Best time to sit water

JRABQ

Got an archery bull tag starting Friday, and I'm considering adding treestand hunting over water to my options, assuming I can find a spot not already "taken". I generally don't have much patience for treestand hunting, so if you were forced to choose when to sit for 3-4 hours, when would you do it. AM, PM, midday??

Thanks,
JR

I have an archery tag as well and in my opinion the last hour and a half or so of light are the best for elk provided you can find an available water hole. I usually stillhunt the first four or five days then switch to water in the evenings during midweek when water usually is available. I say usually, but thats two tags in 11 years. Good luck. The best thing is to be able to spend a lot of time hunting which gives you a little more flexibility with water if thats something you want to hunt.

I shot a bull last year at 3:30pm sitting at a tank. I was only there 15 minutes before he showed up.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

Chase bugles in the a.m., sit water in the p.m.,that's what we generally do at our outfit.

Don Martin
AWO

I have found the most elk at water at the last of light in the evening. You might also sit a wallow from noon-3pm. Chase bugles in the mornings.

CopyofSedona1-2509034.jpg

Got to agree with all the above posts - chasin bugles in the mornin - try to pattern any travel routes - sit water in the pm - if ya find a frssh wallow - i'd sit it all day if especially later on in the hunt - MM

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom