Best Bullet?

smitty

Very Active Member
Alright guys,

I posted awhile back about building a 300 win mag.

The build is underway, now I need to research bullets, primers, brass and powder.

I've heard a lot of good and bad about Berger bullets.

I'm hearing good things about the new Hornady ELD-X.

Bottom line is, I want a bullet that is going to hit where I want and kill whatever it is I'm shooting at.

Currently I shoot a Ruger 300 win mag, and run Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. I've loved them for years. Bought a case, back when Obummer was first elected. They've killed everything I've ever shot at. From close range, out to 638 yards. But, I think that might be the limit to that particular bullet? Maybe not. Most of the animals I've taken have been under 400 yards, I'm building this gun for a few reasons. Number one, I will probably enter a couple local shoots, just for fun, but mostly I want to have the right gun that if my dream buck walks out beyond what my other rifle is capable of, I want to be able to kill that deer with one shot.

So without getting into a debate about long range hunting. I want to get the very best bullet that will fly true, hit it's mark and do a lot of damage. Having said all that.......

What bullet is that?

That'll be the Bullet the Gun Likes!

Not necessarily your Dream Wonder Do All Bullet!

You ever Do any Damage with them Silver Tips smitty?

Does Ms Smitty know about the Build yet?:D

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Bobcat's right. Lots of great bullets out there. Find the one that shoots the best group and charge boldly forward.

I just finished my new 300 and tried Nosler, Hornady, Swift, Berger and ended up with a Barnes XLR.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure.

No she doesn't bessy. I'm sure she'll find out at some point. She just got back from her Scotland trip, if she gripes at all I'll just gently remind her that any gun purchase is like investing. The money doesn't dissapear it just changes form.

In this case it becomes an awesome killing machine.

You Know I'm Only RAZZIN Ya Smit!

So what did you decide on the Build?

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Hart #4 Barrel. Stainless

McMillan thumbhole. Tan and black.

Timney trigger.

Loan Peak Arms Actions. Stainless with black bolt.

Huskemaw 5-20

staying with the 300 win mag. (if it was good enough for Chris Kyle, it's good enough for me)

What'dya think Bess?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-16 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]
Sounds Perty Sweet smitty!

You Know HUSKEMAW has a 5-30-X56 now,Right?

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

A little preview of what your action will look like when it's all done.

2082magnus.jpg

I have reloaded for as long as I can remember and have always used 150 sierra pro hunter for my 300 win. elk , moose ,eland , kudu, gemsbuck never had a chance.I live in ca. and have been using barns unleaded for many year, it started on military land 10 or 15 years ago, so I run 110 in my 270 and 140s in my 7mm wby, I have shot all these bullet out side 400 yrds when needed.I wont shoot unleaded in the 300 win until I have to out of state.I always used the lite bullets since the iron site and 4x scope days, not much drop inside 400, havent changed anything except metal and modern scopes,probably would have shot sierra the rest of my life.

I have reloaded for many years. I have a Sako 85 in .300 Winchester Magnum. It shoots the 180 grain Accubond from Nosler very well. A couple of days ago, I was able to finally locate and buy some Hornady 178 grain ELD-X .308 bullets. I loaded 4 rounds using Nosler brass, WLRM primers with 72 grains of Hodgdon 4831SC powder. The bullets were seated about 15 off the lands. At 100 yards, all four shots were touching. I think I may have a new favorite load and bullet.

just sayin...mh

smitty,
Sounds like a sweet build! I would take a hard look at the Berger 215 gr. Guys over on longrangehunting.com are having great luck with it out of the .300 win mag. The 212 gr ELD-X would be a good choice as well. I've read that the Nosler ABLR doesn't hold up well on close shots where velocity is higher.

NRA Life Member

www.swanspointoutfitters.com

The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once.

Reading about how the Nosler Accubond LR does at close range high velocity impact and actually using it in such case are two different things. mtmuley

I've read these reports from some folks who have actually done it. Based on those reports, I would not want to risk hitting heavy bone at close range with it. Just passing this information along. Have you had any experience with close range high velocity impacts with this bullet? If so, I'd like to hear your results. Always good to have more real world reports on bullet performance.

NRA Life Member

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-16 AT 02:41PM (MST)[p]Had to thread through some low fir branches for the shot. Busted both shoulders. Silver Dollar exit. And why recommend the ELD-X when no kill info is available since the bullet is so new? mtmuley

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-16
>AT 02:41?PM (MST)

>
>Had to thread through some low
>fir branches for the shot.
>Busted both shoulders. Silver Dollar
>exit. And why recommend the
>ELD-X when no kill info
>is available since the bullet
>is so new? mtmuley

I have to agree with mtmuley. Why would someone recommend Berger Bullets and then disparage the LR Accubond for being fragile?
The AB might be more fragile than the Barnes (which it is) but it's not as fragile as the Berger! Been there, done that.
Lots of guys use the Berger and good for them but they are not a tougher bullet than the AB.
Smith, you'll probably need to try several bullets and weights to find the best. Sometimes this is a simple and quick process and sometimes it's not. All part of the fun of a new rifle.
Zeke

Anxious to try my new 28 with the 175 ABLR's. on elk and whitetail, this gun is fun to shoot,and groups very nice. Now i just need some meat on the ground!!

Zeke,
The Accubond LR is not the same bullet as the Accubond. The regular Accobond is designed to expand down to 1800 fps. The Accubond LR is designed to expand down to 1300 fps = softer. I'm not saying they won't kill things, just passing along performance reports. Long track record of success with Bergers. Hundreds of experienced long range hunters who swear by them. The ELD-X is a streamlined Interlock with a plastic tip. The Hornady Interlock has a long track record of success. Of course there are failures or poor performance with any bullet out there. Just seems to be more reports of poor performance of the Accubond LR at close range and high velocity.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3109028
Everyone can do a search for themselves and formulate their own opinion. That's what is so great about these forums and the internet in general. Lots of information out there and lots of opinions. You just have to sift through it all and decide what is best for you.

Sam

NRA Life Member

"You just have to sift through and decide what is best for you"

Truer words were never spoken!

They'll all kill critters and they're all designed for "this or that". Much is dependent on what a guy feels is proper performance for him. I err on the side of penetration and I've had the luxury of seeing what many bullets will do in the field and I always take internet banter with a grain of salt, as I'm sure we all do.

Zeke

The Accubond LR wasn't designed for close range high velocity impact. Hence the "reports". A bullet gets used for a purpose it wasn't intended for and somehow fails. Go figure. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom