best shooting rest for no recoil?

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Old shooting rest broke and my new 300 win mag is pounding me. What is the best rest for eliminating recoil? I am looking at the lead sled?

Lead Sled WITH NO WEIGHT. Weigh that sucker down and it'll probably shake your scope unless you bought a Nightforce or similar.
A heavy rifle is your friend on the bench.

+1 Lead sled with NO weights. I have broken a wooden stock with weights in one.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The recoil has to go somewhere. If a rest is weighted down and the gun cannot move, then something has to give.

1. The scope
2. The stock.

I don't use a sled for this reason. Sit back straight and proper form and the gun will not pound you.

Muzzle brake is you friend!
Any 30 cal larger than 300 WSM screams for a brake...for me!
Zeke

I have used both Past shoulder pad and the SIMS recoil pads (on the gun). I like both, but usually the SIMS does an amazing job. You will get some "face slap" if you put your cheek to the stock, but it tames the recoil on your shoulder

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>The recoil has to go somewhere.
>If a rest is weighted
>down and the gun cannot
>move, then something has to
>give.
>
>1. The scope
>2. The stock.
>
>I don't use a sled for
>this reason. Sit back straight
>and proper form and the
>gun will not pound you.
>

I'm no physics major but I fail to see where that logic applies to the scope. Enlighten me.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Don't get a lead sled! Buy a dog-gone-good large shooting bag!!!

Great bags and hardly any recoil

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-16 AT 08:07AM (MST)[p]>Don't get a lead sled!
>Buy a dog-gone-good large shooting
>bag!!!
>
>Great bags and hardly any recoil
>
>
>O--one
>B--big
>A--ass
>M--mistake
>A--america
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I love my Dog-gone-good shooting bags. I also have a lead sled. But it is so much easier to adjust your gun in the bags. Don't really use the lead sled anymore. I use my bags and my DOA shooting bench for everything from my pellet rifle to 50 caliber.

>If you can't shoot it ....don't
>use it....IMO

Agree! If sensitive to recoil, try a lesser cartridge.

Take a maxi pad on slap it on your recoil pad. It's the perfect fit and those things were made for all kinds of... (rhymes with reginas)

I'm pretty tough but I'm not macho about it. A black and blue shoulder is not something I'm proud of. I know guys who like to show it off though. That's cool.

I put a piece of bubble wrap between my shoulder and the recoil pad (usually under my jacket) if I'm going to be shooting more than a few rounds at the range with my 300 win. mag.

Ever think of getting a gun you can actually shoot comfortably? Nothing wrong with a 30-06 or 270. Both have killed tons of game and kick far less than a 300 win mag or any other belted magnum.

I have a 30-06 and 280. I can handle recoil but do not like it plain and simple. Anyone who says they like shooting 40 rounds of 300 win mag are lying, crazy or both.

Put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. I put a brake on my 300 win originally, but now dont even use it. The limbsaver works well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom