BH209 Observation

UngulateFoe

So I'm fairly new to the wonderful wonders of BH209, made a 2" gun out of my 6" muzzleloader (100yds). Noticed something in the past 2 times out shooting. When the barrel is clean, the first shot cannot be depended on to even hit paper. However, the next shot WILL be exactly where it should be. Nothing too unordinary, just a fouling shot right? I also found that at shot number 7 or 8, the groups go to hell. Point being, excellent accuracy with shots 2-7(ish). After that it really starts to throw fliers, and I'm forced to clean, then shoot another fouler to get back where I need. Anybody else notice this?

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

I've decided (for now) that I like a lightly wet spit patch (flip and run again) after every 3rd shot. Then fire off a cap on empty just to blow the crud I've in theory pushed down the barrel into the cup on my Omega breech. There is definatly less crud than 777 and NO crud ring.

I have not experienced your results, sorry. Although I blew though a bottle of the stuff chasing a slightly loose scope, Duoh!!! It finaly became apparent when after changing breech plugs and my group moved a foot and THEN noticed my crosshairs a couple tics past 12...

After that was fixed I can actualy shoot a 1.5" group at 150 yards if I do my part.

110 gr BH, 290 gr Barnes T-EZ, Remington STS primer.

I could use some help though. Is there a way to estimate balistics with 2 known group positions? With the above load I am 1.75" high at 50 yards and dead on at 150 yards. Where should I be at 200 and beyond?

Good shooting!

Bill in MI

This is true. I have access to a comercial ultrasonic cleaner (heats up to about 150 degrees), and it would not remove the cement-like build up in the primer pocket. I finaly used a 1/8 drill to break down that crap built up in there.

Not sure if its the Rem STS, BH209, or both causing it. I saw it with the 777 and 777 primers but it was not as hard of a deposit.

Bill in MI

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom