BH209 in the Field

Wasatch

So I've been reading some interesting reviews lately about the new miracle black powder - BH209. It seems like everyone has stellar reviews for it (myself included) if they've only been to the shooting range with it. Most of the bad reviews are from people that used it in the field. My impression, based on all the reviews I have read, is that if it sits in the barrel for a long amount of time it's not igniting the way it should, or in some cases not at all. Has anyone else actually hunted with it? or, shot it while out in the field and experienced this? I've shot it at the range and don't have anything but good to say about it but I'd hate to miss a 400+ bull up in the hills because my powder didn't fire. Anyway, just looking for feedback from anyone out there who has actually used BH209 out in the field while hunting. Did you ever experience a hang or misfire after the powder sat for a while?

I tried it in my long range hunter and I hate it.... I use the Jim Shockey Gold AP

if you're having hang fires you'll need to look at your primers or even the breech plug. I've only shot BH209 in my CVA line up and have had no issues at all. CCI 209M - Fiocchi primers or Remington STS primers all do great in my rifles.
NRAshooting005.jpg

NRAshooting002.jpg

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/

I took a good bull with BH209 and a powerbelt last fall and I will be on your hunt this fall with the same load. No problems using a 209 primer.

worked flawlessly in the field last year for me. Weather was dry so I left the charge in the gun for 3 days with 50 degree temp swings and took a good buck on the last night. BH209 is picky with primers though - took me awhile to find what it liked.

Went on a pack in hunt last fall in Colorado with an Omega and a LRH, both using BH 209 and FPB bullets.

We had a week of rain, sleet, etc and both of our guns went off fine when we had the chance to shoot. The Omega was shot during a snowstorm. We left the guns loaded until needed. Both were loaded at least 4 days when shot.

Don't think the powder is the problem. Hangfires/misfires are the nature of the beast.

As they say: "keep you powder dry"

But there are a lot of other factors, many already mentioned.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I think most hang fires with bh209 is from a fouled breach plug and have nothing to do with the powder.

The stuff works great for me, even with the Knight plunger guns. I've let it sit for a few weeks at a time...no problemo

Last year I left a load in mine in september after our deer hunt, packed it around cali during october season it rained a few times,I pulled it back out in december and went on a pig hunt.I didnt get a pig but I decided to shoot it off when we were leaving it was fine killed the coke can at 30 yards.

I use Win. 209 shotgun primers as recomended by Blackhorn on container,no problemo. Stuff shoots great for me. But I don't leave it loaded all the time...just when hunting.

Thanks guys for all of your responses. I just haven't used it out in the field yet, and after reading a few reveiews wanted to know everyone elses experience. I don't want to miss that perfect shot because of something trivial....

I have used BH209 with CCI 209 primers in the field and I have never had a hangfire. I hunted for 9 days with the same load in before I shot my Bull and it fired like I had just loaded it.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

I also used cci primers and worked flawless. My T/C Omega shot awesome groups with 90grs of BH209 and the Barnes T-EZ 290. Me and my two hunting partners killed 3 bulls last year in NM without any problems. I never had any mis-fires and we shot 100-125 loads at the range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom