big big 5 point

R

Russ

If someone will give me there e-mail, I will send them a picture of a 370ish maybe bigger 5 point to post.

Russ,

Send it to

[email protected]

and I will have it up by this afternoon.

Mike
at235.gif

Here it is, nice looking five pointer for sure!!!

fad31194.jpg

fad31188.jpg

Great thirds on that guy. Thanks for sharing it with us Russ.

Mike
at235.gif

That is a huge 5 point. Was that picture taken through your spotting scope. Are you hunting this elk.

Yes the picture is taken through a spotting scope with a camcorder. We were hunting elk in this area, but looking for one a little bigger. The hunting season is now over, and I am pretty sure he never got shot.

What State were you hunting in??? Can you tell us a General Area?? I was hunting down in Fairview Utah this year and saw two really nice 5x5's....not quite that big....but about 320-330.....im wondering if there is starting to be a 5x5 gene in my area.......ive seen a lot of 6x6 and a few 7x7's down there before....even snuck a peak at a 9x9 non typical last year......

Anyways.....Great bull.......

It is in utah, but not around fairview. Utah definetly has some problems with a 5 point gene. I have seen 3-5 5 point bulls that are not much smaller than this bull. We have wondered if a special cull hunt would be good. Nobody with a regular tag wants to shoot a 5 point, they want a 6 point.

Give me one of those tags and I'd dump any 5 pt that size, without any second thoughts. Awesome bull. The biggest 5 I've ever seen alive would have probably been pushing 280 or so. I saw one in a pickup this week that I'm sure was a 300 bull though.

There is a 5x5 gene pool on Southwest Desert. Everyone is shooting or trying to shoot the 6x6's and NT's. This leaves the 5x5 gene pool to continue unhindered.

I think we will see much more of this here in Utah with the current limited entry system. After waiting 18 or 20 years for one of these limited entry permits, people are simply not going to take a 5x5.

Russ, did your guy get a nice bull or did he go empty handed? It takes some big ones to pass up bulls like this.

I'll waste my 9 points on a 5x5 cull archery hunt on the Southwest Desert unit. I think a bull like that might go 375 or better.

Cheers,
Pete

We ended up killing a great bull on this hunt. He ended up being bigger than this 5 point. I would like to see a youth cull hunt for these 5 points, or if a person wanted to use there points on this cull hunt let them. 5 points like this one, are a lot of the times breeding the cows. Just because they are not 6 points don't mean they are not the toughest.

Thats a super bull , I'd love a chance of letting the air outta a bull that big . Cull hunts for bulls that big , are you sure you don't mean TROPHY HUNT lol , thats a dream bull to me . Thanks for sharing ....NMhuntnutt

Looking for one a little bigger???? Did you say you felt he would go 370??? How much bigger would you hold out for?

We ended up killing a beautiful 394 6x6 green. That score comes from an official scorer also.

Below is the a big 5 I posted a few months ago. I would love to find his sheds and see what he really scores.

while there is definitely a 5 point "gene", it's been my experience that you see a lot of big 5x5's and 5x6's and 6x6's with really weak 5th points during dry years. precipitation seems to have a real effect on the big 5x5's showing up. i know i've seen elk that were a 6x6 one year and the next year be a really large 5x5 and the year after be a 6x6 again. lack of rain really seems to have a lot to do with having weak 5th points. but this bull looks to be just a 5x5, no matter what the weather is. that's the biggest 5x5 i think i've ever seen. think what he'd score with even 12" 6th points.

That is a giant 5! Wow. I think a giant 5 like that is just as good a trophy as a 6 that scores the same or a little higher. Not sure what I"d do with the tag though!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom