Best Coyote call for this weekend?

LTrain210

I have a buddy that got a new Foxpro and he wants to go coyote hunting this weekend. When do they typically "den up" and if they are breeding do they still respond to calls? If so what calls typically bring them in this time of year? I hunt northern and central New Mexico. Thanks for your help.

Go with coyote vocalizations. Start with an interrogation howl, then a female invitation howl, then mix in some female whimpers. If you get one to answer back, immediately go to a male challenge howl-almost try to cut him off if you are fast enough with the call. A pup distress will work too. They are pairing up now and growing more intolerant of intruders in their territory especially with the alpha pair. It's tough right now, but I think that will give you the best chance of calling one in this time of year. In about 3 months it will go from the hardest time of year to the easiest for calling. Then just give them an ear full of pup distress all day long and bring plenty of bullets! Till then be prepared for some tough calling.

We use more coyote vocals this time of year but distress sounds still work. I think it's hard this time of year because they are more focused on mating than anything else. This is the hardest time of year to call them in my opinion.

I forgot to say that even though this is the hardest time of year to call them in we called in 8 coyotes on ONE STAND a couple of years ago this time of year. I notice that when you do call them in this time of year there is a strong possibility of calling in multiples on one stand.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-10 AT 01:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-10 AT 01:00?PM (MST)

LTrain210... everything Mathewsman said is right on the money, you can't kill Yotes this time of the year if you don't get out and try every trick in the book and then some.. PERSISTENCE is key and then some trial and error before you figure out what works.. 2 words.. YOTE VOCALIZATIONS.

Good luck and stack'em up!!

Ol' Buzztail

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.

True Dat!! I got my new Foxpro and got one to come in last Wednesday. I started with the female yips and he aswered back. After 10 min I did the female with no responce. Then I did the pup distress and he came runnin in........let the ol .22-250 have it at 110 yards. I think he was wanting to see why the female was nippin at the pup. Then I got another one the next day from the hood of the car on a dirt road(that's always fun). I would use the male challenge last or only after you know that there is a dominant one in the area. If you have a young male in the area and hit him with the male chalenge right off the bat...he is gonna leave the area quick. I try to stay away from the rabbit calls right now because of the mating season and the fact that they have heard them all winter long.

Good thing I read this post. I just ordered my Foxpro about 15 mins ago. Cant wait for it to come in. Also got a new 25-05 to shot yotes with. So I cant wait to get it tuned in and kill some yotes. Hope to post some pics when I get everthing dialed in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom