Best Gaiters for Horn Hunting???

B

bigbone

Best Gaiters for Horn Hunting???

I have been going through at least one pair of gaiters per shed season. Does anyone know a brand that holds up to horn hunting in snow/brush and is waterproof?

I have been paying around 50-75 bucks for them like from Cabelas but they are not lasting at all. If possible I would like them in a camo so I can use them in late fall too.

I did just buy Kennetreks, I know they will not work for me.

Any help or just brands to stay away from would be useful.

^BIGBONE^

RE: Best Gaiters for Horn Hunting???

ive been using the kenetreks all season and they have been great! holding up better than any others ive owned.
wes.

Try the white buffalo brand. I just purchased a set and have used them on a couple horn hunting trips the past few weeks and they do an amazing job. great quality and rugged material. There are a few things i dont like about them... One, they dont come with a stirrup which may not be an issue to some but it was for me. I solved the problem by adding my own design and seems to be working great. Two. they dont allow your legs to breath too well. I didnt notice at the time I was hiking but after a hard all day hike I took them off and my pants were soaked with sweat. For the price ( I paid $27.00 for them ) I dont think you can find a better built long lasting pair of gaiters. Despite the small complaints I would give these gaiters a 8 out of 10 ranking!

>ive been using the kenetreks all
>season and they have been
>great! holding up better than
>any others ive owned.
>wes.

Wes, my Kennetreks looked like they would be great, they came fast but when I opened the package, the one gaiter was missing the under strap for the boot. I got them to ship a second pair went to put them on, and the hook that is supposed to keep them down on you boot, was so flimsy that it bent straight and came off with a little tug just to pull them up? I don't know how they can expect that lightweight hook to even come close to holding the gaiters down in place if you walk in deep snow or brush. I am sending them back and need to find something that works.

Thanks for any help, I may think about the Buffalo's but the breating thing it also important, I don't think I want to have them hold in moisture.

Again, any advice helpful. I see tons of good looking gaiters but they are all reb, blue and black, I guess I may not find a good camo pair.

^BIGBONE^

i use this outdoor research gaiter:

http://www.rei.com/product/725915

i have abused the crap out of them, especially in brushy country WITH snow, and put on alot of miles with no gaiter problem. they only come in black, but imo that's not a bad thing.

Outdoor Research "Crocodile" gaiters are bar none, the toughest gaiters out there. Mine are black and grey two-tone. After using these, the others are a joke and designed to keep powder snow out of your pant legs.

Well, I agree that the Outdoor Research gaiters are probably the best, just was not excited about the colors they offer. I finally found these after like 4-5 hours of searching online and am excited!

Looks like I may have my cake and eat it too! They actually made some Crocodiles in tan for the military, so I orderd some from the only place I think you can get them..

Check this link to see them..

http://www.wingworks.biz/Accessories/HuntingAccessories/tabid/78/Default.aspx

^BIGBONE^

Nice work and great find! You could take a can of olive drab paint and stencil some camo on them too if its that important. None of the big bucks, bulls and rams I shot ever gave a crap about the color of my gaiters though. They were more concerned by the devastating impact of a 180 slug from my 300 RUM.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom