. I have never hunted brown bear so I was only going on what I had been told prior.
I was hoping you would chime in with your firsthand knowledge. Thanks.

Couple of years out but it will be here before I know it. Couple of big hunts inbetween now and then, but I am certainly looking forward to finding a BIG brownie!

------------------
DRSS

>It's Very Very rare in commercial
>pork here in the US..
>But Very common in bears..
>

The question then is how many of those bear issues are from meat not frozen for a long period of time and not cooked properly?

>>It's Very Very rare in commercial
>>pork here in the US..
>>But Very common in bears..
>>
>
>The question then is how many
>of those bear issues are
>from meat not frozen for
>a long period of time
>and not cooked properly?

Not sure..But I will say this..I'll never eat bear again, even if it was frozen for 5 years then slow cooked for a month..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger. ;) There are a lot of food born illnesses in all kinds of stuff. Doesn't make me stop eating.

>What doesn't kill ya makes ya
>stronger. ;) There are a
>lot of food born illnesses
>in all kinds of stuff.
>Doesn't make me stop eating.
>

Yeah I knew you were gonna say that...lol...

When you are laying on your back gasping for air along side a road waiting for an ambulance and wondering if you are ever going to see your God daughters again then come talk to me about "it's fine as long as its frozen and cooked properly"...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I've had work partners tell me the same thing when they see me drinkin' straight out of creeks. I've been doing it all my life and haven't got the beaver yet. ;)

Well!

There's one of Two things then?

Cannucks are either Tougher than us?

Or they ain't contaminated Mother Earth like the Lower TARDS have!

They ain't Tougher...............just think they are!

Got a ways to go
That we all call home

I killed one last Sept. in Montana. We boned it out and trimmed all the fat, it made some really good smoked snack sticks. I wouldnt hesitate to do it again. Just make sure it is cooked.

Hof

BCBOY - you might be like Luther from the show "Coach". He had eaten so much raw chicken over the course of his lifetime that he never got sick from the salmonella or botchelism. The Screaming Eagles didn't fare too well though.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom