Big 3 - pref and bonus points

huntfishall1

Seems like with the huge influx of new applicants this year for the big 3 the system of 3 pref points + bonus points is going to become senseless in a few years.

I realize this is relatively new since the drawing recaps just came out but has there been any thought or discussion in changing the drawing/point process for the big 3? Seems the applicants that have been faithfully putting in for years are about to get screwed in a few years.

Sheep applications went from 17,739 last year to 40,993 this year. Goat went from 12,095 to 33,411 this year. In two years, with no doubt even more applicants in the pool, this year's new applicants will be in the draw and you can kiss your chance of drawing the big 3 goodbye! I've been playin the game for nearly 2 decades and they've moved the goal post on us. The words I have for Colorado Parks and Wildlife aren't fit for this site! And if you think this won't affect the other 4 species you're only kidding yourself! But they will all be drivein new trucks this fall!

#livelikezac

Well I guess you guys need to draw in the next 2 years. The newbies don't actually have a shot at a tag until they get 3 points right? I have never put in for those but that is how it was explained to me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

FML. At my age there is a declining number of things to look forward to. This new application system just knocked me on my ass. Rarely have I ever lost hope and even more rare have I admitted it.

I have been putting in for 13 years, so not near as long as some. I try and apply for an easier to draw hunt, but realize the odds are slim.

I always look at draw odds and cost ratio. I don't put in for expo tags or sportsmans draws as the odds are often 5000:1, not worth the cost to me. Looks like in 2 more years I will not be putting in for Colorado as the cost won't be worth the horrible draw odds.

For the money I spend in applying for tags, it is getting to be expensive. I kinda wish they made all tags that the person who drew it- could sell them. That would drop the prices on the tags for purchase big time. Then I could spend 2-3k on a tag every year and go hunt instead of playing the application game that is rapidly becoming to expensive for me.

It will be interesting to see how much the deer and elk applicants went up? We shall see but I'm betting not nearly as much as these trophy species. I feel this influx will be from the ppl that were already applying for deer and elk there and now decided to throw their name in for the big three due to lower fees. But I don't think it's totally new ppl that weren't already applying in CO for something

>It will be interesting to see
>how much the deer and
>elk applicants went up? We
>shall see but I'm betting
>not nearly as much as
>these trophy species. I feel
>this influx will be from
>the ppl that were already
>applying for deer and elk
>there and now decided to
>throw their name in for
>the big three due to
>lower fees. But I
>don't think it's totally new
>ppl that weren't already applying
>in CO for something

Will a 25% increase be too much? I'm betting it will be at least that much, more than likely more!

#livelikezac

I predict a significant uptick in how many people put in for a point, but not nearly as many that actually put in for a tag. Hope so anyway

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom