Best GPS and mapping program?

AZBull

I'm looking into upgrading my current GPS (Garmin Rino 130) for something that will show some more detail and terrain features. Does anybody recommend a good GPS and mapping software? I know I saw a program that shows which type of land it is (private/BLM/State Trust, etc) and am interested in something along those lines. I'm not concerned about having a GPS and radio combined anymore. Thanks for any advice.
- Matt

Hello, I work for the company that has the maps for private/BLM/State etc. We are called onXmaps formally known as Hunting GPS Maps. If you want the largest screen for the Garmin GPS it would be the Montana series. Any of the new models will show a lot more detail than the Rino 130 you have.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Here are the models that we currently carry.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/store/gps-units

Take care,

Nick
onXmaps

I have the oregon 450T with the landowner card in it and its freakin awesome. Dont know how I managed with out it.

Thanks for the info...it looks like I'll be purchasing the oregon 450T. A lot of people are telling me they love their 450s.
-Matt

>Thanks for the info...it looks like
>I'll be purchasing the oregon
>450T. A lot of people
>are telling me they love
>their 450s.
>-Matt

Hey Matt, just to let you know if you plan on purchasing our chip you will not need the GPS with topo, our chip comes with 24k topo while Garmin's comes with 100k. Just to let you know if you wanted to save a little money!

Take care,

Nick

I have the 450T as well as the chips,excellent tool. Invaluable here in NM.
Thanks for the great product Nick!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-14 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]onXmaps aka NICK.....check your MM Mailbox.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Hey Nick,
After reading this thread, I'm considering upgrading my Garmin 76CS to one of the 450 units. I currently have the Mapsource software. Are you saying I don't need the 450T version--only the 450? Are these units compatible with Mapsource or would I need to use your topo cards. I plan to purchase some of the state cards for the western states but don't know what the best way to go is.

I'm seriously considering the Montana 600t which has a larger touch screen and includes topographic mapping. I don't think I would need the built in camera in the Montana 650...
Anybody have experience with the Montana GPS units?

I purchased the Garmin Montana 650t unit the other day along with the OnX Maps landowner chip for a Wyoming hunt. Looking forward to learning the ins and outs of the 650t unit and will post results later. I got a really good deal on this unit even though it will do more than what I initially intended...

Any advice or suggestions on the detailed use of the Garmin Montana 600 series would be greatly appreciated!

Best of luck on your hunts in the upcoming months!

Have had the Montana for a cpl years now. Lots more there than I'll ever use. Get a screen cover and the new lithium batteries. I create my own card and put all my stuff on there. If you choose not to, remember to backup the garmin folder from the gps. Just plug it in and it becomes another drive on the pc. Just copy the whole folder over to a backup folder on an external USB drive like you for your regular pc backups. Keeps your waypoints and stuff safe.

Sound wisdom, WapitiBob! I will take your advice and pick up the screen cover and spare batteries. Any other tips and/or tricks to get the most out of the Garmin Montana?

I use an iOS app for hunting - Spyglass. It's a great navigational toolkit that has an impressive layout and endless list of functions. It supports different maps, including Google maps, Apple maps, Open Street map and Open Cycle map. You can download maps in advance and don't bother about cell signal. It also has many useful features, such as marking waypoints, saving spots (for example, you car or stands locations), measuring your speed and distance to the target, sharing locations with friends and much more. The app even has a sniper's rangefinder!I found it pretty useful for hunting and navigating in the woods.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8&at=11lLc7&ct=c

I have a Garman 64 w/OnXMaps and really like it. Just wish the screen was a little bigger but then it may not fit as easily in a pocket. A buddy has a Montana. The only problem with that is the touch screen can't be used with gloves? You might get cold fingers and have to take your gloves off every time you use it in cold weather?

I have the garmin 62s with the onxmaps. It works very well. It's the only gps/chip combination I've had, so I cannot compare to other models.

I've been researching this for a while too.I just bought a Garmin Montana 650 and the ID premium Onxmaps. I've only played with it around the house but it's a giant step up from the Garmin Etrex Vista I used before this.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom